What's new

My Guess... 3017

View attachment 1011659

@beginish

The Tabac started in May is about to go bye-bye.

Next up is an AoS Lavender puck.

:yikes:

You still don't mess around. Is that an original tallow-based Lavender puck, or the veggie reformulation.

That's about the fastest I've seen a puck of Tabac go, @johnniegold !
What did you do, spread it on toast every morning? :letterk1:

Leave it to Sam to think it and say it before I even see the post.

Let’s just say I ain’t shy. :biggrin:

Nor should we be. Frankly, I decided to play nicely with the good soaps, the easy to lather, pleasures to use kind, and not just kill them. Then I went and calculated that I still had 10 years worth of soap even if I loaded it like I hated it. I would like to buy at least one more soap before I die, so I'm back on the load it like I hate it bandwagon. The sole exception will be the vintage puck of tallow-first Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, complete with original scent, which I will milk for as long as I can make it last. And the stick of Irisch Moos.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Leave it to Sam to think it and say it before I even see the post.
Being in a time zone a few hours ahead of you allows me to get the scoop (does anyone use that newspaper term anymore?) by reading your posts before you've even typed them. :tongue_sm

IMG-20190829-WA0003.jpg

I havnt quite read the whole thread but working my way through it and it makes for very good reading!

This is my current collection of soaps, whilst it may be modest for some, its too many for me.

I started with the 'Soap of the Month' club and really noticed the difference getting to know my soap and was getting much better shaves from them when I used them pretty much exclusively. Its also very nice to see the soap getting smaller haha.

So I've decided to give 3017'ing a go. I'm going to participate in Speicktember then after I'll crack on with getting through my soaps. The Edwin Jagger soap in the pot is nearly finished as is the Saponificio Bignoli. The two bags are samples of MDC and the soap in the plastic pot is Aqua Via Barberia Omega, also partially used.

Look forward to being here more often in the near future.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You have some nice stuff there, @Southern_S . Don't worry about not having as much soap as some of us. Trust me, we're trying hard to get down to your level or lower.

Having lots of soap doesn't matter if you are unable to enjoy using them all.

Nice stash @Southern_S ! There's a few in there I look forward to hearing about... and maybe trying in time. I actually have a Saponificio Bignoli that I haven't touched yet and have heard very little about.

Remember it's not about the size of your collection, it's how you use it.

Nice stash! I’d encourage you to use it all, then purchase a product at a time. I used to do that with Barbasol foam! Now, I don’t know if I’ll outlive my stash!

Already thinking about the next product as Haslinger coconut is shrinking away despite needing very little product to create a large amount of fantastic lather.

1E4735B7-4EC6-42FC-A19E-7FAD87FC5D83.jpeg

You have some nice stuff there, @Southern_S . Don't worry about not having as much soap as some of us. Trust me, we're trying hard to get down to your level or lower.

Having lots of soap doesn't matter if you are unable to enjoy using them all.

Exactly. I worry that I will die before I finish and my family will bin the good stuff.

A week of Pré de Provence shaves have been good but not great. I shampooed my brush and great lather has exploded off the puck the last couple of days. A lesson I should have learned years ago.

Just a thought that needs restating now and again - if you're absolutely sure you want to reduce your soap stash and are loading like you hate it, and you know you would be happier with a small or minimal rotation - why not sell or pif your stash rather than commit to a decade long purge? I can sense a lot of anxiety in some of the posts in this thread. Yes, there are some that enjoy the challenge of culling the flock, but that purge-anxiety is a real thing that can spoil a hobby.

Enjoy, whichever path you take:)

Just a thought that needs restating now and again - if you're absolutely sure you want to reduce your soap stash and are loading like you hate it, and you know you would be happier with a small or minimal rotation - why not sell or pif your stash rather than commit to a decade long purge? I can sense a lot of anxiety in some of the posts in this thread. Yes, there are some that enjoy the challenge of culling the flock, but that purge-anxiety is a real thing that can spoil a hobby.

Enjoy, whichever path you take:)

Except for a PIF I receive once in a while my stash consists of all high quality products that I enjoy using. The size of my stash is due to pricing. When I find a sale I load up. So I am unconcerned with how long it takes me to deplete the stash. In fact, when it’s gone I don’t know what I would replace it with except more of the same.

So it’s a win win win. I enjoy the 3017 approach, I get to use all top notch products, and it’s costs me nothing because it’s all been paid for for a long time.

I failed at another 3017 effort.

The Palmolive stick isn't so much a fail as a redeployment from 3017 duty to being a permanent resident of my fishing cabin. This is by no means casting any shade upon the Palmolive stick. While its not a 5 star soap its certainly a decent product.

I generally don't bring my DOPP kit to the fishing cabin as I often don't shave for days on end when I'm there. Sometimes a guy just needs a shave though and in those moments I like to have something on hand. My shave kit at the cabin consisted of a Gillette Guard, a $10 synthetic brush, and a tube of lime KMF cream.

Well, this past weekend I brought the Palmolive stick along because I remembered that my son had used the last of the KMF earlier this Summer. The Palmolive stick handled the hard water remarkably well and I decided to leave it up there where I trust it will perform yeoman's duty for many months.

Up next....not sure. I think I will knock around a bit until something speaks to me. Autumn chill is just around the corner. Maybe a TABAC stick or C&S 88 is in order.

Top Bottom