What's new

My Goal

My current goal in shaving is to see if I can use just one razor for an entire month. Might seem easy to some but I’ve tried this before and always ended up drifting towards another razor prematurely. Practicing with one and one brand of blade seems worthwhile. Also I’m tempted to sell most my razors but you know how attachments go! Who else here having multiple razors is able to have enough willpower to do this?

My current goal in shaving is to see if I can use just one razor for an entire month. Might seem easy to some but I’ve tried this before and always ended up drifting towards another razor prematurely...Who else here having multiple razors is able to have enough willpower to do this?
Your timing is great, just in time for March!

I've used the same type of razor (Fatboy) since I started shaving, with the exception of The Dark Years (Mach 3 carts, shaving in the shower.) I've only had two Fatboys over the years, and I don't think I'll ever buy another type of razor. That way madness lies: it's a rabbit-hole down which I don't want to fall. I look at my mountain of soaps and creams, and I feel lucky that soaps, etc., are the only area in which I have gone wild. But I am now very contented with the one razor, a vintage butterscotch Floris brush, the same shaving bowl, GSB blades, MdC soaps, 4711 cologne as an AS splash. And my art deco froggy blade bank.

I've used the same type of razor (Fatboy) since I started shaving, with the exception of The Dark Years (Mach 3 carts, shaving in the shower.) I've only had two Fatboys over the years, and I don't think I'll ever buy another type of razor. That way madness lies: it's a rabbit-hole down which I don't want to fall. I look at my mountain of soaps and creams, and I feel lucky that soaps, etc., are the only area in which I have gone wild. But I am now very contented with the one razor, a vintage butterscotch Floris brush, the same shaving bowl, GSB blades, MdC soaps, 4711 cologne as an AS splash. And my art deco froggy blade bank.
That’s great willpower.

Honestly I don't think I'd be able to do it. Almost went a full 30 days shaving with only open comb DE razors, but even with a few options in that regard I still strayed.

Been with my girl for 8 years and wouldn't change a thing. I guess when it comes to razors I am morally impaired. :D

When I started traditional shaving I had no choice. I had a EJ DE89 and a Baxter of California silvertip brush. After a sample pack of blades I settled on Astra SPs. I used that setup for over 4 years (with a variety of soaps) before I discovered OC razors.

One razor for one month? C'mon, make a commitment and just do it. Easy peasy!

(Truth in posting statement: I switched to straights three years ago and now change my razor daily. Though I am considering joining the FFMM this year.)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have gone back to using cartridge razors. I can usually get 21 shaves out of most of them. Some last longer. As for DE razors, I used them for a week and then changed. I have far too many DE razors that I have not even tried yet.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have a desk drawer full of razors but I used the same Gillette 1970s Super Speed nearly every day for over 6 years until December 2020 when I gave it a day off to soak and be cleaned deeply. That day I used a red tip Super Speed, which I've used for each and every shave between that day and today.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have a desk drawer full of razors but I used the same Gillette 1970s Super Speed nearly every day for over 6 years until December 2020 when I gave it a day off to soak and be cleaned deeply. That day I used a red tip Super Speed, which I've used for each and every shave between that day and today.
So your Super Speed is still soaking? 😁

I use the Game Changer 68p only, sometimes I use my grandfather's Gillette Flare tip and while traveling I use a Gillette Tech or a Merkur 42C but the Razorock is my daily driver.

I used my Game Changer OC 84 for continuous 45+ days and now I've shuffling the razor because others are being neglected.

It's easy to use same razor especially if you have limited number of razors, it's the consistency in soap usage I'm struggling in.

Why don't you use same gears for a week, this way the goal of using same razor for a month can be managed easily.

The psyche pressure of going a month with same set-up will also be less.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I used the same DE razor for 20 years, but that was when I only had one. Now I have several, but the Edwin Jagger DE3D14 does the bulk of the shaves, and the others (DE, SE and straight format) only see occasional use. I'll regularly go several months with that same razor. One month is a doddle.

Top Bottom