What's new

My Grande Journey

I'll quit screwing around do things right next shave ;).
I feel better eliminating a blade than possibly missing out on a good blade from any I have, and I have a tuck and a half of Treet Platinums. I feel better knowing its not for me and can think of it as future pif fodder or other giveaways.
:laugh: Ain't mistakes (accidental OR intentional) just great learning experiences?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If you do, I'll definitely try my second one. :letterk1:

My miserable failure with the first one was over 20 months ago now. :laugh:

I'm looking forward to it honestly. As much as the Treet was lacking sharpness I still managed a comfortable shave. Not BBS by any stretch but perfectly acceptable for many shavers I'm sure.

Unless the Graham Field is serrated, I'd expect at least as good a shave lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
As my sig line states, Time tells no lies. I'm impatient and want to use it before I start a Gillette Yellow! lol

One foot of heavy snow overnight and still snowing. Ahhhh life in Canada!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Gillette Yellow shave #1.

Almost 51 hours exactly since last shave.

Captain's Choice 45th and...

410928.gif

My usual ATG shave. A fresh blade and they are sharp, but in all honestly not a lot sharper than a Polsilver on shave 20 and not as smooth.

One full buffing pass ATG. One more quick pass, no buffing, along my jawline and my neck. Wipe and check, dropped the angle left side. Paint and swipe and done, BBS. I did have one small drop of blood right side of my mouth first pass. As I said to Rave about this blade;

the only feedback you get might be red lol.

Outside of that one small drop of blood, an issue free shave. I have a really nice BBS finish. My skin is cool, comfortable and really about as good as its ever been.

The biggest surprise for me is how good that Polsilver blade really was at 20 shaves. These Yellows are damn nice blades and I cant fault them, but the Polsilver from its 4th shave on was a better blade and as it is right now, it was an exceptional blade at 20 shaves.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around that...

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Gillette Yellow shave #2.

42 hours since last shave.

Captain's Choice Bay Rummmmmmmmm.

One buffing pass ATG. A weeper right corner of my mouth again. The Polsilver for 20 shaves has made me complacent.

One buffing pass in a different direction over my swirls, a swipe left side jawline and another BBS.

BLADE ANGLE (that's blade to skin angle)

I didn't know where to post this Mike, but as the razor in question is a Fatip OC, I thought it best to post here.

Shallow angle (riding the cap): 22° (yellow to red)
Steep angle (riding the guard): 26° (yellow to blue)
upload_2018-1-10_23-52-20.png

A whole 4° difference from one extreme to the other.

To put this in perspective, bear in mind that your average slant razor (with the handle held perpendicular to the ground) will offer the blade to your face only 3° off the horizontal.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A whole 4 degrees lol. That is surprising. I knew the window was small, but I never would have guessed that small.

When I think shallow I'm suggesting the comb isnt touching my skin. When I think steep, I'm suggesting the cap isnt touching my skin. Thats with my Grande, NEW SC and Regent.

I'm not sure what to make of that picture just yet. I'll need to study on that a while.

Gillette Yellow shave #2.

42 hours since last shave.

Captain's Choice Bay Rummmmmmmmm.

One buffing pass ATG. A weeper right corner of my mouth again. The Polsilver for 20 shaves has made me complacent.

One buffing pass in a different direction over my swirls, a swipe left side jawline and another BBS.

I've gotten to where I love the scent of bay rum. My wife is surprised as I used to not care for "spicier" scents. It has definitely grown on me, and along with the CC sandalwood I think I'll be pretty well set for my scent needs going forward. The Gillette Yellows are super sharp aren't they? Hope it doesn't keep making you pay in blood!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've gotten to where I love the scent of bay rum. My wife is surprised as I used to not care for "spicier" scents. It has definitely grown on me, and along with the CC sandalwood I think I'll be pretty well set for my scent needs going forward. The Gillette Yellows are super sharp aren't they? Hope it doesn't keep making you pay in blood!

Scotts Sandalwood is really nice and I'll be buying a tub soon. I have too!

Gillette Yellow are nice blades, but honestly the nicest blade I've used so far of them all has been that Polsilver at 10 or 12 shaves up to 20. It was truly exceptional.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Scotts Sandalwood is really nice and I'll be buying a tub soon. I have too!

Gillette Yellow are nice blades, but honestly the nicest blade I've used so far of them all has been that Polsilver at 10 or 12 shaves up to 20. It was truly exceptional.
I have a tuck of the old Wizamet Polsilvers made when they were in Poland on order from Razor Blades Club.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Gillette Yellow shave #3.

48 1/2 hours since last shave.

Super lather! Stirlings Black Cherry and Captain's Choice Bay Rum. Thats a nice combo...

First pass WTG/XTG no buffing. It took a surprising amount of stubble off, but every time I do this I ask myself why lol.

Second pass buffing ATG. No issues at all. One more light clean up over my swirls and left side jawline. BBS finish and I have to say, this shave is extremely close. My skin is cool, tight and comfortable.

The blade was a bit more harsh this shave and I found myself hunting different angles, but it shaved me close and it was comfortable enough.

The more I use this blade, the more I want to use a Polsilver after 10 shaves. I'd call this Yellow on its 3rd shave equal in every way to a Polsilver on shave #1.

I have a tuck of the old Wizamet Polsilvers made when they were in Poland on order from Razor Blades Club.

I have a single blade my nephew sent me to try. I cant remember if I used it or not lol. I'll have to check my blade box.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Of those blades I've never used an any razor:

Sharp Star
Shaverboy
Sputnik
Rapira Supersteel
Zorrik
Personna Med Prep
Gillette Sword
Wizamet Super Iridum
Vidyut Super-Max
Croma Diamant - Bottom right corner.

I have tried the Sharp Star, but none of the others.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Gillette Yellow shave #3.

48 1/2 hours since last shave.

Super lather! Stirlings Black Cherry and Captain's Choice Bay Rum. Thats a nice combo...

First pass WTG/XTG no buffing. It took a surprising amount of stubble off, but every time I do this I ask myself why lol.

Second pass buffing ATG. No issues at all. One more light clean up over my swirls and left side jawline. BBS finish and I have to say, this shave is extremely close. My skin is cool, tight and comfortable.

The blade was a bit more harsh this shave and I found myself hunting different angles, but it shaved me close and it was comfortable enough.

The more I use this blade, the more I want to use a Polsilver after 10 shaves. I'd call this Yellow on its 3rd shave equal in every way to a Polsilver on shave #1.

I have a single blade my nephew sent me to try. I cant remember if I used it or not lol. I'll have to check my blade box.
Cool, one of us should review it once. I'm very curious about any differences.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Gillette Yellow shave #4.

50 1/2 hours since last shave.

Stirling Strawberry Bubbly.

I thought, well honestly, I remembered to count my strokes today and even I'm surprised.

First pass ATG, cheeks S-N. 40 strokes starting at my jawline just below my ear buffing up my cheeks and across my face to the corner of my mouth and sides of my chin. Same for my left side.

Once I finished both cheeks I went back to my right side and buffed from the base of my ear to the corner of my mouth and down my neck gradually changing to a SE-NW direction staying ATG until directly below my chin and then straight S-N. Then I stroke upwards on the face of my chin and over to the side of my mouth and along my upper lip to the center S-N.

The entire first pass worked out to 120 strokes per side of my face and neck on this shave with this blade. Thats 40 strokes more than with my NEW SC when I counted using it! Buffing with strokes as long as 4"s I'd guess on my neck to as short as maybe a 1/2" on the face of my chin and upper lip.

Wipe and check, nearly there. Paint my neck and jawline again and using single strokes in a NE-SW right side, NW-SE left side direction came to 15 overlapping strokes per side over my swirls. My left side jawline got another 10 strokes buffing lightly with just residual slickness of the lather and whatever water the razor held from a quick rinse for the BBS finish.

The blade is noticeably smoother on this shave than the last and hasnt given up any sharpness. I will admit I believe I'm doing more work with the number of strokes, but the comfort is definitely worth it. My skin looks and feels like its never had a razor on it.

Fatip razors are aggressive? Really?

They can be used aggressively, but in reality are cuddly little kittens when used properly. That shave likely took me twice as long as usual because I buff so quickly I cant count that fast so I had to shave slower lol. Guessing, I'd say 8-10 minutes from the time my brush touched my skin to toweling off.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not a huge Fatip fanboy, but I agree entirely. I have four Fatip razors if you count the Schöne and the Plisson. They're not aggressive.

Fatip Smooth as Silk.jpg

In fact, I have zero idea how anyone ever got the idea Fatip razors were aggressive. Maybe the older, and now outdated for everyone except the World Class Fatip Fanboy, caps were aggressive. I do not know.

When you and I say "not aggressive" we're not saying "not efficient." We're saying the razors deliver a smooth feeling shave, and they don't have a tendency to bite too much, or tear up your skin, or cause irritation. Obviously, these are razor blade holders and must be used correctly, but I do not experience any of my Fatip razors as hard to shave with or aggressive.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom