What's new

My Guess... 3017

Isn’t the Trafalgar the synth version of the Chubby?
Nope but similar size.

There is a Chubby 3 available from Simpsons direct with the Trafalgar Sovereign fibres. Expensive for what it is IMO.

Y’all are talking about using MWF for the winter months. Why’s that? What makes it a winter soap?
It has lanolin which is great for skin treatment. Lanolin, aka wool fat, is a wax byproduct from processing wool. It's been used for preventing and healing chaped skin. There are other soap out there that use lanolin and they usually leave you with a pretty good post shave feel.

Isn’t the Trafalgar the synth version of the Chubby?

Very different handle style.

It has lanolin which is great for skin treatment. Lanolin, aka wool fat, is a wax byproduct from processing wool. It's been used for preventing and healing chaped skin. There are other soap out there that use lanolin and they usually leave you with a pretty good post shave feel.
Yep, this. Our winters are very dry, so lanolin in soaps/creams helps a lot. The Musgo tube I finished has it too as does Stirling soaps, Lavanda cream etc. I use it at other times of the year too. Also, a big fan of Maol a/s which has it too.

I'm calling it. The sliver is very thin. It finally broke loose from the bowl and the soap is a chore to load. I smashed the remaining GFT Violet into my Cella. I'll be using Cella (brick) paired with a soap/cream TBD. My back up tub of Cella should arrive today. :thumbup:

20211102_154720.jpg

A vote for The Fat here.

I would certainly hit that Cella first as it is the one you will, most likely, lose to spoilage (can you spell rancid?). Then go for the creams, and last hard soaps. Nice selection there, by the way.

That is an inspiring kill streak of soaps!

If colder months are coming then definitely go for the Cella Red or Proraso Wood and Spice cream.

Mitchell's would be a treat to use especially after a break from shaving.

So, now we all know why I couldn't stick to 3017 a soap - I couldn't even give a singular answer to someone else's question.
All good suggestions.
I let you all know my decision in three weeks or so.

My first kill in a while. I use Thayer‘s Rose WH every day and a large bottle lasts me almost exactly a year.

Cucumber or Unscented Thayer’s next? Tough one!

View attachment 1357713
I would suggest the Thayer's cucumber. I finished a bottle of the cucumber and have been missing it. I'm working on a bottle of the regular, but I liked the cucumber scent much better. The cucumber scent is very refreshing. Granted, none of the scents last longer than dry down for me.

I had my final shave from the can of Vintage Colgate Aloe. I had 190 shaves from it all together. I had planned to use the local brushless cream next but will save that for next year. Instead I will use some samples until around Thanksgiving and will then begin a Christmas soap. A dried up old sample of Taylor's of Old Bond Street Avocado will come on duty beginning tomorrow. I don't care for the strong perfumy scent and just want it done and out of my den. I give it about a week.

Greetings friends,

Barrister and Mann Seville went on hiatus at the beginning of November due to my love for the holiday season. I will be using Noble Otter The Night Before in November and Barrister and Mann Dickens in December.

Happy shaves!

There's no sense in putting off the inevitable... I'm in if you'll have me. While I've never "officially" applied for 3017 club membership, I've been enjoying this thread and playing along for quite some time. My goal this year was to finish at least four soaps and/or creams. So far (even after a few minor detours) I've gone through a tub of Cella, a tube of Proraso Sandlewood, and a puck of Fine Platinum. I'm currently working on a stick of Arko which should be done by the end of December. I think I'm ready for my "3017" badge.

How can you join the club? I am going to finish: Proraso White (tub), Figaro (tube) and Scheermonnik Confijter (tub). After that: Palmolive (tube), Proraso Green (tub), 3P soap (brick) en TFS Barber Soap (brick).
I think you just did :cool:

In case my earlier post caused some confusion, I was kidding about "officially" applying for 3017 club membership. To the best of my knowledge, there is no requirement to apply for membership; you just make a statement such as "I'm in" and/or you just start contributing to the thread.

Last edited:
I think you just did :cool:

In case my earlier post caused some confusion, I was kidding about "officially" applying for 3017 club membership. To the best of my knowledge, there is no requirement to apply for membership; you just make a statement such as "I'm in" and/or you just start contributing to the thread.
You get the idea! And sounds like both of you are off to a great start. I'm pretty sure there have been some that soent over a year on one puck so go at the pace you see fit.

In other news MWF is slow going but providing great shaves. Just like everyone else who has ever used it. The tub looks the same but I suspect the soap is taking on water and growing at roughly the rate I'm using it.

Also I've had to travel lately so my wilki stick has been getting some use. I've had issues with using sticks in the past but I think I'm finally getting them down. Basically I found a brush that travels well and has enough scrub to lift the soap from my face and lather it. My Yaqi tuxedo does just that, dries quick and is inexpensive enough to not fret losing.

Top Bottom