What's new

My Guess... 3017

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
1629942363383.png

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Some day I'll get around to 3017 MdC, but I lack the stamina these days. I'm still shaving on COVID time which means I shave about every 3 days rather than every day as I did prepandemic. I shudder to think how long a jar of MdC would last shaving every 3 days. What...4 or 5 years? :eek2:
Probably somewhere around that long. I shave in fits and starts lately. Think I'm going to try Arko and a straight tonight.

I'm WAY too ADHD to 3017 anything. MAYBE I could do it with a SINGLE stick of Arko.

I put the AoS Lavender puck on hold - there's about 1/3 left. As it was the first soap that my wife gave me I'm not going to toss it, but it's the most finicky of all of the soaps I own.

This morning I started on my Italian Barber Amici - I guess it's unobtainium now, but it's just soap...nice, easy to create lather, I feel that I should be able to add a bit more water to it and I'll play with that going forward. As I'm only shaving once a week, or at most twice a week now this, hopefully, won't take too long to finish as it's a croap.

Thought I'd share a unique soap that I just started...the fabled Irisch Moos.

I got this in a lot of soaps several years ago and had it tucked away. As I've worked through most of my stash and haven't really been buying a lot of shave stuff, I decided to finally use this soap.

I chopped up the shave stick and pressed it into my soap dish, which I haven't really used much for the last couple of years. Especially with working from home, I've dropped to shaving 2-3 times per week rather than daily, and I had been using up soaps or creams in their own containers. But this soap was actually somewhat soft and easy to press together, and it kind of fused together quickly.

The scent is interesting and nice. It has a lot of the powdery notes that Tabac has, but rather than the heavy leather and tobacco perfume smell, it's lighter and a little more flowery or herbaceous if that makes sense. It's not the same as Irish Spring soap; they both smell somewhat fresh, but the Moos is a lot lighter scented and the Spring is really heavy handed and more chemical smelling.

Performance is excellent. It's been a while since I used a good classic tallow soap as I've been using up some creams and Italian style soaps. The lather holds together nicely and is a little thicker and slicker than I've had recently. I do need to dial it in better, but I'm going to enjoy these shaves quite a bit. I expect this soap to last quite a while as I don't shave daily anymore.

proxy.php

I put the AoS Lavender puck on hold - there's about 1/3 left. As it was the first soap that my wife gave me I'm not going to toss it, but it's the most finicky of all of the soaps I own.

This morning I started on my Italian Barber Amici - I guess it's unobtainium now, but it's just soap...nice, easy to create lather, I feel that I should be able to add a bit more water to it and I'll play with that going forward. As I'm only shaving once a week, or at most twice a week now this, hopefully, won't take too long to finish as it's a croap.

I had just started the Amici right before I broke to use up the Irisch Moos. I bought a ton of IB croaps when they went on clearance a while back. It seems pretty good, but I found with most IB stuff you have to build slowly and add a fair amount of water over time, otherwise it can break down.

strop

Now half as wise
Looks like I overestimated how long this QCS would last when I broke thru on Aug 12. Usually at that point most soaps start doing their Energizer Bunny imitation and just keep going and going and going. I estimated it would go thru most of September. Looks like I’ll be lucky to get through the week.
34AA28D5-5A45-4986-9F76-8AE92E01DDE5.jpeg

After looking through my stash, I decided to stay with my unobtanium, pulled out the remainder of the SIM stick, old Tabac, and lemon tAOS.Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Not especially proud of this but I finished off a can of C.O. Bigelow goo in a can today. The shaves were surprisingly decent though. Much better than I ever got from Barbasol or Foamy. Still it's not something I'd want to use long-term. If you paid the full price for the stuff ($10), it would be quite expensive. I only got 20 shaves from the can. Probably could have stretched it a bit longer but doing 3 pass shaves uses it up pretty fast.

Finished off the Valobra shave stick. Lasted a month and a few weeks. Definitely used it up faster smashing it down into a bowl rather than using it as a stick, but the shaves were awesome! If not THE GOAT, definitely a GOAT. It simply doesn't get any better for performance. I'll say it again - the fact that Valobra tallow shave soap isn't made under some moniker of AoS, C&S or something (if not Valobra) is just a travesty.

The soap getting the unenviable call to follow up Valobra is Jeeves of Hudson Street Key Lime. I don't think this is still made. It's a massive 7oz tub! If I'd noticed that I probably would have done this earlier in the summer. As it is, it'll likely last 3-4 months and take me through fall. I guess I can follow the shaves up with Ogalla limes and peppercorn, Captains Choice lime or Soap Commander Lime and Patchouli as a way to make lime a bit more fall.

My quest continues to work through my Razorock Emperor. Ive posted before - its ok, its fine, its alright, I cant complain etc etc. Anyway today I cracked and shaved with my MWF that has been calling me for months. Its partially used and has shrunk by about 30% with months of no use and (what passes for) Summer temperatures here.

Anyway, i had a timely reminder of why 3017 is the best approach - to get to know a soap and get the optimum shave from it. Anyway, i got this wrong with the Fat and added too much water. But as i was in a rush i persevered rather than start again and the thin, sub optimum MWF lather gave a better shave than the dialed in Razorock Emperor. The glide and the post were simply superior. I cant quite bring myself to chuck out the Emperor - seems wasteful which i dont like - but wow the MWF is a cut above.

Top Bottom