What's new

My Guess... 3017

I finished up the ABB Principe Real cream this morning. There was actually enough for maybe another shave, but I squeezed 3 inches of cream into the scuttle and mixed it up. There may have been a slight improvement in the lather, but it wasn’t worth wasting what went down the drain. On to Speick!

iColoniali mango soap is hanigng tough. My infrequent shave schedule means I have a number of months left to enjoy it. This is one of the rare 3017 efforts where I'm in no hurry to see it go. Its been excellent and I'm far from tired of the scent. Performance is only slightly below the top tier for me. Good enough that I want to see it last a good long while.

I was just wondering how that was going. Sounds like a fun project.

I think I learned something from my recent shaves. First off let me say I like my soaps but have never particularly cared for creams, yet here I am trying to make my way through atub of ToBS cream. As usual I started using about the size of a small almond in a bowl add wet brush and suddenly lather appears. But the lather I was getting was kind of light and airy. After a couple shaves like this and remembering this is why I didn't finish this cream I decided to just pwer through the rest. I loaded at least double what I normally would loaded directly on my whiskers and attacked it with a wet brush. The resulting lathers and shaves have been wonderful. The thing to take away from this is load it like you hate it really works. And if you think you're already loading more than enough, and still hate it, try a little more. You might be in for a surprise.

My exact thoughts. I only have one more cream in my stash and I won't be looking for more anytime soon.
your technique with creams pretty well mirrors mine. With all creams, cheap or expensive, I seem to load about double what most claim and the lathers are generally dense and fantastic. If I go with the almond sized amount...of any cream...the lathers are never quite to my liking. I was loading GFT Limes fairly heavy earlier this Spring and the lathers were heavenly.

I like going through a cream every once in a while, but I prefer soaps in general.

At some point I did this too and now I go through creams pretty fast. The shaves are better. I'd still say I prefer soaps.

This. I'm loading the CF Lime like crazy. Getting plenty of lather, but I just don't like working with creams much. They're messy for me. I refuse to bowl lather. I think the only cream I have in the stash after the CF is gone is a tube of speick. I'm good with that. Ready to get back to soaps. Only exception would probably be proraso blue. I'll deal with the mess for that.

8A194259-07B8-4549-8BBF-B29827E34413.jpeg31231ABC-A0AE-4261-AC0D-2D588521CCDE.jpeg
This is actually the second shave out of this tube, as I tried it in Düsseldorf and I was on vacation. I used a little more than I normally would. The scent is more Vicks VapoRub medicinal than the stick. The lather accepts plenty of water and is very slick. Post shave is good, if not great. I don’t enjoy the scent of this cream as much as the ABB, what it is nice.

*but it is nice... Sorry for the typos.

Let me add that I’ll be surprised if I get 2 months from the 75ml of cream. This is a small tube (but I have another!).

Speick shave was actually better today. I didn’t work it enough yesterday. Great sheen. Slick like its soap stick counterpart. Really good post shave today. I’m going to cut the amount of cream in half tomorrow, just for giggles. This little tube is going to disappear soon enough.

I used up the Cyrill R. Salter Wild Rose Sample. I was able to get 15 shaves from it. Next up is a sample of Edwin Jagger Limes and Pomegranate cream. It may last a week at most. It came with a matching after shave lotion which will be used along with it. After that I may attempt to use up one of the worst shaving creams I have ever used-LBK Soap Company Irish Tweed Whipped Shaving Cream.

I have decided to use up my soaps; well actually I am forced to, SWMBO told me I am not allowed to buy more until I use what I have. So since I want to buy more soaps and aftershaves with her approval I want to use up what I have.

1st up is Arko. I have six sticks unopened and 2 pressed into a bowl. I weighed the soap it is 136 grams. So the journey begins.
4C333E37-AC32-4959-9134-AC721286BBD6.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom