What's new

My Guess... 3017

Today I hit a few milestones.

First off I finished reading this thread from page one to 1080. I've learned much from that journey and have no doubt I'm far ahead of the learning curve because of everyone's contributions.

Secondly I finally gathered all my soaps for a group photo and generated a spreadsheet to track what I've used, my current victim, and my backlog. I have 4,239 g or 9.34 lbs of soap in wait... the spreadsheet is a little sobering and has curbed my SAD for now.

Lastly I've broken through my Valobra. My shave this morning left a little dark blue spot staring back at me. At 34 shaves and over 50 g left I'm moving through this puck notably slower than anything before. The lather has been plentiful and the shaves great.

Maybe once I start reading the thread in real time I won't feel like I'm the slowest shaver ever. Pretty sure @rockviper finished a brick of p.160 withing 5-6 of my shaves.
20190820_204639.jpg

Enjoy working through that stash!

P.S. I said I wouldn’t be back until I finished Haslinger coconut, but I am going to add that this is the shortest load time I have ever used for a soap, including MDC.

Finished up a cake of Haslinger Ringelblumen on Saturday.
Next up, Wickham Club Cola. Love the stuff! I chopped it into quarters, and will use each segment in the OS mug. Good times.

Thanks and I look forward to the shaves. I've used aprox 500 grams over the past year so roughly 10 years is what I expect... minus those sent to shower duty.

That Club Cola has a great and interesting scent. There's part of me expecting it to feel like carbonated fizz on my chin.

Still trying to finish Provence Sante Green Tea. The ring in the edge corner had been holding out for weeks. Consistent, great shaves.

Just took a business trip where I took a break from the Palmolive menthol cream and used my travel stick of La Toja for 2 shaves. Can't wait for the year of creams to be over! I have a travel CO Bigelow and TOBS Eton College to finish up this year, and then I doubt I'll ever buy another cream.

@Bugin nice group photo. I see quite a few soaps there that are in my backlog. I currently have 58 unopened soaps but have been afraid to take a group picture in the off chance SWMBO finds it. My current project is a brick (800 grams or so) of Vitos super coco... after about six months of usage I seem to be using it up at a lightning pace of about a gram per shave so it will be a bit more than two years and then I only have 58 more soaps to go. I should be ready to buy more soap in the mid to late 2030s.

At first I was randomly grabbing a soap when I finished one. But awhile back folks were concerned with how long creams and croaps last so I have been still randomly grabbing but working my way through creams (done) then moving from softer soaps to hard... When I get to my triple milled stuff I am a bit afraid as I am the uh... outlier that got 428 shaves from a puck of DR Harris Marlborough. Most of the soaps in my stash were spoken of in positive terms in this thread so I figure I have several years of learning the nuances and getting one great shave after another.

Ruckin.

You have about three decades of shaving soap there the way I use it. I'm figuring at least six months on a stick of Arko (two pass shaves, all I seem to have time for these days). My own soaps don't go any faster, either.....

My Valobra 100g puck lasted me 80 fantastic shaves, which translates to a €0.19 per shave. Not bad

Currently finishing up a tub of Castle Forbes Lavender cream, a slice of Cella brick and the 75ml tube of AdP Balm.

The balm has been used 120 shaves already, so I am pretty satisfied with its yield.
Cella is incredibly cheap, I am estimating under €0.04 per shave.

Last edited:
I posted earlier that I was having better lathers with the Palmolive stick using synthetic knots rather than badger. Today I pulled out one of my favorite brushes, a faux ivory handled 24mm M&F finest badger tied by Mr. Lee Sabini himself.

This brush hasn't seen daylight in a while as I got sidetracked playing with boars, synthetics, etc. This badger has a bit of scritch and quite a lot of backbone. I forget the loft, but have it posted here somewhere and will track it down. I wasn't expecting much of a lather based on previous experiences with badgers and Palmolive, but I really wanted to give this great brush a go.

Much to my surprise I was rewarded with the best Palmolive lather yet. Very dense, well hydrated, shiny lathery goodness and it was produced in maybe 30 seconds of face lathering.

So I guess I shouldn't have put all badgers in the same category. This particular Lee Sabini is a Palmolive lathering master.

Finished my B&M Reserve Spice today after 34 shaves.
I have a reserve classic in stock so probably won't get the reserve again. I liked the glissant base better and have not tried the excelsior yet.

The next few months are going to have some rotation. I'm using three soaps:
  1. MdC Fougere
  2. DG Trismegistus
  3. M&M Claddagh
Not because i want to use these three up, but with spring coming in my neck of the woods, the MdC will be fantastic. Its only got a handful of shaves on it so might last for some time. The other 2 are barely used, so if i rotate occasionally, i might end up with 2 kills at a similar time, and when 1 finishes, i'll add a new third soap into the mix. Not sure how many uses in a row each soap will get, maybe 1, 3, 5 or 10, or indeed a mixture.

Finished a 60% puck of Provence Sante Green Tea this morning and finished a tube of unscented Every Man Jack shaving cream in my travel kit yesterday. Provence Sante is a fabulous soap. I have one more in back stock.

A puck of Pré de Provence is on the clock and I threw a small tube of Kent shaving cream in the dopp kit.
[*]Provence Sante Green Tea 60% 8/26/2019
[*]Every Man Jack Shave Cream (Travel) 8/25/2019
[*]Palmolive stick grated in tub 6/30/2019
[*]Antica Barberia Colla ABC hard puck 5/25/2019
[*]Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge 3/9/2019
[*]Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna 12/23/2018
[*]Strop Shoppe Bay Rum 8/25/2018
[*]Mondial Tabacco Verde 4/8/2018
[*]Musgo Real Classic Cream 12/31/2017
[*]DR Harris Almond 10/28/2017
[*]Valobra Shaving Stick 3/20/2017
[*]Savon d barbe (Vetyver) - 11/17/2016