What's new

My Grande Journey

I'll be using my first Fatip Piccolo SE soon. I'm looking forward to it with all the rave reviews I've read here on B&B. It came with GSBs and the blades seem to line up just fine when testing that out.

Is there a way to also get a black nickel Grande handle?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The original Gunmetal finish has been known to come off during a slight breeze.

The black like the Piccolo SE, as far as I know, is only available on the Piccolo SE.

Ah, the Black Grande is gunmetal. Thanks for correcting me. :001_smile I doubt it'll be the last time.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Ah, the Black Grande is gunmetal. Thanks for correcting me. :001_smile I doubt it'll be the last time.
I have a gunmetal Roedter 99 Grande ( basically a destroyed Fatip). The color is pretty close to the Piccolo SE. I think the handle would hold up. It would be the cap where the finish would wear. I still have to shave with my Roedter 99 yet. I'm waiting on the worst blade to match with it. I may have a Voskhod laying around. They suck sufficiently.

I have a gunmetal Roedter 99 Grande ( basically a destroyed Fatip). The color is pretty close to the Piccolo SE. I think the handle would hold up. It would be the cap where the finish would wear. I still have to shave with my Roedter 99 yet. I'm waiting on the worst blade to match with it. I may have a Voskhod laying around. They suck sufficiently.

That's why it's best to go gold! My Gentile looks good as new so far and I can't see into the future but my hopes are high. And even if it does go a bit, a brass and gold patina still looks pretty cool.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My gunmetal Roedter 99 Grande is waiting for me to bank enough pints of blood - just in case. ;)

I'll happily send that 30 tucks of voskhods Rave! That would leave me with 70 more to get rid of. I bought a 100 pack for a song stupidly, and I can't get any of them to work well for me. I've had a handful of blades from them work decently. I've binned 3-4x the number that worked after a half pass or a couple strokes. $5 for 100 blades isn't always a good deal...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'll happily send that 30 tucks of voskhods Rave! That would leave me with 70 more to get rid of. I bought a 100 pack for a song stupidly, and I can't get any of them to work well for me. I've had a handful of blades from them work decently. I've binned 3-4x the number that worked after a half pass or a couple strokes. $5 for 100 blades isn't always a good deal...

I remember reading somewhere on the net Joel, that many Russian DE users really like Voskhod blades, but, before they use them, they slice up a sheet of paper with the blade. That apparently removes the top layer of coating and then they go on to get many very nice, very smooth shaves from them.

Might be worth a try!

I found the first shave with them as smooth as Gillette Black, very smooth. Then on the 2nd shave they became a bit harsh and almost unbearably harsh the 3rd shave. On the 4th shave they smoothed right out again.

I remember reading somewhere on the net Joel, that many Russian DE users really like Voskhod blades, but, before they use them, they slice up a sheet of paper with the blade. That apparently removes the top layer of coating and then they go on to get many very nice, very smooth shaves from them.

Might be worth a try!

I found the first shave with them as smooth as Gillette Black, very smooth. Then on the 2nd shave they became a bit harsh and almost unbearably harsh the 3rd shave. On the 4th shave they smoothed right out again.
Interesting thought. I meant 30 blades not tucks lol. I only have 100 blades give or take.

I used to really like them in my Parker Variant and so when I got one again, I bought more. What I didn't anticipate was a change in the blades. When you examine the edges closely from this pack of 20 tucks, one edge doesn't have the correct bevel. I don't know which one is correct, but one side the bevel is about 1.5-2 mm wide. On the same face of the blade but the opposite blade edge, the bevel is at most 1mm, more like a half mm. Flip the blade and the two edges demonstrate the same thing, but on the opposite side. So on one side the bevel is wide, but the same blade edge has a narrow bevel on the other side of the blade. I hope that makes sense.

What that does in making the blade sharp or dull, I don't know. What I do know, is that they are horrendously inconsistent. I can never tell which side is the good side. Maybe both are off and both blade edges suck. All I get is tug, tug, tug with very little cutting occurring. I've randomly checked blades from multiple tucks on multiple locations in the flat. Not one has had a normal blade as of yet. I don't know what happened or when this batch went out, but I think it's going to make a lot of shims (that I don't use any longer lol.

Thanks for the insight again Mike. Maybe I'll get a good shave from them eventually lol.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Interesting thought. I meant 30 blades not tucks lol. I only have 100 blades give or take.

I used to really like them in my Parker Variant and so when I got one again, I bought more. What I didn't anticipate was a change in the blades. When you examine the edges closely from this pack of 20 tucks, one edge doesn't have the correct bevel. I don't know which one is correct, but one side the bevel is about 1.5-2 mm wide. On the same face of the blade but the opposite blade edge, the bevel is at most 1mm, more like a half mm. Flip the blade and the two edges demonstrate the same thing, but on the opposite side. So on one side the bevel is wide, but the same blade edge has a narrow bevel on the other side of the blade. I hope that makes sense.

What that does in making the blade sharp or dull, I don't know. What I do know, is that they are horrendously inconsistent. I can never tell which side is the good side. Maybe both are off and both blade edges suck. All I get is tug, tug, tug with very little cutting occurring. I've randomly checked blades from multiple tucks on multiple locations in the flat. Not one has had a normal blade as of yet. I don't know what happened or when this batch went out, but I think it's going to make a lot of shims (that I don't use any longer lol.

Thanks for the insight again Mike. Maybe I'll get a good shave from them eventually lol.

Sounds like you found the two bit axe of the shaving world, Joel :D

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
1590249732642.jpeg

Voskhod without PTFE coating

Considering what you said about the edge, I'd have my doubts lol. I'd throw them away if they're like that.
I probably will end up doing so. I'll keep checking out random blades in the event I find one that is normal... Luckily they were only $7 for 100 blades. Maybe I know why now?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I probably will end up doing so. I'll keep checking out random blades in the event I find one that is normal... Luckily they were only $7 for 100 blades. Maybe I know why now?

Life is too short to settle for less than you enjoy. Derby Extra are (were?) only $9USD/100. :tongue_sm

New Short Comb-Prismatic (Rocnel Bohin handle)/Kai (2). I'm just giddy how well this performs.

Because the Prismatic cap supports the blade close to its edge only at the ends I used one shim to increase rigidity. Probably not necessary in most situations but as aggressive shavers go this configuration can hardly be beat. Fortunately I have multiple Short comb plates so this can remain at the ready.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom