What's new

My Grande Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just noticed unscented is on sale from their web site for 8.99 pounds or euro? lowercased f with a line at the bottom £

Those do sound good, several of theirs do in fact. Is a sampler available from anywhere?

Samplers can be had at Connaught or Shavedash.

... and the price is Pounds Sterling. The £ symbol is derived from a L for libra, latin for pound.
(think Libra = weighing scales star sign = pound)

The Euro symbol € is derived from an E

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike the Soap Enabler. :a6:(MtSE)

I like the 1912 well enough, but CRS takes way more water.
This makes it #1 for straight shaving, in my book.

I've been called worse, but not by better! :)

I wouldnt be the least surprised if CRS will take more water than I've given it. I really havent had any need too, but I wanted to see just how far I can push this 1912, and I pushed it pretty damn far. It only got better. I would have broken a Stirling lather on pass 2. Tabac wouldnt have broken, but by my third pass as thin as it was I would have been shaving with grey water. Wickhams was still a lather.

When I use the CRS I just revel in the scent and honestly dont give the performance much thought, its that good. If Wickham had that level of scent profile, my search for a soap company would come to a sudden end. Between both Wickham and CRS I dont believe theres any more one could ask for. They both really are outstanding.

OK, so, yes, soap is my weak spot, and Mike’s opinion is not to be discounted. Hmm, Wickham 1912 also has a Russian Leather and a Shamrock Tweed . . .

giphy (9).gif

Thanks Spike, that means a lot. I may not be expensive, but I shall never be discounted! lol

I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. I may not have tried a lot of soaps, but I have tried some very good ones. From a performance standpoint alone, the only one that can even approach this Wickham is my CRS.

There is a lot number handwritten on the bottom of my tub. I just hope its not a one off batch, but if it is, I have my way out LOL. :001_tongu

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
12-17-18.Injun.Kit.1912.640.JPG

Connaught is the place for great prices (with shipping) and samples.

proxy.php

One of their scents is available only (I think) at some fancy English store and is more expensive. It is possible Wickham sells it directly but I think not, and I'm too lazy to look it up.. Link. All the others are at Connaught I believe.

Magnum is my favorite of the three I've tried, but I like Cashmere and rose, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It wouldn’t hurt me to try a vegetal soap again. I was committed to boar, but was persuaded by a fine synthetic. I am committed to tallow, but, then, well . . .

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
View attachment 936075

Connaught is the place for great prices (with shipping) and samples.

proxy.php

One of their scents is available only (I think) at some fancy English store and is more expensive. It is possible Wickham sells it directly but I think not, and I'm too lazy to look it up.. Link. All the others are at Connaught I believe.

Magnum is my favorite of the three I've tried, but I like Cashmere and rose, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hmmm.

"Top notes: Rose Otto. Heart notes: Sandalwood, Amber and Ginger. Base notes: Buddha Wood and Oud."

"This very gentlemanly fragrance was formulated exclusively for the Gentleman’s Groom Room, and the notes chosen by the store in Dundee are evocative of the city’s rich and rugged history. The well-balanced scent is slightly sweet from the blended Rose Otto and Amber, and ever so slightly spicy, from the combination of Sandalwood, Ginger and Buddha Wood. It's a thoroughly modern scent reminiscent of times past."

That sounds nice.

And ya'll call me the soap enabler? hahahaha.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am committed to tallow, but, then, well . . .

If I didnt know better Spike, I'd swear this is a tallow soap, and heavy on the tallow. That natural soft slickness type of thing you find with tallow soaps, is there. Oodles of it.

Samplers can be had at Connaught or Shavedash.

... and the price is Pounds Sterling. The £ symbol is derived from a L for libra, latin for pound.
(think Libra = weighing scales star sign = pound)

The Euro symbol € is derived from an E
So E for euro, some other symbol for pound if it's an English site :)

got it!

Its like thread hijacking, we all take turns lol.

Oh, I thought the thread was "our grande journey" :)

My guess would be "viaje" is journey. :)

Me being from Texas , it would surprise you:
  1. How long it took me to figure out how to spell Hezues.
  2. Who in the world would name their kid Jesus.
I was in my 30's or 40's.

It only took me about 20 miles to realize that "La Jolly", which I knew to be "La Holly", was in fact "La Hoya" which is where I was being driven too. And I figured it out before they turned off the highway :)

@rabidus and @Tokyospike. If you find your SE2 a bit too much of a good thing, you might try this soap.

I don't mind trying different soaps, but I usually end up super lathering it with Aveeno Therapeutic shave gel. I haven't found a slick enough soap or cream by itself to protect my face from what I put it through every shave. I'm spoiled by super lather...

If I didnt know better Spike, I'd swear this is a tallow soap, and heavy on the tallow. That natural soft slickness type of thing you find with tallow soaps, is there. Oodles of it.

Hmmm.

"Top notes: Rose Otto. Heart notes: Sandalwood, Amber and Ginger. Base notes: Buddha Wood and Oud."

"This very gentlemanly fragrance was formulated exclusively for the Gentleman’s Groom Room, and the notes chosen by the store in Dundee are evocative of the city’s rich and rugged history. The well-balanced scent is slightly sweet from the blended Rose Otto and Amber, and ever so slightly spicy, from the combination of Sandalwood, Ginger and Buddha Wood. It's a thoroughly modern scent reminiscent of times past."

That sounds nice.
And ya'll call me the soap enableer? hahahaha.

Hmm . . .
Back to back posts :)
In Sgt. Schultz's voice: "I see nothing"

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hmmm.

That sounds nice.

And ya'll call me the soap enabler? hahahaha.

This is the sort of scent description that Joel seems to perhaps understand, but it makes zero sense to me. I never know what's coming when I order something like this. It's weird enough to be a Wholly Kaw scent (which is truly scary).

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
  • How long it took me to figure out how to spell Hezues.
  • Who in the world would name their kid Jesus.

Johnny Carson 02.jpg

I thought Jesus was pronounced 'heyzues' lol.

This is the sort of scent description that Joel seems to perhaps understand, but it makes zero sense to me. I never know what's coming when I order something like this. It's weird enough to be a Wholly Kaw scent (which is truly scary).

I dont really know what it add's up to either Jim, but I know, or at least think, that I like the smell of each note. Sandalwood and Amber I like, Ginger is okay. Buddha Wood and Oud, while never smelling them and not even knowing what Buddha Wood is, I love woody scents.

I got this on a search for Buddha Wood: Eremophila mitchellii - Wikipedia

A 'false' Sandalwood and apparently a 'pest' tree/plant in most of Australia.

"Indigenous use

Aboriginal people used false sandalwood to treat rheumatism and the smoke from burning the leaves for general medicinal purposes.

Essential oils

False sandalwood contains essential oils including bicyclic sesquiterpenes known as eremophilanes. The oil is extracted by steam distillation and has been used as a mild analgesic and as an aromatic additive in toiletries. It is active against some pathogenic microorganisms including Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella typhimurium and Candida albicans when undiluted and against Salmonella at a concentration of 1%. The oil is also an effective termicide which has been marketed as Termilone. A product known as "Buddha Wood Essential Oil" is also marketed
."

Maybe, BOSC will find the cure for Staph infections! lol

Indigenous use

Aboriginal people used false sandalwood to treat rheumatism and the smoke from burning the leaves for general medicinal purposes.

You think the Aboriginals would have came up with a better name, something that rings more true perhaps. :)

Top Bottom