What's new

My Guess... 3017

AoS tallow continues to provide solid lathers. I can still see the printing on the top of the puck, so progress is slow, but performance is great.

Using these great discontinued tallow - based soaps makes me grateful of my stash...and a bit nostalgic.

I have enough soaps vacuum sealed to last me for a number of years, but not so many that it takes up a lot of room or seems silly. I will go through each and every one of them in time.

These triple milled pucks last a long time and knowing that I cannot replace each puck as I use it has changed my loading habits. I’m not loading these soaps like I hate them so I can quickly move onto the next puck. No more average performers, no more stacks of samples to push through. Just one great shave after the other.

So it seems my 3017 journey is still the same, but it’s purpose has changed. I started 3017 some years ago to use up the stash and feel as though I was making progress. During that effort I learned that using the same puck of soap every day has a number of benefits.

Now my 3017 effort has transitioned from one of marking progress to a journey of appreciation.

3017ing is helping me to savor and appreciate each wonderful lather that these classic masterpieces of soapery yields...one shave at a time.

I've never loaded like I hate it, even for substandard products. It's always been "load what I need."
Finally some sanity coming to this thread. I never did get the load it like you hate it bit.

Yesterday’s shave marks the end of a refill puck of Stirling Iced Pineapple. It lasted way longer than it should have since my shave count as been extremely low lately. We’ve renovated and sold one home, bought and renovated another, and are expecting a baby any day now. Kinda of took its toll, but we’re back with it now. The Iced Pineapple is one of my new favorites. Menthol was a new experience for me, and was nice this summer considering how hot it’s been in the northeast. It’s a great scent as well. The performance was good, I had good shaves throughout. As many have noted, there’s not many bad soaps out there. Stirling appeals to me simply for the variety of scent and the price point, as well offering just a simple refill pick I can cram into my soap dish.

From here on out I’ll be working on the jar of Soap Commander I discontinued for a couple weeks until October where I’ll start my Razorocktober choice SMDF.

I hope all is well with you all, enjoy your shaves as always gentlemen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished my tub of Sudsy Soapery Lavender and Peppermint on 8/22. So far I would rank this soap my top performer of the soaps I put through the 3017 treatment. The slightly used tub lasted nearly 2 months, which was a surprise considering how soft the soap is.

I rotated between Proraso Green and a few creams through August. Began a new puck of Haslinger (tallow) Ringelblumen on 9/1. So far this soap has been great. Easy to lather, great slickness and cushion, and a great value. Now I want to try the non-tallow once I finish this puck to compare. This may require a bulk buy of Haslinger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Can of Gillette Foamy finished. Worked well.

Left: Speick stick, lots of stick ends and puck rings that will make a large frankensoap, 30% bottle of KMF, tube of Macca Root and another can of Foamy from under the sink. Getting there...

Not much to report, Haslinger Sage started 8/30 is causing me to have awesome shaves every day :001_smile. I'd guess I'm about 1/3 the way through.

I have a few more weeks left on my chunk of lemon scented home-made shave soap, and when that's done I shall start in on a couple others, want to get them used up before they go rancid on me. Working on a puck of Col. Conk, too, that I want to get used up, so will dip into that once in a while as well.

Sadly, soap lasts me forever, just like razor blades. Gonna be using the same three for a long time!

A week or two are likely left on the Floris JF. Shaves are still great and after almost 5 months with this puck, am not tired of the scent. At all.

strop

Now half as wise
After several years of 3017, I do find myself getting very tired of scents after a while. I wnt back to the Windsor (from Bayolea) on Sept 8, and am getting tired of it again. I have a couple of travel days coming up with the remnants of a Palmolive stick, but will then start in on Tabac on Oct 1. I pulled out this 6 year old Tabac stick, and found it had dried and no longer would stay out of the container to be used like a stick, at least very easily. It is now shredded and waiting for Oct 1.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Just crossed off month#16 of daily shaves with my P.160 Tipo Morbido. As with Bob and his Floris, I have not grown tired of the scent. Although, having a sinus cold over the past week means that I have not enjoyed it as much as I normally do. :tongue_sm

Finally some sanity coming to this thread. I never did get the load it like you hate it bit.

I agree - My policy has always been load it like I want to have a nice lather on pass #3, and not a ton extra.

I experimented with load amounts, and if I was a little light on pass #3, I go back for a little more. That is part of the benefit of the 3017 - I can dial in a soap load for three passes after a bit of trial and error

After several years of 3017, I do find myself getting very tired of scents after a while. I wnt back to the Windsor (from Bayolea) on Sept 8, and am getting tired of it again. I have a couple of travel days coming up with the remnants of a Palmolive stick, but will then start in on Tabac on Oct 1. I pulled out this 6 year old Tabac stick, and found it had dried and no longer would stay out of the container to be used like a stick, at least very easily. It is now shredded and waiting for Oct 1.

I get this as well - sometimes bad. When I break through the bottom, I start to speculate on the number of shaves remaining... then I select my next 3017... I underestimated the # of shaves remaining and try again... stare at the new one waiting a little longer than I thought, maybe sniff it... shave some more with the current 3017 that is *just - not - going - away*… Then I'm angry at it, where I was loving it a short 41 shaves ago... The "on deck soap" looks sooo good...

I finally get to the new soap, and I'm like "This B&M is awesome - this won't happen again!" 44 shaves later, B&M Diamond is my "new soap" enemy, baseball season is over, and I long for the new puck that is on deck...

The perils of 3017!

strop

Now half as wise
Sounds exactly like me for the last year or so! I will probably go to a rotation of a month or so at a time. So far it has taken longer than that to get bored with it. I could never go back to a daily random selection/rotation style though.

Cella not going anywhere any time soon.

So far my 3017 has been quite positive. I like this stuff a lot. My favorite Italian croap that I have tried.

To be fair, when this thread started, the OP had a big backlog of soaps and had never finished a soap before. 3017 has come to mean something much different at this point, and even us old dogs have come around.

To be fair, when this thread started, the OP had a big backlog of soaps and had never finished a soap before. 3017 has come to mean something much different at this point, and even us old dogs have come around.
To be sure this thread has taken on a life of its own, almost certainly far more popular and more of a movement than anyone could have imagined.

Re reading my post I didn't mean it to sound so critical. I meant it as more of a personal opinion and a validation of the people who are using their soaps the way I use mine. Apologies to anyone who took offence.

Re reading my post I didn't mean it to sound so critical. I meant it as more of a personal opinion and a validation of the people who are using their soaps the way I use mine. Apologies to anyone who took offence.

No worries, and no offense taken (certainly by me). When Bobby started killing soaps, there was a method to his madness.

I finished the half tube of Musgo Real Classic Scent cream yesterday that I had started using back on 6/29. I got 36 shaves out of it, and had previously gotten 22 shaves for a total of 58 shaves.

This morning I started working on a half completed tub of Barrister and Mann Cheshire soap. The center of the soap has a tiny spot that is down to the bottom of the container. We'll see how long it lasts. It didn't take long to load it this morning for a two pass shave.

cheshire.jpg

C96EF698-AFFB-439A-9431-FA48F1EF56CC.jpeg
Finally digging into this puck of C&E Nomad. Still has a sharp, green peppery scent. About two months in, I’m getting the best lathers by filling the tin with water or submerging it, showering, then totally shaking out the brush before loading. I face lather and get a really nice lather. I can’t call it creamy or dense, but it’s very slick, and I’m getting very good shaves without bloodshed. I do two full passes and touchups, with the lather left in the brush a little too lean for a third pass. This may be the soap's biggest shortcoming.

Last edited:
My efforts to finish up my 3017 of Soap Commander Endurance have been cut short by a trip to the hospital .

proxy.php

I’ve been using a small tub of Castle Forbes in my travel bag. Great Lavender scent, and my eyes have been opened in regards to what many say about the economy of some the pricier software. I find a tiny amount delivers great lather, where a cream like Bigelow took a ton to give me lather I liked. I’ll be shortly and back on the wagon

Top Bottom