What's new

My Guess... 3017

I did a quick inventory and I found a cream that is starting to dry. It is starting to sink, no doubt from losing water. It just got bumped up to the on deck position.

For those that have creams, do you 3017 them more often to prevent them from going bad?

I'm in the year of 3017'ing my cream stash. I started with samples, now moved on to creams. So yes, I'm prioritizing getting through the creams so they won't dry out.

Fraser's is indeed wonderful cream. I haven't had any on hand in far too long. This thread is supposed to help me get rid of things, but I keep noting shave preps I'd love to have.

Fraser’s and Stephan’s Shave Cream both come in 1 pound tubs, are very inexpensive and fly under the radar here, and both are on my short list of products to get when my stash is lower.

Looking forward to trying them both, although a 16oz tub will last me a year.

More so than Arko? I imagine the scents may figure into your calculation, Jeff.

I'm with Jeff. Palmolive's scent is better, for sure, but its performance for me is much, much better. Less fluff and less tendency to dry out during a shave.

This homemade soap is starting to get used more quickly. Under 60g remaining. Omega boars and a Semogue 2000 helped there.

More so than Arko? I imagine the scents may figure into your calculation, Jeff.
I'm with Jeff. Palmolive's scent is better, for sure, but its performance for me is much, much better. Less fluff and less tendency to dry out during a shave.

Yes, you both nailed it. Arko is on the do not fly list due to scent. Also prefer Palmolive's performance though both are good and fantastic for the money.

Palmolive is just solid, plain and simple. That goes for their incredibly economical and underrated cream as well as the shave stick.

When I was young I spent a summer helping to care for my elderly grandfather. We became close and some years later when he passed away he left me two items, a shoulder patch with the US Army 2nd Division insignia ( an Indian head inside a star) and a straight razor he got when he was serving in France during WW1. He lost his right pinky finger and part of his right ear during the fighting in France tho he never told me the stories behind those wounds. Hell maybe he lost the earlobe shaving with the straight. .

He was and is my personal hero. He was buried in a military cemetery here in the land of frostbite falls decades ago and I paid him a visit on Memorial Day. I decided to take the old straight razor for a spin the past few days so I took a break from 3017ing and paired the straight with MdC. It seemed fitting to use a soap from France.

I honed it well....took my time....and all went well. My grandfather taught me how to use a straight and that razor took me back in time.

Isn’t it strange, something as simple as shaving can be a time machine of sorts. While I was shaving with his straight I could remember him showing me how to hold it with his four fingered hand as if it were yesterday.

Sorry for the random post, but I knew some of you 3017ers would understand a few days away from the grind to shave with some old ghosts.

Cheers gentlemen, back to 3017ing tomorrow.

When I was young I spent a summer helping to care for my elderly grandfather. We became close and some years later when he passed away he left me two items, a shoulder patch with the US Army 2nd Division insignia ( an Indian head inside a star) and a straight razor he got when he was serving in France during WW1. He lost his right pinky finger and part of his right ear during the fighting in France tho he never told me the stories behind those wounds. Hell maybe he lost the earlobe shaving with the straight. .

He was and is my personal hero. He was buried in a military cemetery here in the land of frostbite falls decades ago and I paid him a visit on Memorial Day. I decided to take the old straight razor for a spin the past few days so I took a break from 3017ing and paired the straight with MdC. It seemed fitting to use a soap from France.

I honed it well....took my time....and all went well. My grandfather taught me how to use a straight and that razor took me back in time.

Isn’t it strange, something as simple as shaving can be a time machine of sorts. While I was shaving with his straight I could remember him showing me how to hold it with his four fingered hand as if it were yesterday.

Sorry for the random post, but I knew some of you 3017ers would understand a few days away from the grind to shave with some old ghosts.

beautiful memory to have...

beautiful memory to have...

Thank you.

I asked my mother if she recalled how her father received the wounds. She said the ear was a farming accident....the pinky no one knows. He had five fingers on that hand in a picture of him in his uniform several weeks before boarding the troop ship for France, and a picture of him minus the pinky that was taken a month or so after he returned.

In my imagination he sacrificed the pinky saving his platoon.

Back to Proraso Azur Lime cream today. The end is in sight, need to start thinking about what’s next.

Finished up Salty Surf last night, it is a pretty good soap but will not be replaced. Doing a quick look through the backlog I realized I somehow have 3 Provence Sante Verlaine (knew I had 2 but somewhere along the line I apparently bought another) Good news is this is one of my favorites and the first soap I ever completed.

All ready for use in a VDH mug, perfect size for this soap once the puck absorbs a little water and expands.
proxy.php

Provence Sante ? ?
MW Bay Rum (30%)------5/18/2016-5/28/2016.....11
Tim’s soap Roots----------5/29/2016-8/2/2016.......54
CF Summer Storm--------8/7/2016-8/14/2016.......Failed (smell morphed into turpentine)
Simpson Unscented-------8/15/2016-9/26/2016.....43
Beer Soap Brewing Anise-10/1/2016-11/9/2016.....31
Haslinger Aloe Vera-------10/10/2016-12/4/2016....18
Pre de Provence-----------12/5/2016-4/13/2017......86 (took off Feb for Williams)
Williams Modern-----------2/2/2017-3/3/2017.........30
Synergy Cavendish--------4/14/2017-4/22/17.........Failed (irritation, lacked slickness)
MW Maestrale (50%)-------4/23/2017-5/9/2017.......17
AoS Tallow Lavender-------5/10/2017-6/20/2017......32
Tiki Spice Islands(60%)----6/21/2017-7/15/2017......22
BSBC Spearmint Eucalyptus-7/17/2017-8/27/2017....29
MLSW The Kraken(60%)----8/28/2017-9/25/2017.....28
Cade-------------------------10/1/2017-1/11/2018.......91
Strop Shoppe Bay Rum(30%)--1/12/2018-2/1/2018...17
Williams Beecham----------2/2/2018-3/8/2018..........26
PS Green Tea---------------3/9/2018-5/2/2018...........47
Mikes Lavender-------------5/3/2018-5/31/2018.........26
MW Lily of the valley-------7/1/2018-7/13/2018.........Failed (stunk too bad)
GFT Coconut tube----------4/2015-8/2018................Travel soap finally killed after 3 years
Proraso Blue (80%)--------7/14/2018-DNF................Moved to travel bag
Haslinger Sage-------------8/30/2018-10/3/22018.....34
Williams Modern-----------10/4/2018-10/29/2018......25
AoS Tallow Sandalwood---11/1/2018-1/12/2019........63
Calani Iberian Sun(70%)--1/13/2019-2/5/2019.........20
L&L After The Rain(90%)----2/6/2019-2/27/2019.......Quit early
MW Green Fairy-------------2/28/2019-3/31/2019.......29
CRSW Citrus----------------4/1/2019-5/7/2019...........29
Tiki bar Salty Surf----------5/8/2019-6/2/2019...........23 Combo of Salty Air and Surfs up

Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks for sharing this.

Thank you Bob. MdC has been set aside for a bit but it’s going to be my occasional cheat soap this year. With all of the excellent options available MdC has slipped a notch on many shavers lists, but, for me it’s still an excellent performer. In 100 years when my jar of Agrume is finally finished it will be replaced. It’s one of those soaps I just like to have on hand.

Proraso Azur Lime is getting near the end. I’ve narrowed its replacement to two options. Marlowe brushless cream which was gifted to me. Or an unmolested Palmolive stick that has been rattling in a drawer for several years.

I know Palmolive will be good, so I might try the Marlowe cream just to see how it is. I don’t recall seeing any reviews here about Marlowe.

Thanks for sharing. I have razors from both of my grandfathers including a straight and a strop. They're some of my prized possessions. Funny how the little things bring back such a flood of memories and feelings. When I pull out that one super speed I'm immediately taken back to being 10 years old and "shaving" (no blade in the razor) in front of the mirror with my grandfather every weekend as a child. I can still smell my grandmother's rose scented soap she loved so much. Time machine... that's a good description.

Thanks for sharing. I have razors from both of my grandfathers including a straight and a strop. They're some of my prized possessions. Funny how the little things bring back such a flood of memories and feelings. When I pull out that one super speed I'm immediately taken back to being 10 years old and "shaving" (no blade in the razor) in front of the mirror with my grandfather every weekend as a child. I can still smell my grandmother's rose scented soap she loved so much. Time machine... that's a good description.

My grandfather shaved with that straight from the 19teens until his hands shook too much in the mid 1980’s. When he was in hospice care very near his death he asked for a straight shave. I worked up a warm lather and shaved him with his old straight....with the blade upside down. His skin was far too thin for the real thing. It made him happy nevertheless.

I only remember him using Williams soap. That last lather I whipped up for him was 1980s vintage Williams...and it was an excellent product by all accounts. I know many here like Williams, but the strong connection I have with it to my past, and recalling what a truly excellent product and value it once was, is why I do t like the current soap they produce. It just annoys me that they cheapened it so.

Some day I should pick up a vintage puck of Williams and 3017 it for old time sake.

Proraso green soap is nearing the end. I've been using this almost exclusively since mid-April. I transferred the soap to an aluminum container, former Mikes, and now has a thin ring of soap around the edges. I have begun to also use my next 3017, Castle Forbes Lime, along with the remaining Proraso green. It has been a good soap, which handled both DE and straight razor shaving. The menthol cooling did wear off about halfway through the soap, which I missed as it has been getting warm in Northern CA.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My grandfather shaved with that straight from the 19teens until his hands shook too much in the mid 1980’s. When he was in hospice care very near his death he asked for a straight shave. I worked up a warm lather and shaved him with his old straight....with the blade upside down. His skin was far too thin for the real thing. It made him happy nevertheless.

I only remember him using Williams soap. That last lather I whipped up for him was 1980s vintage Williams...and it was an excellent product by all accounts. I know many here like Williams, but the strong connection I have with it to my past, and recalling what a truly excellent product and value it once was, is why I do t like the current soap they produce. It just annoys me that they cheapened it so.

Some day I should pick up a vintage puck of Williams and 3017 it for old time sake.

Vintage Williams is outstanding.

One shave to squeeze from the top of the Lavanda tube. The tube key has been removed. Very good shaves from this next-step-up-from-budget Portuguese cream. Lea stick, older than the current formula, on deck.

Top Bottom