What's new

My Guess... 3017

@brucered i feel your pain. Their is no local availability of decent shaving products near me. That’s what drove me to load up on a few of my favorite soaps when I could take advantage of cheap pricing and freight. I keep about a years supply of soap/cream in a drawer. The rest is vacuum sealed and stored in a cool dry place where it’s out of sight and out of mind. If I could buy a few soaps or creams locally that I liked I would have no stock pile at all. I really hate paying as much for freight as I do the product itself and even though I’m a minimalist at heart I had to face the fact that I was just going to have to find a few favorite products and make a place to safely store them.

After killing a tube of Derby Lemon cream, I faffed around a bit then decided to go with an Arko stick. Been a while but the stuff just works. No complaints at all.

Nice to see the thread still going strong.

Haslinger Coconut finally got an honest chance at home this morning. When I used it in Chicago I was surprised that it didn't perform as well as I've read. I could tell the water was hard, though. After this morning's shave, I can say Haslinger is the real deal. I wish it had a more authentic Coconut scent, but it is a fantastic performer. Slick, dense, protective, no irritation, rinses clean, and leaves a very good post shave feel. Close to Tabac, vintage OS and vintage AOS, in terms of performance. The LEA stick I just finished is not far off in performance, though. One of the top tier soaps for sure, and I think I may not have realized its full potential.

After a little experimenting today, I found Valobra Lavanda burns my skin. Perhaps this is why I feel the performance is lacking. I felt the slight burn before during my shaves, but attributed it to the newly acquired DEs I have been using. I assumed the new razors were not as smooth. After my shave today, I rinsed my face completely and everything felt good. I then applied the left over lather on my face and felt my skin starting to burn.

Needless to say this will end my tour with this soap.

D76B7E6C-4AAF-4B20-B1D8-8F66B010CE9F.jpeg D4693E13-1A8B-4D8F-BAF7-70B36CA42FAC.jpeg
After pass 1 applied. Fantastic lather in a 24mm TGN Finest.
8BDED1C7-3DF6-49F0-84DC-5FD5AC5B2B03.jpeg
Squeeze out after pass 2 applied.

Last edited:
Haslinger Coconut finally got an honest chance at home this morning. When I used it in Chicago I was surprised that it didn't perform as well as I've read. I could tell the water was hard, though. After this morning's shave, I can say Haslinger is the real deal.

Interesting, on my first test I also wasn't blown away by Haslinger so I'm guessing it just doesn't handle hard water as well as many other soaps. I should try it with distilled

A few years ago I grated a puck of Haslinger (tallow formula) into a shave stick and used it in many different water hardnesses and was still able to achieve excellent lathers. The only difference I recall is with hard water I increased the amount of water to the ratio.

Speaking of hard water, I got two shaves in with the Palmolive shave stick in the very hard water found on the Canadian border. Both lathers were slick, dense, and protective. On a side note, I'm finding that a synthetic knot works much better with Palmolive than a few of my badgers. I havent tried a boar yet. The fact that Palmolive handles hard water well and prefers synthetic knots speaks well of its use as a travel soap.

Fraser’s and Stephan’s Shave Cream both come in 1 pound tubs, are very inexpensive and fly under the radar here, and both are on my short list of products to get when my stash is lower.

Looking forward to trying them both, although a 16oz tub will last me a year.
Have you tried the Stephan’s yet?

A few years ago I grated a puck of Haslinger (tallow formula) into a shave stick and used it in many different water hardnesses and was still able to achieve excellent lathers. The only difference I recall is with hard water I increased the amount of water to the ratio.

Speaking of hard water, I got two shaves in with the Palmolive shave stick in the very hard water found on the Canadian border. Both lathers were slick, dense, and protective. On a side note, I'm finding that a synthetic knot works much better with Palmolive than a few of my badgers. I havent tried a boar yet. The fact that Palmolive handles hard water well and prefers synthetic knots speaks well of its use as a travel soap.
My Semogue 1305 worked great with the Palmolive Soap Stick, and the hard water in South Eastern Washington State.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

My Semogue 1305 worked great with the Palmolive Soap Stick, and the hard water in South Eastern Washington State.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I have a 26mm Brad Sears badger that is my favorite knot for triple milled soaps. I can get a decent enough lather out of Palmolive using the Sears, but it ends up a bit thin. When I use a synthetic knot i have a dense fantastic lather from Palmolive in 30 seconds.

This morning I tried a B&B Essential Boar and the results were very similar to those of the synthetic, a fast dense well hydrated lather. :).

This Palmolive stick is proving to be a good honest shave soap. Tons of slickness. Decent protection. unobtrusive scent. Yet another high value, inexpensive European product.

I have a 26mm Brad Sears badger that is my favorite knot for triple milled soaps. I can get a decent enough lather out of Palmolive using the Sears, but it ends up a bit thin. When I use a synthetic knot i have a dense fantastic lather from Palmolive in 30 seconds.

This morning I tried a B&B Essential Boar and the results were very similar to those of the synthetic, a fast dense well hydrated lather. :).

This Palmolive stick is proving to be a good honest shave soap. Tons of slickness. Decent protection. unobtrusive scent. Yet another high value, inexpensive European product.

Those B&B boars are special brushes.

I'm following this thread closely, and I'm pretty confident (please correct me if I'm wrong) there hasn't been a picture of an empty container of Nuávia. This should be rectified. Couple of weeks ago I embarked on a journey with Nuávia Rosso. It has been interrupted by a week long business trip during which I've learnt that Klar is not my cup of tea. It makes good shower soap though.
Still, I intend to find out whether there are interesting things buried deep down inside this fancy bowl of Nuávia. It should take a year of daily use, or thereabouts. When traveling I will finish off the jar of AdP (maybe two weeks, or less left), and other bits and pieces.

Last edited:
I 3017'd a crock of Nuavia Blu a few years ago. Nuavia is an excellent performer. Be careful when nearing the bottom of the crock, you never know what lies in the depths.....

Nuavia Blue.JPG

Yes they are Bob. Its one of my favorite brushes that will always be in my den. From a distance it looks terribly average, but put bristle to soap, croap, or cream and its all business.

I don’t know what Omega did to make it, but it was the one boar I’ve ever bought that was broken in and ready to go out of the box. The tips were split and it lathered like a dream. I know they cost more, but boy was it worth the extra $10.

I 3017'd a crock of Nuavia Blu a few years ago. Nuavia is an excellent performer. Be careful when nearing the bottom of the crock, you never know what lies in the depths.....

View attachment 1009517
Nice! I don’t recall seeing that! Love the dish. Somewhere down the line...

Gonna post one more thing about Haslinger before the final shave tally...

That layer of lather that lies next to the skin closely rivals Tabac. Very slick, very protective.

:em2700:

Last edited:
Nice! I don’t recall seeing that! Love the dish. Somewhere down the line...

Gonna post one more thing about Haslinger before the final shave tally...

That layer of lather that lies next to the skin closely rivals Tabac. Very slick, very protective.

:em2700:

Time flies, it was 4 years ago that I tried Nuavia Blu. I had to go back through the posts because I couldnt recall how long it lasted. As I was reading through posts it came back to me that it was a short 3017 effort because I had an allergic reaction to Blu. It lit my face up like a Christmas tree. Also the scent was way too strong for me and both I and SWMBO didnt care for it. Performance was excellent. It may have been a 5 star soap for me, but the scent and allergic reaction made it a no go. I think I used it off and on for a month but ended up cutting the effort short.

Top Bottom