What's new

My Grande Journey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
(you know who you are).

I resemble that remark :)

Shine on you crazy diamond.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
Rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
Come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shiiiiiiine!

This,

1280x720_M46Bottle_wRocksGlassOnStaves.jpg

and these

325287-bk_avr_507_s2_receiver.jpg 5527169-7400__50131.1510778688.jpg bps400_frontangle.jpg

with this.

Untitled.jpg

Makes for one hell of an afternoon, too early or not.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A quick update to this mornings shave.

8 hours later and still BBS everywhere except left side jawline and just to the right of the right corner of my chin.

My entire neck, swirls and cheeks feel like they've never had hair growing on them. Nothing wrong with this blade at 19 shaves, but bourbon makes me backspace and correct typos more often haha.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Polsilver shave #20.

Blade flipped.

52 hours since last shave. CC North cream.

ATG first pass buffing like usual and I wondered why it felt a bit tuggy. I guess at 52 hours growth and starting directly ATG thats allowed lol. Still not bad though and the blade did fine.

One ATG buffing pass, one clean up pass and two little touch ups with water only. BBS without issue.

All is well in crazy town lol.

bF0dO.jpg

Shaving every other day, call it 183 shaves per year. I have at least 140 Polsilver blades left. Even using one blade a month I have an 11 1/2 year supply of Polsilver blades alone, not to mention 190 Derby Extra and 190 Feathers and this one blade is already past the one month mark and I'm still shaving first pass ATG. I had thought the sharpness might fall off and I'd need to start a more traditional shave first pass WTG/XTG, but not yet.

I started this blade Nov. 28.

Polsilver shave #1.

I'm now on the 5th week and it shows no signs of slowing down and in fact, has improved. Its still very nearly as sharp as it was fresh and a whole bunch smoother.

The 200 blades cost me CAD$43.16 total. Thats $0.216 per blade. At 20 shaves this blade has cost me $0.010. A full 5 weeks shaves for a penny. People say this type of shaving doesnt save money. Think again.

I dont remember offhand what the total cost of my Grande was, but it was close enough to $50 to call it that. Under CAD$100 for the best DE razor made in my opinion and 200 of one of the best blades made, and you're good for ten years.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Polsilver shave #20.

Blade flipped.

52 hours since last shave. CC North cream.

ATG first pass buffing like usual and I wondered why it felt a bit tuggy. I guess at 52 hours growth and starting directly ATG thats allowed lol. Still not bad though and the blade did fine.

One ATG buffing pass, one clean up pass and two little touch ups with water only. BBS without issue.

All is well in crazy town lol.

View attachment 849774

Shaving every other day, call it 183 shaves per year. I have at least 140 Polsilver blades left. Even using one blade a month I have an 11 1/2 year supply of Polsilver blades alone, not to mention 190 Derby Extra and 190 Feathers and this one blade is already past the one month mark and I'm still shaving first pass ATG. I had thought the sharpness might fall off and I'd need to start a more traditional shave first pass WTG/XTG, but not yet.

I started this blade Nov. 28.

I'm now on the 5th week and it shows no signs of slowing down and in fact, has improved. Its still very nearly as sharp as it was fresh and a whole bunch smoother.

The 200 blades cost me CAD$43.16 total. Thats $0.216 per blade. At 20 shaves this blade has cost me $0.010. A full 5 weeks shaves for a penny. People say this type of shaving doesnt save money. Think again.

I dont remember offhand what the total cost of my Grande was, but it was close enough to $50 to call it that. Under CAD$100 for the best DE razor made in my opinion and 200 of one of the best blades made, and you're good for ten years.

Plus, we've invested in vintage razors which will increase in value over the years.

If we live to be 1000 we might use all the blades, and will be very likely to have to buy more shaving soap, but I don't believe I can wear out my razors or my brushes.

Am I saying I'm all set? Well, not hardly, but my wife would surely disagree.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Here's my new old stock Mk1 Fatip Piccolo and Mk1 Grande from the German vendor (he still has some left). The German vendor is very prompt, and he threw in a Lindor Chocolate Truffle along with two Astra SP blades (no, not in the chocolate :001_unsur). I loaded each to check out the alignment, and both razors are spot on. They sure do have a lot of blade exposure. It's official, I've now bought umpteen Fatips, and not one of them have ever had alignment problems or bad plating. Fatip perfection! :w00t:
rsz_005.jpg
rsz_011 (2).jpg
rsz_020.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Fatips@Raven Koenes. Rave, those are really cool looking razors. Haven't I seen something like that before in your collection. It's beginning to occur to me that you must like a certain type of razor.

Pictures of Mk1 and Mk2 parts side by side for comparison?

Pictures showing the blade exposures of the two caps?

Shave reports (well, I know they're coming). Can't wait.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Here's my new old stock Mk1 Fatip Piccolo and Mk1 Grande from the German vendor (he still has some left). The German vendor is very prompt, and he threw in a Lindor Chocolate Truffle along with two Astra SP blades (no, not in the chocolate :001_unsur). I loaded each to check out the alignment, and both razors are spot on. They sure do have a lot of blade exposure. It's official, I've now bought umpteen Fatips, and not one of them have ever had alignment problems or bad plating. Fatip perfection! :w00t:
View attachment 849924 View attachment 849925 View attachment 849926

44677976.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Lets not the forget the R41 made by Fatip, or is that the one you mean?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Perhaps another email is in order to them. I'd bet someone has a few stashed away somewhere..

I've never seen a Fatip razor that had completely lost its plating. I've seen a few gunmetal finished Fatips with the black coming off, and they look grey under it. Are the Fatips made from white brass?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Perhaps another email is in order to them. I'd bet someone has a few stashed away somewhere..

I've never seen a Fatip razor that had completely lost its plating. I've seen a few gunmetal finished Fatips with the black coming off, and they look grey under it. Are the Fatips made from white brass?
Here's a clearer shot with the 1980's 12 prong on the left.
images.jpg

I believe it's not white brass.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hmmm. So these razors have been around in one form or another for about 30 years, and yet I havent seen a picture of one thats lost its plating.

I have read about several EJ's, Muhles and Merkurs that have lost their plating in places and....dissolved lol. I'll never understand why more people arent buying Fatips.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Rave, you must also have all the Plisson razors. If they've changed to nine teeth you'd better be buying up the 11 teeth models while you can or your collection will be forever incomplete.

Enablers Buy them all for science.jpg

Note: Do not under any circumstances give my name and address to your wife!

Happy collecting,

Jim

Top Bottom