What's new

My Guess... 3017

Attachments

• EFDE637E-6848-4BB6-B6DA-3A1DE1B57A49.jpeg
    EFDE637E-6848-4BB6-B6DA-3A1DE1B57A49.jpeg
    799.6 KB · Views: 1
Still rolling along with MdC. I was going to weigh it but, who am I kidding, I have months left to go. Maybe when the bottom of the jar peeks through I'll drop it on a scale. That should be....oh....2 or 3 years. Its all good though. I suspect MdC will be one of those rare products that once the 3017 is completed I'll miss it for a while.

On a side note, I should have a kill to report soon. Its not a 3017 but, I'll take any kill I can get right now. Several years ago I picked up a small bottle of Proraso Green A/S to use as a summer splash. I figured it'd be done come Autumn. I even added some extra menthol to give it an extra cooling kick. Its good stuff, but gosh am I ready to move on to something else. Is it just me or does it seem like aftershaves last forever?

AS kills are extra sweet because they take for-freakin-ever to finish.

I agree with stubborn aftershave. If I use 5ml of a 100ml bottle for ever shave, it should be done in 20 shaves right? But a bottle just goes on and on!

I used to work in a lab. The most you’re putting in your hand is about 1 ml. Most times, you’re using less than that. 5 ml is a metric crap ton of liquid.

AS kills are extra sweet because they take for-freakin-ever to finish.

I used to work in a lab. The most you’re putting in your hand is about 1 ml. Most times, you’re using less than that. 5 ml is a metric crap ton of liquid.

Is "a metric crap ton" < or > "more than you can shake a stick at"?

:lol:

Actually this is kind of interesting because killing an aftershave is a rare occurrence for me and I've often wondered why. When I use a splash I tend to go fairly heavy but I never gave any though to how much I'm using.

So lets say I use .5ml every time I apply an A/S splash. That means I get roughly 200 shaves from a 100ml bottle of Proraso. I generally only use splashes in the warmer months as I live in a colder climate and need to use balms in the winter, plus, even in the summer I dont use a splash every shave. I probably apply a splash maybe 40 times per year. 200 / 40 = 5 years. You know what? Thats pretty close to what I'm getting out of this bottle of Proraso....close to 5 years.

Bob knows his stuff.

I have started my next 3017 project: "Old School" by Seattle Sundries. Anne, the founder and soapmaker of Seattle Sundries, grew up on a cattle ranch in Montana and believes that tallow belongs in shaving soaps. She works out of her store in Seattle and also sells on the web. I'm getting rich and creamy lather aplenty. This journey is going to be a real pleasure.

Disclaimer: some years ago, I helped Anne out as a beta tester for her shaving soaps and this puck was a thank you gift from her.

Is "a metric crap ton" < or > "more than you can shake a stick at"?

:lol:

Actually this is kind of interesting because killing an aftershave is a rare occurrence for me and I've often wondered why. When I use a splash I tend to go fairly heavy but I never gave any though to how much I'm using.

So lets say I use .5ml every time I apply an A/S splash. That means I get roughly 200 shaves from a 100ml bottle of Proraso. I generally only use splashes in the warmer months as I live in a colder climate and need to use balms in the winter, plus, even in the summer I dont use a splash every shave. I probably apply a splash maybe 40 times per year. 200 / 40 = 5 years. You know what? Thats pretty close to what I'm getting out of this bottle of Proraso....close to 5 years.

Bob knows his stuff.

It took me years to finish a 400 ml bottle of Floïd Blue, and that was with a liberal pour and rubbing the extra on the cat. My hand can only hold so much.

Calling the Proraso red done after tonight’s shave. I don’t know, the last 1/3rd of the tube had plenty of air pockets and went quickly.
Started March 12, lasted 5 months with usage every other day.
I enjoy Proraso, and like the green and the blue tubes this was a very good cream. I just prefer the simpler scent of the green and blue versions. If I could get these creams at anywhere close to their MRP, I would be happy to restock one or two tubes when the time comes. Living in India and paying nearly $10 for a tube really doesn’t make sense.

Moving on to a tub of Razorock that’s about 9 years old with very few uses on it. Still smells good. Let’s see how it shaves.

Attachments

• C2094B79-3D0D-4DB5-A1C0-2ECE6D84D136.jpeg
    C2094B79-3D0D-4DB5-A1C0-2ECE6D84D136.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

strop

Now half as wise
I broke thru the bottom on the O&C. 11 weeks and averaged 5or 6 shaves a week, so about 60 shaves, though I didn't keep strict counts. Should finish this month at a minimum.

October 8 will be my 10 year anniversary of 3017! I will start the tub of Frankensoap at that time. Depending on timing I may use the Palmolive cream in my travel kit, or grate some of the Irisch Moos that I have left.

image_67182849.JPG

Calling the Proraso red done after tonight’s shave. I don’t know, the last 1/3rd of the tube had plenty of air pockets and went quickly.
Started March 12, lasted 5 months with usage every other day.
I enjoy Proraso, and like the green and the blue tubes this was a very good cream. I just prefer the simpler scent of the green and blue versions. If I could get these creams at anywhere close to their MRP, I would be happy to restock one or two tubes when the time comes. Living in India and paying nearly $10 for a tube really doesn’t make sense.

Moving on to a tub of Razorock that’s about 9 years old with very few uses on it. Still smells good. Let’s see how it shaves.
I have always envied the diversity of product that you can pick up in the local shops, Ashwin. If you walked into the local drugstore here near me, you’d probably just grow a beard.

I broke thru the bottom on the O&C. 11 weeks and averaged 5or 6 shaves a week, so about 60 shaves, though I didn't keep strict counts. Should finish this month at a minimum.

October 8 will be my 10 year anniversary of 3017! I will start the tub of Frankensoap at that time. Depending on timing I may use the Palmolive cream in my travel kit, or grate some of the Irisch Moos that I have left.

View attachment 1502147
What a product to use as you approach your anniversary, Mark. 88 won the hype, but Oxford & Cambridge won the hearts.

Castle Forbes Lime may not make it through the week. It's been an excellent cream and has done well in helping prevent bloodshed as I returned to DE and SR shaving from my hiatus. I have quite a few samples I may go through to get some quick kills before I partake in Tabactober.

20220810_142656.jpg

View attachment 1502147

Very nice. O&C is one of my favorites.

I’ve owned tubes of this twice and sold them unopened as many times. I may have to buy another. Maybe next spring?
I'm not too fussy about scent (unless I don't like it....in which case I REALLY don't like it), but I find this cream to be delightful, a fresh, almost minty lavender. My memory may be tricking me, but I don't think it's too far off Speick cream in scent. It also has lanolin, so, if that's your thing, Lavanda is pretty close to Musgo Real in performance which is high praise in my house.

I'm not too fussy about scent (unless I don't like it....in which case I REALLY don't like it), but I find this cream to be delightful, a fresh, almost minty lavender. My memory may be tricking me, but I don't think it's too far off Speick cream in scent. It also has lanolin, so, if that's your thing, Lavanda is pretty close to Musgo Real in performance which is high praise in my house.

I am a big lanolin fan. MWF plus Musgo Real are two favorites.

Top Bottom