What's new

My Guess... 3017

Most of my experience is with tallow version. With that formula I noticed no performance difference between the various flavors.

It’s a hard puck so needs a little break in. It’s also a very concentrated soap. I’d load a bit heavy first few shaves, then dial loading time back. It’s very water tolerant as well...load heavy then just keep adding water....lots of water. You’ll find the sweet spot.

Now, as far as gong back to Merz goes.....my answer would be hell yes! :).

Thanks for the feedback. Very curious to see how it performs back home in SWFL. The water strikes me as very hard here. I think I can resist Schafmilch for now. I was supposed to wait until current stock was gone before purchasing Haslinger (like Egmont!).

Second go this morning was better. Very faint coconut scent. I think I smell the soap base more than coconut. No skin irritation. Enough lather with a regular load for a couple passes and touchups.

Ok. Third lather was the charm. I can see why Haslinger is one of the highest rated soaps. Arrived at the wet sheen this morning. Very good cushion and slickness. I wish it had Trumper’s Coconut Oil soap scent. I might add a little coconut oil to my scuttle at home.

Close to finishing the tube of Macca Root SC. Need two hands to bend and squeeze the last bit out. That’s not one of those flimsy tubes, tough plastic. I thought today would be the last day, but pretty sure there’s another shave in there ... but it will have to wait until I return from 12 days in Italia.

So, I consider this the end of my 3017 journey. Other than the tiny puck of VDH Deluxe I bought for the trip, I need to start over. This has been an eight year effort.

I don’t want to be overstocked again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congratulations! I am a bit over 3 years in and looking at probably 5 more years to finish off my current stock. Well done achieving your goal!

So, I consider this the end of my 3017 journey. Other than the tiny puck of VDH Deluxe I bought for the trip, I need to start over. This has been an eight year effort.

Congrats, @Egmont! I hope I live long enough to finish my current stash of soaps!

View attachment 1001924
First try with Haslinger Coconut ($8 at Merz Apothecary Downtown). First impression? About the size of a Godrej puck! Loaded very lightly for the first pass, because I heard it is an alltime great. Light coconut scent, but there is a really fresh, clean note underneath. Light, airy lather that wanted to go away with added water. Did a first pass. Nice glide, but I definitely needed more soap. There was nothing left in my small travel brush for a second pass. Loaded a bit closer to normal, and I start to see the potential in this puck. Good post shave, but my impression is more of a clean rinser than a rich moisturizer. I’ll try a normal load time tomorrow. One question: Do I need to go back to Merz for Schafmilch? Does it perform better than Coconut?

I only have experience with the tallow versions but I haven't noticed a huge difference between the scents. The Schafmilch is probably my least favorite scent of all of Haslinger stuff. In my experience, just load it up and go at it. It's not precious. It's soap. lather it up thickly and luxuriously. That goes for all product BTW. It should be some of the thickest and most protective of all soap lather out there. At least that's my experience. But again, I've only ever used the tallow version. No idea on the veggie stuff.

Close to finishing the tube of Macca Root SC. Need two hands to bend and squeeze the last bit out. That’s not one of those flimsy tubes, tough plastic. I thought today would be the last day, but pretty sure there’s another shave in there ... but it will have to wait until I return from 12 days in Italia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely awesome work (also great avatar!)

I hit my stride with Palmolive menthol cream. Jumpin’ jimminy Crickets this stuff makes a wonderful, slick, protective lather. The wintergreen scent is nothing to get excited about but is perfectly acceptable.

Of course...I’m not 3017 Palmolive, I’m only using it to cheat on what’s left of my little MW stick. Hot sticky weather continues a few more days here. Sometime next week I’ll set Palmolive cream aside and wrap up the MW 3017 effort.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@Egmont

Nicely done. An 8-year run is truly impressive.

I never returned to having a well-stocked collection of soaps and creams. (Or anything else for that matter.)

After I concluded my 3017 journey, I began using the same set-up everyday for months on end.

I went from this...

B4BFD2F5-4D09-473F-BEDB-BCE7E8352859.jpeg

To this....

Merkur 23c
Red IPs
Duke 3 Best (Somerset)
Tabac s/s - Moss Waterfall Scuttle
Thayers Lavender w/h
Tabac a/s
Royall Muske edt

I still have 12 or so brushes and about the same amount of razors stored a box somewhere. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

The Provence Sante I have been working on for the last 2 months gave me its last shave. I mixed in (rotated, not combined) CB Glacé Herbe on warm days and the menthol was nice. So nice that I may roll right into this as my next soap. Im going on a trip later this week so I think I’ll fool around and commit to my next victim when I return.

@Egmont

Nicely done. An 8-year run is truly impressive.

I never returned to having a well-stocked collection of soaps and creams. (Or anything else for that matter.)

After I concluded my 3017 journey, I began using the same set-up everyday for months on end.

I went from this...

View attachment 1002918

To this....

Merkur 23c
Red IPs
Duke 3 Best (Somerset)
Tabac s/s - Moss Waterfall Scuttle
Thayers Lavender w/h
Tabac a/s
Royall Muske edt

I still have 12 or so brushes and about the same amount of razors stored a box somewhere. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I don’t think there was any Tabac in your original run, and IIRC, you had never finished a soap before you started 3017ing. Was your first use of Tabac soap after you completed the run?

During my week on vacation, I used the QED Rosie shave stick, a wonderfully-scented version of the now defunct QED glycerin based shave soaps. Truly fabulous shaves, and when used with Harris Pink AS, I had a persistent masculine rose afterglow for several hours. I will treat this stick with kid gloves, along with the Irisch Moos stick.

Tomorrow, I’m back to TOBS Jermyn Street soap, which already has 3 months of use on it.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I don’t think there was any Tabac in your original run, and IIRC, you had never finished a soap before you started 3017ing. Was your first use of Tabac soap after you completed the run?

Actually, I used Tabac prior to the run in shave stick form but I don’t think I finished any one soap prior to that.

As a side note, the defunct QED Bathtub Gin glycerin-based soap was awesome.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Top Bottom