What's new

My Guess... 3017

Broke through puck of Haslinger Ringleblumen after 20 shaves. Started on 9/1. I believe it will be finished by the end of the work week, which will put me at about 25 shaves or 2.4 grams per shave.

How long do Haslinger pucks typically last for everyone. I suppose it's not bad considering the low price per puck. The performance has been great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Haslinger is a dense soap, a little goes a long way. First time I used it I think I got 40 shaves from a puck. Now I’m closer to 100.

I haven't done a puck of Haslinger for way too long, but the last few I did were 50-60 shaves. I don't really load to kill anymore so I'd wager I'll be closer to 75 at this point. It doesn't take a whole lot and I only do 1 pass anymore.

You guys know how to make it last. I hadn't been loading any different than normal, but I did notice the puck began to wear down more sometime after shave 10. I have a few more of the tallow pucks in the queue. I will have to experiment with load times. I usually just load up until it looks like I have enough soap for my 2+ passes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

After following this thread for, uh... years, I somewhat fell into the 3017 process on one of the big old tubs of Mama Bear. I have a good ring at the bottom now, and my guess is that within a week I'll move on to the second of my soaps.

I'm trying to decide between a partially milled puck of MWF, a fresh puck of Tabac, or a tube of Old Spice I got shipped from India. That's a small portion of what I have available, but it's what's not up on the shelf. :) I will get around to cataloging my stash. Any day now...

I'm breaking in an Omega 63185, and after spending so long with my boar, I'm liking the backbone and scrubbiness of the pure badger. My housewarming gift to myself was to drop my bowl the first week at my new place and break it, so I've been face lathering exclusively these past few months(after 10 years of bowl lathering).. and I gotta say I like it. Also, makes travel shaving much easier!

Face lathering is where it's at, so to speak. I've never seen the utility of lathering in a bowl, but that's me.

And soap does seem to last forever -- I'm up to 205 shaves on that stick of lemon scented soap I made, and it's gonna last well into October with daily use.

Face lathering is where it's at, so to speak. I've never seen the utility of lathering in a bowl, but that's me.

And soap does seem to last forever -- I'm up to 205 shaves on that stick of lemon scented soap I made, and it's gonna last well into October with daily use.

I’m with you on the face lathering, but I think I may 3017 a soap and bowl lather it the whole way just to prove that I can do it.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I’m with you on the face lathering, but I think I may 3017 a soap and bowl lather it the whole way just to prove that I can do it.
Bob's Guide on how to 3017 a Soap in one Shot
One puck of Williams
One big brush
One bathtub
One hour (ymmv)

upload_2018-9-28_20-1-30.png

I started face lathering when I opened my bag in a hotel and discovered a broken CC lather bowl. I eventually replaced the bowl but it now sits at home to make things tidy on the counter. I definitely agree that it makes traveling easier as there is one less thing I need to pack and keep track of.

Also once I started face lathering the number of passes I used went down from three to two. My first pass is now ATG and I am wondering if I can move to one pass plus a bit of touch up. The other thing face lathering led me to is I really dial in the lather to be "just right" for a great shave and not have made too much lather.

tldr - It works for me... your mileage will vary

Ruckin.

Haven’t checked in for a while. Between house sitting, being unable to move into my house because of renovation problems and having my wife leave me, I fell away from 3017 for a while. Living out of a suitcase. But now I’m in a semi stable environment, I’ll be back to it. Gotta kill off this TOBS sandalwood that I started before the excitement then on to the Fine pucks. This is what I’ll be using to do the damage:
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My efforts to finish up my 3017 of Soap Commander Endurance have been cut short by a trip to the hospital .

proxy.php

I’ve been using a small tub of Castle Forbes in my travel bag. Great Lavender scent, and my eyes have been opened in regards to what many say about the economy of some the pricier software. I find a tiny amount delivers great lather, where a cream like Bigelow took a ton to give me lather I liked. I’ll be shortly and back on the wagon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't think of a better reason. Congragulations.

Today, I used Tabac soap for the first time. I’ve had a stick in my cubby for ages and decided to join in with the Tabactober crew (as well as the OCtober group). Ok so, lather quality and performance were seriously top notch, but the smell... good lord it’s pungent! I dunno if I can 3017 this, but I’ll give it an honest go.

I’m finally coming to the end of the puck of Floris JF. It has been a treat to use. The scent is fantastic and if I wore frags, I’d have ponied up for a bottle. Performance is consistently good, with plenty of lather for 2+ passes with 10-15 seconds of loading. It’s not the best I’ve ever used, but I’m glad I have. 5 months of shaves, generally 5 times a week, so let’s say 110 shaves out of the puck at $35, so we’re looking at 30 cents per shave. Not the most economical, but it’s Floris.

Up next will be a 15-20% used puck of TOBS Jermyn Street. I’ll give it a few weeks of use before I decide if it gets the quick kill or stretched out treatment.

I have 1 shave remaining on the Haslinger sage I started in late August, lasted 34 shaves. Scent was fine, light, maybe a little floral but I think I liked aloe a better, performance is just awesome though. I have intermittent issues on my right cheek (primarily) and have to shave around it sometimes while my face calms down. I had so such issue from start to finish with this soap. I can’t rule out variations in my shaving technique but I am sure the soap helps.

I have a TON of Williams which I have to start doing something about so I am going for a no holds barred speed run to knock one of these off in October. I do have a lot of success with a synthetic brush with this soap but I am going to again rotate in some boar and badger just to see what happens.

Provence Sante ? ?
MW Bay Rum (30%)------5/18/2016-5/28/2016.....11
Tim’s soap Roots----------5/29/2016-8/2/2016.......54
CF Summer Storm--------8/7/2016-8/14/2016.......Failed (smell morphed into turpentine)
Simpson Unscented-------8/15/2016-9/26/2016.....43
Beer Soap Brewing Anise-10/1/2016-11/9/2016.....31
Haslinger Aloe Vera-------10/10/2016-12/4/2016....18
Pre de Provence-----------12/5/2016-4/13/2017......86 (took off Feb for Williams)
Williams Modern-----------2/2/2017-3/3/2017.........30
Synergy Cavendish--------4/14/2017-4/22/17.........Failed (irritation, lacked slickness)
MW Maestrale (50%)-------4/23/2017-5/9/2017.......17
AoS Tallow Lavender--------5/10/2017-6/20/2017......32
Tiki Spice Islands(60%)-----6/21/2017-7/15/2017......22
BSBC Spearmint Eucalyptus-7/17/2017-8/27/2017....29
MLSW The Kraken(60%)----8/28/2017-9/25/2017.....28
Cade-------------------------10/1/2017-1/11/2018.......91
Strop Shoppe Bay Rum(30%)--1/12/2018-2/1/2018...17
Williams Beecham----------2/2/2018-3/8/2018..........26
PS Green Tea---------------3/9/2018-5/2/2018...........47
Mikes Lavender-------------5/3/2018-5/31/2018.........26
MW Lily of the valley-------7/1/2018-7/13/2018.........Failed (stunk too bad)
GFT Coconut tube----------4/2015-8/2018................Travel soap finally killed after 3 years
Proraso Blue (80%)--------7/14/2018-DNF................Moved to travel bag
Haslinger Sage-------------8/30/2018-10/3/22018.....34
Williams Modern-----------10/4/2018-

Hey gang! Thought I'd check in real quick. Still shaving but doing so every other day. Typically at night to save time.

I still use one product most of the time, but haven't been tracking shaves like I used to. I also don't have a huge stash anymore, just a few things. A couple times each year I will order a new soap or cream (typically through Amazon).

This year I got through most of a tub of TOBS lavender and then worked on a full tub of Proraso green soap. The TOBS lathers up great but isn't super slick. The Proraso was just okay all around.

Last week I decided I wanted a pumpkin soap and decided to order a few things from Mike's Natural Soaps. I haven't used his stuff in years and when I did it was just okay to be honest. But this new batch, first impressions are really positive. It's a malleable soap but not as soft as say Cella or Proraso. It looks like Stirling but is firmer than the ones I tried years ago.

I ended up smashing a sample of the pumpkin spice soap into an extra plastic jar that I ordered. The sample was about 35g which is a good size. The scent smells like a sweet dessert, maybe a bit of gingerbread cookies or caramel corn. It's pleasant but I wouldn't want a full puck of it. Loading up with a synthetic brush it didn't seem all that impressive...not a great looking proto lather. But on the face the lather built up extremely well with a good density and very high level of slickness. Almost like a Tabac lather. The shave was great too and the post-shave feel felt a little more moisturized than the soaps I've used recently.

So I'm excited to work through these soaps and see how they hold up over time. I've got samples of the orange/cedar and the rose/patchouli as well as a full tub of barbershop. At this rate, I could see getting a full puck of lime for next summer too (they were out of stock).

873B6BDC-9E48-459A-AF61-2640700A5CD0.jpeg
Hey gang! Thought I'd check in real quick. Still shaving but doing so every other day. Typically at night to save time.

I still use one product most of the time, but haven't been tracking shaves like I used to. I also don't have a huge stash anymore, just a few things. A couple times each year I will order a new soap or cream (typically through Amazon).

This year I got through most of a tub of TOBS lavender and then worked on a full tub of Proraso green soap. The TOBS lathers up great but isn't super slick. The Proraso was just okay all around.

Last week I decided I wanted a pumpkin soap and decided to order a few things from Mike's Natural Soaps. I haven't used his stuff in years and when I did it was just okay to be honest. But this new batch, first impressions are really positive. It's a malleable soap but not as soft as say Cella or Proraso. It looks like Stirling but is firmer than the ones I tried years ago.

I ended up smashing a sample of the pumpkin spice soap into an extra plastic jar that I ordered. The sample was about 35g which is a good size. The scent smells like a sweet dessert, maybe a bit of gingerbread cookies or caramel corn. It's pleasant but I wouldn't want a full puck of it. Loading up with a synthetic brush it didn't seem all that impressive...not a great looking proto lather. But on the face the lather built up extremely well with a good density and very high level of slickness. Almost like a Tabac lather. The shave was great too and the post-shave feel felt a little more moisturized than the soaps I've used recently.

So I'm excited to work through these soaps and see how they hold up over time. I've got samples of the orange/cedar and the rose/patchouli as well as a full tub of barbershop. At this rate, I could see getting a full puck of lime for next summer too (they were out of stock).

So, I am temporarily putting the brakes on my 3017 effort of AoSt lavender. It’s been fantastic and I was really hitting my stride with it, but I received an unexpected gift the other day. A buddy sent me a tub of Mikes Pumpkin Spice. So I decided to give this a quick 3017. I do t shave as often as I use to so this tub will likely last me through the Fall and holidays season.

i Shaved with it the first time today and agree with Jaricks assessment. It doesn’t look pretty on the brush but once it’s faced lathered it becomes dense and protective. It’s been a few years since I used Mikes. I liked it then..I like it now. But....

.....the scent. It smells great, but I have never cared for food scented soaps. I know I am going to be sick of this scent well before the soap is done. Oh well, it’s a gift, it’s seasonal, and Mikes makes a good soap.

I’ll get back to AoS tallow when Mikes is done. Cheers!

Top Bottom