What's new

My Growing Vintage Gillette Collection!

OMG that is the best looking Toggle I've ever seen!!! It's so shiny and beautiful, please can I have it? haha. I personally much prefer the toggle in rhodium or nickel. I'm not really a fan of the gold plated razors, of any kind. So it's really nice to see such an amazing example of a Toggle! Thank you so much for sharing, I am very envious lol.
Did you have it re-plated or buy it as is? Also do you have the case with it?
Thanks!

It was refurbished and replated at Razor Emporium. I do not have the case. In person it looks even better than it does in the pictures. I really couldn't capture it. I agree that there is something about rhodium plating that is just amazing.

Oh, and even though you like it a lot, you cannot have it. Sorry. :lol:

Thanks!

It was refurbished and replated at Razor Emporium. I do not have the case. In person it looks even better than it does in the pictures. I really couldn't capture it. I agree that there is something about rhodium plating that is just amazing.

Oh, and even though you like it a lot, you cannot have it. Sorry. :lol:
No worries!

Nice, they made a wonderful job on it! My Slim was re-plated in rhodium buy Razor Emporium too. I bet it does look even better in person :D. What colour was it originally? I've only ever seen gold plated ones on eBay for sale. If I were to find a gold one could it still get re-plated in rhodium once they strip the gold plating off?

Darn it I was hoping I could acquire it from you :taz:😆 lol. You really have the ultimate Gillette razor, IMO. I kept looking at the photos for hours last night haha.

No worries!

Nice, they made a wonderful job on it! My Slim was re-plated in rhodium buy Razor Emporium too. I bet it does look even better in person :D. What colour was it originally? I've only ever seen gold plated ones on eBay for sale. If I were to find a gold one could it still get re-plated in rhodium once they strip the gold plating off?

Darn it I was hoping I could acquire it from you :taz:😆 lol. You really have the ultimate Gillette razor, IMO. I kept looking at the photos for hours last night haha.
I don't know whether this one was originally gold plated or not, but I suspect it was. It is no problem for the gold to be stripped and for the razor to be replated in rhodium.

If you can find an old, kinda ugly Toggle in faded gold you might be able to get a decent deal; I suppose the uglier it is, the better. Then you can send it off to get it tuned up and then replated in rhodium. None of this would be cheap, but probably still cheaper than finding one of the original nickel-plated toggles in good condition; they didn't make that many in nickel and they are prohibitively expensive.

Good luck. I hope you eventually get your own rhodium-plated toggle.

I don't know whether this one was originally gold plated or not, but I suspect it was. It is no problem for the gold to be stripped and for the razor to be replated in rhodium.

If you can find an old, kinda ugly Toggle in faded gold you might be able to get a decent deal; I suppose the uglier it is, the better. Then you can send it off to get it tuned up and then replated in rhodium. None of this would be cheap, but probably still cheaper than finding one of the original nickel-plated toggles in good condition; they didn't make that many in nickel and they are prohibitively expensive.

Good luck. I hope you eventually get your own rhodium-plated toggle.
Yes the majority of ones seems to be gold plated, in fact I've only ever seen gold plated ones for sale. Probably as you say not many nickel ones were produced. Good to know the gold ones can be stripped and re-done, rhodium is so much nicer looking.

Yes I think I'll end up doing that, I really wanted to get one with the original case too though. I really enjoy having the cases to these vintage Gillettes. I try and buy complete sets as they really appeal to me. It seems nearly impossible to buy just cases alone, I don't think I've seen only cases for sale. To get this Slim case in my post I had to buy a complete set, the razor was awful but I only got it for the case. I haven't seen a Toggle w/case for less than $1000 though.

Thank you I hope so too. In the meantime enjoy your beautiful example! Oh side note I received a new Gillette Heritage set today, not a vintage razor but still nice for the collection.

Top Bottom