What's new

My Guess... 3017

Thank's Clayton and believe me that was probably going to happen until I remembered my third option and what I do usually when I travel. Grab the Frankensoap and hope for the best.

I went for an evening shave. The water is soft, the lather and shave were phenomenal and I could distinctly smell three good soaps in the mix. It was like going out of town to visit old friends. It's a way to keep my frankensoap size in check. While taking a moment from my latest 3017 victim.

It also made me wonder... I've read 84% of this thread(working hard to finish) and I know at least a handful of people have a dish going but I can't recall anyone mention using it. How big are they now? Are you still making it? And when will you use it?
Lately I've just been putting the old pucks remnants on top of the next soap that I plan to use. The last time I had a Frankensoap was when I was into soap sticks and I would grate the remnants into a plastic dish. That was about two years ago and I got some great shaves from that soap mixture.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Provence Sante Green Tea took about two days to dial in. Good performance and great scent.

That is currently my top-rated soap. It's a winner on latherability, cushion, glide, post-shave feel and scent.

Interesting. I'll have to put that next on my list, after I finish the vintage Old Spice I'm working on now. I just broke through the bottom.

BTW, @beginish, have you tried Institut Karite? I haven't used it or Provence Sante for a while, but I seem to recall that they are similar in performance.

I was only going to take a day or two break from 3017ing MW, but I’m enjoying Palmolive menthol cream so much, and with more tropical weather coming, I think I’ll keep using this for several more days.

Performance of Palmolive cream is just great. In fact I like this cream so much that I never get around to 3017ing it. It’s just one of those that’s nice to have on hand.

Interesting. I'll have to put that next on my list, after I finish the vintage Old Spice I'm working on now. I just broke through the bottom.

BTW, @beginish, have you tried Institut Karite? I haven't used it or Provence Sante for a while, but I seem to recall that they are similar in performance.

Not Beginish, but have 3017’d both. IK performs well though PS is better in my experience. IK scent is very powdery. I much prefer the PS Green Tea scent.

I was only going to take a day or two break from 3017ing MW, but I’m enjoying Palmolive menthol cream so much, and with more tropical weather coming, I think I’ll keep using this for several more days.

Performance of Palmolive cream is just great. In fact I like this cream so much that I never get around to 3017ing it. It’s just one of those that’s nice to have on hand.
I'm not a menthol guy, but the regular Palmolive cream and Lather is my all time favorite cream.

I'm not a menthol guy, but the regular Palmolive cream and Lather is my all time favorite cream.

Yes, Palmolive cream lather is outstanding. I generally don't go for menthol myself either. Thats why this tube of Palmolive only gets used a handful of times each summer. However, every once in a while menthol sure hits the spot and the Palmolive lather is excellent.

I've used Palmolive cream off and on for years but never tried the menthol version until a few years ago. Up until then I always kept a tube of Proraso Green on hand for my occasional summer menthol fix. Once I discovered Palmolive menthol the Proraso green was PIF'd and I never looked back.

The current tube of Palmolive will likely last several years and when its time to replace it I sure hope its still available.

Yes, they’re very similar Shea butter-based soaps, and I like both, but put PS ahead.

7DCEA0F7-79F0-4403-92A0-8D31537DC317.jpeg
First try with Haslinger Coconut ($8 at Merz Apothecary Downtown). First impression? About the size of a Godrej puck! Loaded very lightly for the first pass, because I heard it is an alltime great. Light coconut scent, but there is a really fresh, clean note underneath. Light, airy lather that wanted to go away with added water. Did a first pass. Nice glide, but I definitely needed more soap. There was nothing left in my small travel brush for a second pass. Loaded a bit closer to normal, and I start to see the potential in this puck. Good post shave, but my impression is more of a clean rinser than a rich moisturizer. I’ll try a normal load time tomorrow. One question: Do I need to go back to Merz for Schafmilch? Does it perform better than Coconut?

View attachment 1001924
First try with Haslinger Coconut ($8 at Merz Apothecary Downtown). First impression? About the size of a Godrej puck! Loaded very lightly for the first pass, because I heard it is an alltime great. Light coconut scent, but there is a really fresh, clean note underneath. Light, airy lather that wanted to go away with added water. Did a first pass. Nice glide, but I definitely needed more soap. There was nothing left in my small travel brush for a second pass. Loaded a bit closer to normal, and I start to see the potential in this puck. Good post shave, but my impression is more of a clean rinser than a rich moisturizer. I’ll try a normal load time tomorrow. One question: Do I need to go back to Merz for Schafmilch? Does it perform better than Coconut?

Most of my experience is with tallow version. With that formula I noticed no performance difference between the various flavors.

It’s a hard puck so needs a little break in. It’s also a very concentrated soap. I’d load a bit heavy first few shaves, then dial loading time back. It’s very water tolerant as well...load heavy then just keep adding water....lots of water. You’ll find the sweet spot.

Now, as far as gong back to Merz goes.....my answer would be hell yes! :).

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My 4-shave experience with the TTFFC Sue Moore Pink Grapefruit soap has not had the best of starts. Tingles when face lathering (but not enough to pose a problem) and, like the Shaving Yeti I 3017d before it, a dissipating 2nd pass lather. Going to try what I did with the Yeti soap and go closer to a paste and see how it plays out.

I'm about half way through my 145 gr stick of home-made soap, so if I use Arko through August for a little change-up, the sandalwood will last me through the rest of the year. Can't complain, the soap is fine, the scent is great (meaning almost nothing to smell....) but I'm sort of hankering for a change.

Maybe that soap I make with lots of castor oil, or one of the scent experiments. Or not.

I'd love to make some more soap, but what I have will last me at least a decade, no point in making it to eventually have to toss it.

Close to finishing the tube of Macca Root SC. Need two hands to bend and squeeze the last bit out. That’s not one of those flimsy tubes, tough plastic. I thought today would be the last day, but pretty sure there’s another shave in there ... but it will have to wait until I return from 12 days in Italia.

So, I consider this the end of my 3017 journey. Other than the tiny puck of VDH Deluxe I bought for the trip, I need to start over. This has been an eight year effort.

I don’t want to be overstocked again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close to finishing the tube of Macca Root SC. Need two hands to bend and squeeze the last bit out. That’s not one of those flimsy tubes, tough plastic. I thought today would be the last day, but pretty sure there’s another shave in there ... but it will have to wait until I return from 12 days in Italia.

So, I consider this the end of my 3017 journey. Other than the tiny puck of VDH Deluxe I bought for the trip, I need to start over. This has been an eight year effort.

Well done sir! Quite an accomplishment, I think I'm about 2 years away from this goal.

Congratulations. Well done. :a14:

Can you share anything you learned during you journey? What's your favorite soap/cream? Will you only be buying one at a time from now on?

Congratulations!!!!

Top Bottom