What's new

My Grande Journey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I don't seem very interested in boxing anymore but I used to be.

At one time I was a boxing insider of sorts. I hung with a guy who was more of an insider than me. He'd invite me over to watch a fight on pay tv (he always got them free). Half the time there'd be some professional fighter there watching with us.

I met many of the fighters, trainers, managers, and promoters.

My workout at that time was boxing. I'd joined an adult boxing class at the local PAL gym. We did everything the boxers did other than be hit. Well, actually, we did get hit but only with body blows and only when wearing armor so the blows didn't really hurt. I did that for years and years.

The gym hosted the American 1996 Olympic team when they were training for Altlanta. They worked out in the gym. I worked out alongside them. So, I got to know all of them a little bit.

Floyd Mayweather is the fastest human I've ever seen. He was in another world with everything he did.

Most of the professional boxers I've been around are very nice guys outside of the ring, but some are not.

It was a very interesting time in my life.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I dont have any interest in boxing anymore either. Its sad what MMA has done to the sport of boxing.

That sounds like quite the experience, Jim.

I haven't seen that - I'll check it out, thanks. Love De La Hoya too.

I sometimes won't watch a fight if Michael Buffer doesn't do the introductions lol!

I soaked my brush just half way up for tonights shave and face lathered as usual. I had 3 days worth of growth (the most I've had in a few months now) and had a great shave. There is something curious about my brush. When I soak it I have to squeeze the submerged bristles to expel the excess air; otherwise, it doesn't want to absorb much water at all. I've tried just dropping it in the sink or a mug, and after a shake or gentle squeeze it's pretty much bone dry and the odd bristle tends to break off if when I'm lathering.

Wes

My workout at that time was boxing. I'd joined an adult boxing class at the local PAL gym. We did everything the boxers did other than be hit. Well, actually, we did get hit but only with body blows and only when wearing armor so the blows didn't really hurt. I did that for years and years.

I joined a boxing club when I was 19. It really makes you appreciate the fitness levels of boxers. We did a heavy bag drill, sort of like a round robin with six or seven in a line - 1 minute punching up and down the bag, then back to the line until your turn came around again. By the end of it could hardly lift my hands but there was this 13 year old kid there and his arms were like pistons till the very end - he looked like he could go on and on! I really wish I'd have stuck with it but it requires a huge commitment to do it properly. Now, at my age I'm happy running and cycling.

Wes

I've lost interest in boxing as well.
Have very fond memories of staying up very late with my dad to watch Rumble In The Jungle and Thrilla In Manila.

Ali was the best.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I haven't seen that - I'll check it out, thanks. Love De La Hoya too.

I sometimes won't watch a fight if Michael Buffer doesn't do the introductions lol!

I soaked my brush just half way up for tonights shave and face lathered as usual. I had 3 days worth of growth (the most I've had in a few months now) and had a great shave. There is something curious about my brush. When I soak it I have to squeeze the submerged bristles to expel the excess air; otherwise, it doesn't want to absorb much water at all. I've tried just dropping it in the sink or a mug, and after a shake or gentle squeeze it's pretty much bone dry and the odd bristle tends to break off if when I'm lathering.

Wes

Theres another one I have but cant find any information on. Its a 3 part documentary series called The Fight. Its been a long time since I watched it but IIRC it starts in the slave days with bare knuckle heavyweight fights and goes all the way to Mike Tyson.

I can likely send it to you if you want to watch it, just send me a PM.

As boar brushes break in, the tips split, or should split. There are ways of speeding that process. Wet/dry cycles worked for mine and I remember Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers using cold water.

I shaved early tonight.

Brit clone/fat Tech handle/Polsilver(?)

CRS Sandalwood

A fantastic shave. It took 3 full passes and 2 cleanups but dayum, thats a nice little razor.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thats curious, Al. I was under the assumption that all boars would do that, eventually. I would assume mine was from the finest of Italian pigs and went on to possess the finest Prosciutto thats ever been, wait for it, shaved! lol

View attachment 1026607

I just went and soaked mine for 15 mins, which is far longer than normal - still nothing.

Oh, and thanks for making me hungry :D

I can likely send it to you if you want to watch it, just send me a PM.

That's a very kind offer, thanks - I'm in the UK though, if that makes things a bit tricky? You reminded me of this

It's one of the best documentary films I've ever seen, and not just for fight fans either - a real human drama - it is violent but completely gripping.

As boar brushes break in, the tips split, or should split. There are ways of speeding that process. Wet/dry cycles worked for mine and I remember Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers using cold water.

My brush is quite nicely broken in, lots of split ends and gets softer with every shave - I must have used it for 50+ shaves. But I wonder if my technique of sqeezing the submerged bristles whilst soaking is causing too much water to be absorbed at the base of the knot, making the bristles swell, craking the handle. I would have thought that there should be a capillary action when the bristles are placed in water, much like a paint brush but I can't say that's been my experience so far. I think it's most likely that the cracks have been caused by something I've done, rather than a problem with the brush. I think I'll do an experiment: soak the brush by just placing it, half way up, in a ramekin of warm water for 5 minutes, then remove it and squeeze the remaining water into a measuring jug; then do the same after squeezing the submerged brush - I suspect I've been water logging the knot.

Wes

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's a very kind offer, thanks - I'm in the UK though, if that makes things a bit tricky? You reminded me of this

It's one of the best documentary films I've ever seen, and not just for fight fans either - a real human drama - it is violent but completely gripping.

My brush is quite nicely broken in, lots of split ends and gets softer with every shave - I must have used it for 50+ shaves. But I wonder if my technique of sqeezing the submerged bristles whilst soaking is causing too much water to be absorbed at the base of the knot, making the bristles swell, craking the handle. I would have thought that there should be a capillary action when the bristles are placed in water, much like a paint brush but I can't say that's been my experience so far. I think it's most likely that the cracks have been caused by something I've done, rather than a problem with the brush. I think I'll do an experiment: soak the brush by just placing it, half way up, in a ramekin of warm water for 5 minutes, then remove it and squeeze the remaining water into a measuring jug; then do the same after squeezing the submerged brush - I suspect I've been water logging the knot.

Wes

I'll send you a PM and we'll see if theres a problem with being in the UK.

Thanks, I'll check out that video.

Squeezing it while its submerged might cause that but I'd have my doubts. The knot should be set in epoxy and epoxy doesnt absorb water.

Yintal cap on the Fatip Gentile plate enables use of the Tibam handle. Geometry looks the same but feels more effective, could be just weight of the handle or a tiny bit more exposure.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I finally got around to watching this tonight. I don't know how I'd never heard of it before, but you were right, it's a very good film. The footage of 'The Fight of the Century', where you see Miles Davis and Woody Allen in the crowd, what a time! Chuvalo has a great personality, Ron Lyle too. I still haven't watched an Earnie Shavers fight yet, I'll have to do that.

Hearing Henry Cooper talk made me think of this.

It's worth a look if you haven't seen it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I finally got around to watching this tonight. I don't know how I'd never heard of it before, but you were right, it's a very good film. The footage of 'The Fight of the Century', where you see Miles Davis and Woody Allen in the crowd, what a time! Chuvalo has a great personality, Ron Lyle too. I still haven't watched an Earnie Shavers fight yet, I'll have to do that.

Shavers gave Ali all he could handle. Not many could take his power.

Henry Cooper was no slouch either. They fought in 1963 and I think Ali, or Clay as he was known then, was at his best.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
As I mentioned to Rave not long ago I'd load a Polsilver in my Grande for old time sake and give it a go. My last two shaves have been with it while comparing P&B to CRS.

P&B with the fresh blade.

First pass N>S. Second pass S>N. Third pass ATG. One light buffing pass ATG.

Stunning shave, one of my best ever. I've had 8 or 10 shaves with this soap and it's really come to life now. Maybe its been sitting around a while and dried out a bit, that could explain the lackluster first shave I had with it. The post shave feel is among the best I've felt.

Polsilver shave 2. CRS Sandalwood.

First pass N>S. Second pass S>N. Third pass ATG. One light buffing pass ATG.

I felt more blade. CRS doesnt make my skin quite as supple and, as slick as CRS is, P&B is slicker. P&B performs more like Wickham than CRS. Post shave feel is not at the level of P&B.

Next shave I'll flip the blade again and back to P&B. Then for the shave after that I'll use Wickham and see how they compare.

P&B is also my nicest smelling soap. CRS Sandalwood is a close second and it lingers very well. P&B lingers half as long, which is still pretty good.

P&B is a very good soap. @WildWest74 might be right. :tongue_sm

Great documentary

If you havent seen this I have a feeling you'll really enjoy it.

Facing Ali Watch online full movie - Documentary Mania - http://www.documentarymania.com/player.php?title=Facing%20Ali

Thats the full documentary called Facing Ali. They interview most of Ali's opponents, including Earnie Shavers. Its a must see for any boxing fan. George Chuvalo is also in it. He was a Canadian boxer that fought Ali. When I lived in Saskatchewan in the 1980's there was a guy in my apartment building that went 6 rounds with Chuvalo before being knocked out. I've been trying to remember his name for 30 years lol.

I remember my father talking about Marciano and how he use to hit fighters in the shoulder. Apparently he hit them so hard they couldnt lift their arm to hit him back.

I think I remember Larry Merchant calling Manny "The Little Duran" and thats just what hes like. Another favorite fighter of mine was Oscar De La Hoyaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa as Michael Buffer would say haha. He was another fighter that didnt know how to walk backwards lol.

I didnt enjoy watching Floyd Mayweather Jr. much.

Even the Omega acrylic handles crack, hmm. I wonder of thats from soaking it so deeply, but it shouldnt make any difference. I'd fill it with clear epoxy and wet sand it after if I wanted to keep it.

This is my Omega boar. Notice how white the tips are.

View attachment 1026568 View attachment 1026567

It took 6 full months of every other day shaving before they started to turn white. Thats about as deep as a boar brush needs to be soaked. Boar bristles absorb water. I can drop that brush in that much hot water and watch the bristles absorb the water and see the knot relax.

I've changed to a synthetic and never use that brush anymore. My Yaqi Silvertip is put away for the moment too, but it might see some CRS eventually, its a very nice brush. Synthetics are quicker and easier and they dont hog any lather.
I meant this documentary..

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I meant this documentary..

He was quite a character lol.

I cant remember who he fought but I remember him standing flat footed, feet planted, in the center of the ring and throwing punches so fast the guy he was fighting couldnt even do anything but take them or back away.

Thats my fondest memory of Ali fighting. I wish I could remember who he fought so I could watch it again.

He took on all comers and usually fought their fight to beat them at their own game. I dont believe any other fighter has done that and certainly not as effectively. The best example of that was the Rumble in the Jungle. He let George do his thing, and took a severe beating for it, and then he crushed him. "Is that all ya got George? Is that all?"

Ali didnt want to just win the fight, he wanted to break the man stepping to him.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
He was quite a character lol.

I cant remember who he fought but I remember him standing flat footed, feet planted, in the center of the ring and throwing punches so fast the guy he was fighting couldnt even do anything but take them or back away.

Thats my fondest memory of Ali fighting. I wish I could remember who he fought so I could watch it again.

He took on all comers and usually fought their fight to beat them at their own game. I dont believe any other fighter has done that and certainly not as effectively. The best example of that was the Rumble in the Jungle. He let George do his thing, and took a severe beating for it, and then he crushed him. "Is that all ya got George? Is that all?"

Ali didnt want to just win the fight, he wanted to break the man stepping to him.

Link to all his fights. Ali, I mean.

I never used to be a fan of Ali, but that was based on a memory (most definitely inaccurate) of one of his slightly later fights, maybe even the rumble in the jungle. Back then, I knew very little about boxing.

Then I watched the first fight with Sonny Liston. That changed my opinion permanently.

The interview at the end is one of my favourite parts.

"I'm the king of the world. I'm pretty. I'm a baaad man!"

I love all his fights now, as a boxer he had everything.

Top Bottom