What's new

My Guess... 3017

My 3017 of Momma Bears Autumn Afternoon came to a premature end. I was gone for a couple days and SWMBO confiscated what was left of the puck for leg duty. I enjoyed this soap a great deal, but, I'm always happy to PIF any shaving supplies to others in the household as it keeps the raised eyebrow looks to a minimum when a vintage razor is procured at the occasional estate sale.

Onward!! For my next 3017 effort I'm visiting an old friend. Haslinger Sandalwood tallow. This puck dates back about 5 years. Last time I used Haslinger I grated the puck. This time its being used in its original form. Its not my favorite sandalwood scent, but it is quite pleasant. Expectations are high. Cheers!

View attachment 1342643

What a great combo. Enjoy the next few months🙏🏽

I have had too much soap since sometime in 2008. I've sold and bought and traded but maintained an excess throughout that time. It's time to clean it up a bit. I must have read through about 90 percent of this thread over the years and looked with longing on all of these empty tubs and tubes and bowls. Now it's time to do something here besides look. The sequence I have planned is this:

Speick soap
TOBS Cedarwood cream
TOBS Avocado cream
Harris Marlborough soap
vintage Gillette lathering cream
Nivea cream
Valobra cologne hard soap

After that, who knows? All of the above are 90% or better except the Speick, which is down to a thin donut (I grated two sticks) and TOBS Cedarwood, which is roughly 50% full (I think). I'm hoping starting with something that will go relatively quickly will give me momentum. Meantime, posting here will help me stay focused, I hope.

PdP took me 7 months, and I am not known for being a frugal soap loader. Getting a quick kill out of the way is a great way to start, and mixing in soft soaps and creams can help decrease the stockpile quickly. Though I have not done this, grating some of the harder soaps can also speed up the time to finish it.

PdP took me 7 months, and I am not known for being a frugal soap loader. Getting a quick kill out of the way is a great way to start, and mixing in soft soaps and creams can help decrease the stockpile quickly. Though I have not done this, grating some of the harder soaps can also speed up the time to finish it.
As someone that has been accused of never touching the soap with my brush once I finish my never ending block of Vitos I will probably revel in smaller quicker soaps but then I will pull out my puck of PdP to give you an idea of the other end of the spectrum.

I know I previously said I'd start with Speick, but I know that donut might take longer to use than my remaining TOBS Cedarwood.
I weighed the tub this morning, and without the lid, it's sitting at 119g total weight. I'd guess about 50 or so grams of that is the tub, but I may be off. Either way, I'll know when the thing is empty and be able to figure out how much I'm using per shave. I bought the tub about 3 years ago, and it has dried out some to about the consistency of Cella. I'm loading directly from the tub with this one.

Today's 10-second load with a silvertip was not quite enough for my preferences. I had two passes' worth, but barely. I shave two passes and like to lather a third time before rinsing and applying aftershave. Tomorrow I'll aim for a longer load time.

... my remaining TOBS Cedarwood.
... I bought the tub about 3 years ago, and it has dried out some to about the consistency of Cella. I'm loading directly from the tub with this one.
Some time ago I bought a partial tub of TOBS Avocado on B/S/T. It had also dried out to the consistency of a soft soap, and I used it that way for a while. Then I stirred some water into it and restored it to the consistency of a cream. According to my shave log, I finished it off 11 years and 2 days ago.

There's a hole in my soap...:)

IMG-3527.jpg

Im finding a 2 day stubble is perfect for shaving sticks. Anything longer than that doesn’t pick up enough soap. The sandpaper effect I suppose. La toja is a real treat. Thick and creamy lather with 2-3 applications to the face. Will easily last the remainder of the year, unless I do something drastic.

Top Bottom