What's new

My Guess... 3017

The recent discussion here of English soaps and creams has bled over to my world. A stick of DrH Arlington soap appeared in my mailbox yesterday with a note from an anonymous donor that I need to expand my shave stick horizon. Anonymous shemomynous....I know who you are and dont think this good deed will go unpunished. An eye for an eye...a soap for a soap I say! Your reward for this treachery is boxed up and going out in today's mail. I'll simply say you are about to receive one of the finest shaving soaps created by mankind. Now wallow in my vengeance!

All kidding aside...thank you Mr Anonymous. Its been a few years since I last used an Arlington scented product, that was the shave cream and it was excellent. After opening the box I immediately removed the cap of the stick and took a deep whiff. Ahhhhh. Lightly scented to be sure, but Arlington just gets to me. I love it. Perhaps being lightly scented is part of the charm of Arlington? If it were a strong scent it might get tiresome? Regardless, Arlington and Oxford and Cambridge remain my two favorite scents in all of shavedom.

The Mystic Water stick is going well. Excellent slickness and lathers and I'm enjoying it a great deal. Cheers!

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet cream in a tube is now done. 150ml/5oz is quite a thing to see through to the end. I started back in Feb. I think. I forget, but it's been quite a while. Lovely classic British fragrance. I never tired of it. Like a stronger, deeper Arlington. In fact, I paired it with Arlington AS quite a bit. I tended toward the matching AS balm, AdP inspired aftershaves (XXX, Stirling Picenza) and Arlington splash as the finishing touches every morning. Pleasant way to work my way into summer. Still not a huge fan of creams, and still convinced the better tallow pucks trump the creams regardless of how high quality the creams may be. But, I can't knock the tube of BB. It provided excellent shaves. I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't a Creighton's cream. It's right there with TOBS, DRH etc. Maybe a bit of extra something post shave - maybe? But very typical Creighton's type performance.

It's the year of creams so up next, and just in time for the dog days of summer, is a brand new tube of Palmolive menthol. Hopefully this isn't quite the same commitment in time. What to pair as an AS? I've pulled out Snake Bite and Cryogen. I'll see what else comes to mind as I start the first week or two with the cream.

Palmolive with menthol is great, and everything I wish Proraso Green would be.

I finished my bowl of Arlington this morning. Fine soap that does very well with synthetic brushes. On to a stick of some sort while traveling next week, then back to TOBS Jermyn Street.

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet cream in a tube is now done. 150ml/5oz is quite a thing to see through to the end. I started back in Feb. I think. I forget, but it's been quite a while. Lovely classic British fragrance. I never tired of it. Like a stronger, deeper Arlington. In fact, I paired it with Arlington AS quite a bit. I tended toward the matching AS balm, AdP inspired aftershaves (XXX, Stirling Picenza) and Arlington splash as the finishing touches every morning. Pleasant way to work my way into summer. Still not a huge fan of creams, and still convinced the better tallow pucks trump the creams regardless of how high quality the creams may be. But, I can't knock the tube of BB. It provided excellent shaves. I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't a Creighton's cream. It's right there with TOBS, DRH etc. Maybe a bit of extra something post shave - maybe? But very typical Creighton's type performance.

It's the year of creams so up next, and just in time for the dog days of summer, is a brand new tube of Palmolive menthol. Hopefully this isn't quite the same commitment in time. What to pair as an AS? I've pulled out Snake Bite and Cryogen. I'll see what else comes to mind as I start the first week or two with the cream.

Good work. I've been working through a jar of BB cream and it hasn't been that good. For me, the performance is slightly below TOBS. I have been using my DEs more often because of the lack of slickness/protection. The scent is where is makes up the difference.

Good work. I've been working through a jar of BB cream and it hasn't been that good. For me, the performance is slightly below TOBS. I have been using my DEs more often because of the lack of slickness/protection. The scent is where is makes up the difference.

Totally agree on the scent. I’ll keep the aftershave balm on hand to enjoy but won’t rebuy the cream. It was fine for me but nothing I need to revisit.

The Palmolive I’ve begun however has been wonderful so far! I’ve got less than a week in so I’m still getting to know it but so far it’s foolproof. Not picky at all about water and really thick lather for a cream. The menthol is lovely since I’m living in an oven right now with heat indexes in triple digits where I am.

The menthol is lovely since I’m living in an oven right now with heat indexes in triple digits where I am.

Wow! And I thought Florida was hot! I do like my menthol soaps due to the heat and can use them almost year round. I even use the occasional Proraso preshave, not so much for it's added shave value, as much as it's added menthol kick.

I'm about to go to Arkansas for a week and trying to decide if I should keep on with the Valobra, or pack the Proraso blue. I have no idea what the water is like. I have 2 shaves on the PB so not too familiar but hear it takes any water with no issue. Or just take the Valobra, soldier on and see how it handles the new conditions. Any suggestions?

Totally agree on the scent. I’ll keep the aftershave balm on hand to enjoy but won’t rebuy the cream. It was fine for me but nothing I need to revisit.

The Palmolive I’ve begun however has been wonderful so far! I’ve got less than a week in so I’m still getting to know it but so far it’s foolproof. Not picky at all about water and really thick lather for a cream. The menthol is lovely since I’m living in an oven right now with heat indexes in triple digits where I am.

Actually this sounds quite nice. We're also in the triple digit heat index here. I generally dont use menthol creams, but I do have a tube of Italian Palmolive Menthol on hand that see's duty for a few shaves during the dog days of Summer. Well, its Summer here. I think I'll take a short break from 3017ing MW and break out the trusty Palmolive menthol for a bit.

I'm curious, does anyone here know if the Italian version of Palmolive cream is different from the non-Italian version? Maybe its all the same, I just happen to have a tube that was printed for the Italian market? I picked it up, dunno, 3-4 years ago maybe.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My last shave (Woohoo!) with Shaving Yeti's, Mamacita on the Rocks. Here is the amount of soap I began this morning with; lather was weak, but enough to lightly cover my face for two passes.

VERDICT: Good enough to shave with in a pinch, but a lower-tier soap.

Moving on to Through the Fire Fine Craft Sue Moore Pink Grapefruit starting tomorrow,
upload_2019-7-21_8-36-4.png

My 3017 adventure thus far:
???????- Oct.14.2012.....Col.Conk Amber (small puck)
Oct.15 - Dec.19.2012.....VDH Deluxe
Dec.20 - Jan.07.2013.....Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (partial tub)..... Wowwee!!!!
Jan.08 - Mar.06.2013.....C&E Sienna cream
Mar.07 - Mar.28.2013.....Mama Bear Aged Spice (mug soap; they're so tiny, they're cute!)
Mar.29 - May.25.2013.....Palmolive Classica Naturale cream
May.26 - Jun.22.2013.....Proraso Green tube (partial tube, old formula)
Jun.23 - Sep.27.2013.....TOBS Sandalwood cream (I love sandalwood products)
Sep.28 - Nov.02.2013.....Mama Bear Northwoods (partial puck)
Nov.03 - Dec.14.2013.....Mama Bear Amber Romance (partial puck)
Dec.15 - Jan.31.2014.....Klar Kabinett (partial, suspended to 3017 D.R.Harris PIF)
Feb.01 - Aug.29.2014.....D.R. Harris Arlington ........ Nope, no typo; 215 shaves from that puck
Aug.30 - Sep.29.2014.....Klar Kabinett (back in use after the Arlington finished)
Sep.30 - Oct.15.2014.....Rose of Bulgaria cream (partial tube)
Oct.16 - Oct.20.2014.....D.R. Harris Almond (partial tube)
Oct.21 - Oct.31.2014.....RazoRock XXX (partial tub)
Nov.01 - Dec.24.2014.....Blue Willy (grated Williams soaked in Aqua Velva)
Dec.25 - Feb.20.2015.....Dr Dittmar
Feb.21 - Mar.31.2015.....12 cream samples from Mr Bingle Secret Santa
Apr.01 - Apr.19.2015.....Mama Bear Lime Ice (partial puck)
Apr.20 - Jun.22.2015.....Captain's Choice Bay Rum (1/2 container)
Jun.23 - Aug.13.2015.....Mama Bear Winter Grapefruit (partial puck)
Aug.14 - Oct.10.2015.....Godrej round
Oct.11 - Nov.20.2015.....Mitchell's Wool Fat (partial puck)
Nov.21 - Jan.05.2016.....Mama Bear Cucumber Mint (partial puck)
Jan.06 - Feb.15.2016.....Mama Bear Dragon's Blood (partial puck)
Feb.16 - Apr.17.2016.....Cella, Crema da Barba all'Olio di Mandorla
Apr.18 - May.22.2016.....Klar Kabinett (partial puck) **** converted to Nougat blend with 5 other soaps
May.23 - Jun.07.2016.....Proraso Sandalwood (partial tube)
Jun.08 - Sep.27.2016.....nougat (partials of Klar Kabinett, Valobra stick, La Toja stick, Mama Bear's Hydrogen, Mama Bear's Hazelnut, and Arko)
Sep.28 - Oct.28.2016.....Samples (Stone Cottage Hesperides, Mama Bear Spicey Lime)
Oct.29 - Nov.10.2016.....WSP Tobacco, travel puck
Nov.11 - Nov.21.2016.....WSP Matterhorn, travel puck
Nov.22 - Jan.10.2017.....Monsavon
Jan.11 - Feb.01.2017.....Godrej round (suspended to participate in 3017 WILLIAMS thread)
Feb.02 - Apr.07.2017.....Vegan Willy (grated Williams soaked in Lilac Vegetal)
Apr.08 - May.14.2017.....Godrej round (continuation)
May.15 - Apr.29.2019.....P.160 Tipo Morbido (650g).... 23.5 months!!
Apr.30 - May.06.2019.... Mystic Water Coconut Sandalwood sample
May.07 - Jul.21.2019......Shaving Yeti Mamacita on the Rocks
Jul.22 - xxx.xx.2019......Through the Fire Fine Craft Sue Moore Pink Grapefruit

Actually this sounds quite nice. We're also in the triple digit heat index here. I generally dont use menthol creams, but I do have a tube of Italian Palmolive Menthol on hand that see's duty for a few shaves during the dog days of Summer. Well, its Summer here. I think I'll take a short break from 3017ing MW and break out the trusty Palmolive menthol for a bit.

I'm curious, does anyone here know if the Italian version of Palmolive cream is different from the non-Italian version? Maybe its all the same, I just happen to have a tube that was printed for the Italian market? I picked it up, dunno, 3-4 years ago maybe.

Don't know the answer to that, but what does the packaging look like? Mine looks like this one: Palmolive Rinfrescante Menthol Shaving Cream in Tube, 100ml | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

My last shave (Woohoo!) with Shaving Yeti's, Mamacita on the Rocks. Here is the amount of soap I began this morning with; lather was weak, but enough to lightly cover my face for two passes.

VERDICT: Good enough to shave with in a pinch, but a lower-tier soap.

Moving on to Through the Fire Fine Craft Sue Moore Pink Grapefruit starting tomorrow,
View attachment 1000819

My 3017 adventure thus far:
???????- Oct.14.2012.....Col.Conk Amber (small puck)
Oct.15 - Dec.19.2012.....VDH Deluxe
Dec.20 - Jan.07.2013.....Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (partial tub)..... Wowwee!!!!
Jan.08 - Mar.06.2013.....C&E Sienna cream
Mar.07 - Mar.28.2013.....Mama Bear Aged Spice (mug soap; they're so tiny, they're cute!)
Mar.29 - May.25.2013.....Palmolive Classica Naturale cream
May.26 - Jun.22.2013.....Proraso Green tube (partial tube, old formula)
Jun.23 - Sep.27.2013.....TOBS Sandalwood cream (I love sandalwood products)
Sep.28 - Nov.02.2013.....Mama Bear Northwoods (partial puck)
Nov.03 - Dec.14.2013.....Mama Bear Amber Romance (partial puck)
Dec.15 - Jan.31.2014.....Klar Kabinett (partial, suspended to 3017 D.R.Harris PIF)
Feb.01 - Aug.29.2014.....D.R. Harris Arlington ........ Nope, no typo; 215 shaves from that puck
Aug.30 - Sep.29.2014.....Klar Kabinett (back in use after the Arlington finished)
Sep.30 - Oct.15.2014.....Rose of Bulgaria cream (partial tube)
Oct.16 - Oct.20.2014.....D.R. Harris Almond (partial tube)
Oct.21 - Oct.31.2014.....RazoRock XXX (partial tub)
Nov.01 - Dec.24.2014.....Blue Willy (grated Williams soaked in Aqua Velva)
Dec.25 - Feb.20.2015.....Dr Dittmar
Feb.21 - Mar.31.2015.....12 cream samples from Mr Bingle Secret Santa
Apr.01 - Apr.19.2015.....Mama Bear Lime Ice (partial puck)
Apr.20 - Jun.22.2015.....Captain's Choice Bay Rum (1/2 container)
Jun.23 - Aug.13.2015.....Mama Bear Winter Grapefruit (partial puck)
Aug.14 - Oct.10.2015.....Godrej round
Oct.11 - Nov.20.2015.....Mitchell's Wool Fat (partial puck)
Nov.21 - Jan.05.2016.....Mama Bear Cucumber Mint (partial puck)
Jan.06 - Feb.15.2016.....Mama Bear Dragon's Blood (partial puck)
Feb.16 - Apr.17.2016.....Cella, Crema da Barba all'Olio di Mandorla
Apr.18 - May.22.2016.....Klar Kabinett (partial puck) **** converted to Nougat blend with 5 other soaps
May.23 - Jun.07.2016.....Proraso Sandalwood (partial tube)
Jun.08 - Sep.27.2016.....nougat (partials of Klar Kabinett, Valobra stick, La Toja stick, Mama Bear's Hydrogen, Mama Bear's Hazelnut, and Arko)
Sep.28 - Oct.28.2016.....Samples (Stone Cottage Hesperides, Mama Bear Spicey Lime)
Oct.29 - Nov.10.2016.....WSP Tobacco, travel puck
Nov.11 - Nov.21.2016.....WSP Matterhorn, travel puck
Nov.22 - Jan.10.2017.....Monsavon
Jan.11 - Feb.01.2017.....Godrej round (suspended to participate in 3017 WILLIAMS thread)
Feb.02 - Apr.07.2017.....Vegan Willy (grated Williams soaked in Lilac Vegetal)
Apr.08 - May.14.2017.....Godrej round (continuation)
May.15 - Apr.29.2019.....P.160 Tipo Morbido (650g).... 23.5 months!!
Apr.30 - May.06.2019.... Mystic Water Coconut Sandalwood sample
May.07 - Jul.21.2019......Shaving Yeti Mamacita on the Rocks
Jul.22 - xxx.xx.2019......Through the Fire Fine Craft Sue Moore Pink Grapefruit

Good job seeing it through to the end! I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the TTFFC

Don't know the answer to that, but what does the packaging look like? Mine looks like this one: Palmolive Rinfrescante Menthol Shaving Cream in Tube, 100ml | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

That’s it, my tube looks the same. Now that I think about it, the previous tube of Palmolive I used...printed in English....didn’t have menthol. Or if it did it was such a small amount I didn’t notice it. The tube I currently have that looks like yours has a pretty fair amount of menthol. Perhaps they offer two versions now. Sure feels nice when the temp and dew point are both 98 degrees. :) .

Someone posted earlier that Palmolive is everything Proraso Green should be. I agree.

I'm currently 3 shaves into a sample puck of Purely Skinful Handmade Essentials shave soap - Fougere Mysterieuse scent (discontinued I think) in the beef tallow formula - they also make deer and bear tallow soaps. It's a generously sized, mildly scented, relatively hard soap which they sell in both tubs and shave sticks. So far I'm finding it a bit more finicky to dial in than most of my other soaps, but quite slick with good cushion and post shave.

WP_20190715_12_19_34_Pro.jpg

I expect it to last close to a month, and will write a full review once it's gone

Wow! And I thought Florida was hot! I do like my menthol soaps due to the heat and can use them almost year round. I even use the occasional Proraso preshave, not so much for it's added shave value, as much as it's added menthol kick.

I'm about to go to Arkansas for a week and trying to decide if I should keep on with the Valobra, or pack the Proraso blue. I have no idea what the water is like. I have 2 shaves on the PB so not too familiar but hear it takes any water with no issue. Or just take the Valobra, soldier on and see how it handles the new conditions. Any suggestions?
Take em both.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Take em both.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Thank's Clayton and believe me that was probably going to happen until I remembered my third option and what I do usually when I travel. Grab the Frankensoap and hope for the best.

I went for an evening shave. The water is soft, the lather and shave were phenomenal and I could distinctly smell three good soaps in the mix. It was like going out of town to visit old friends. It's a way to keep my frankensoap size in check. While taking a moment from my latest 3017 victim.

It also made me wonder... I've read 84% of this thread(working hard to finish) and I know at least a handful of people have a dish going but I can't recall anyone mention using it. How big are they now? Are you still making it? And when will you use it?

Top Bottom