What's new

My Gillette Tech, I believe it's.

..from circa 1949-early 50's, based on the following.
I received it as a keepsake from my mom (in memory of my dad). I recall him telling me that 'by ten years old, he was already shaving'. I can't verify it, but he was a straight shooter and told it like it was. That said, that would of been 1949. I believe the razor I have was his first razor. As for the razor, it carries the following markings on the back (read from top left, going clockwise. pat Canada, 1932, Made in Canada, the Gillette logo. It has no date code.
Does it seem like I'm on the right track with dating my razor?

I don't know about further verifying the date without patent numbers/codes, but the "Made In Canada" 1932 is supposed to be the most aggressive Tech in terms of blade gap (yet still a mild razor). I've heard many positive things about it.

Congratulations!

At that time I believe the patent term in Canada was 17 years from issue. So that 1932 patent should have expired sometime in 1949. Of course razors have been known to sit on shelves for a while. So a razor purchased in 1949 could have been made in 1948, or even earlier. Probably not much earlier, if WWII interfered with civilian products as much as it did in other countries.

I don't know about further verifying the date without patent numbers/codes, but the "Made In Canada" 1932 is supposed to be the most aggressive Tech in terms of blade gap (yet still a mild razor). I've heard many positive things about it.

Congratulations!

It's the only razor I have, and I do like the results I get from it.

At that time I believe the patent term in Canada was 17 years from issue. So that 1932 patent should have expired sometime in 1949. Of course razors have been known to sit on shelves for a while. So a razor purchased in 1949 could have been made in 1948, or even earlier. Probably not much earlier, if WWII interfered with civilian products as much as it did in other countries.

Not having a date code and/or serial number does make it more difficult to determine vintage, agreed. Does the fact that it has the rectangular slots (not triangular) narrow down the possible year(s)?

Hi.
Your Tech was made any time between 1940 & 1950.
They are a fantastic close, comfortable shave - especially when loaded with a Feather.
proxy.php

It's slightly less aggressive (apparently) & a later version - probably made around 1950 give or take a few years.

On razor archive it states that parallel slots were introduced in 1952. I have a Canadian tech with the 1932 patent marking and the date code X2, which is 1952. Indeed it is a fine razor.

Curious that yours has no date code. Early 1952 perhaps, or some time when the stamp was out of commission?

I notice also that mine doesn't have the words "Trade Mark" in the Gillette logo like Zygalski's does. Arrowhead and feathers instead. What does yours have there?

On razor archive it states that parallel slots were introduced in 1952. I have a Canadian tech with the 1932 patent marking and the date code X2, which is 1952. Indeed it is a fine razor.

Curious that yours has no date code. Early 1952 perhaps, or some time when the stamp was out of commission?

I notice also that mine doesn't have the words "Trade Mark" in the Gillette logo like Zygalski's does. Arrowhead and feathers instead. What does yours have there?

Mine has "Gillette", and the arrow inside of the horizontal diamond. To confirm, there is no date code and/or serial number.
Has me wondering if I have something unique/rare? I have a picture of my razor in the Gallery, (under my user name).

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if your dad was telling the truth. I once knew a 10 year old boy when I was 13 myself that looked like he needed to shave - even at 10 he had a mustache starting to grow! Apparently it happens to a lot of people who have very dark hair and certain genes... the bad part about it, though, is that he got teased a lot because of it...

Top Bottom