What's new

My Gillette Slim arrived! Thank you @airmech for your kindness. Review of first shave.

I posted for suggestions on a butterfly adjustable, and the majority of people suggested a Slim. @airmech bless his heart sent me one as a PIF, and then when I received it, besides some razors, tossed in a Black Beauty. I am floored at the generousity.

My method is to do one side at highest setting, the other at low. I was due for shaving, so nice amount of growth for judging. Proraso Green with a bit of Cremo dolloped in, Lijun silver tip badger brush. As to blades I'd rather my current medium blade, a Wilkinson Sword, but was out, so it was a feather. I find Feathers a bit aggressive, so hoped that didn't interfere with my results.

Right away I knew 9 was a bit aggressive, but not as much as my Parker 26C open comb (which I'd the one I need to replace because it is a bit too aggressive for me. The one was ridiculously mild.

I went up to 2, and then 3 quite quickly. I'd say 3-4 is about the range of my Super Speed Flare, which I consider mild. Fine for chin, but can't stand up to the demands of underarms and legs.

9 was a bit of a burn for my underarm, and still a bit much even for legs, I got a couple of small weekends on my kneecap. Unusual for me, but I think having something less aggressive actually made me a bit careless, or maybe just need adjustment time to the feel/angle of it.

Back on the left side, 4-5 was still struggling a bit. There was an odd moment of clogging in the center, not sure if it is a design thing. I'd been keeping an eye on it, so easy to rinse it out compared to my Parker, that it wasn't a big deal. It didn't happen again. I was pretty much running out of real estate as well.

So, next shave will be fine tuning between 6 - 8. I find it easy to change the adjustment. This is pretty much what I was hoping for. I wanted one razor that I could use on chin, armpits, and legs, making adjustments for each. I'll keep my Flare for chin when I'm not doing bath/shower, and the Slim for everything else. I want to spend some time with the Slim, before moving on to the Black Beauty.

I'm guessing most people could care less, but for a full review. Used Aveeno daily scrub to lightly exfoliate before shaving (I like to get rid of dead skin, oil, dirt before shaving. Afterwards, Soap & Glory's Girligo body mist for my legs. Nice light scent, more like a spritz of oil rather than heavy creams.

Pics...the whole kit. The Slim and Black Beauty. Gangs all here: Flare, Black Beauty. Slim. Parker open comb.

It's a possibility the BB might overtake the Slim as the main razor, due to handle length, well see.

After I'm more familiar with them, I'll start playing around with new blades and soaps. I'll post on that somewhere down the road.

Thank you again to @airmech , if I don't keep both, I'll make sure to PIF.

Attachments

• 20220401_181521.jpg
    20220401_181521.jpg
    940.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220401_181709.jpg
    20220401_181709.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • 20220401_181803.jpg
    20220401_181803.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
I think you will like the handle length on the BB. At least my wife does, though she generally uses a a lady Gillette. Great review, by the way.
I"ve used a Lady Gillette in the past, unfortunately a bit on the mild side. @airmech had seen where I had posted in a thread about preferring med to long handles, and put in the BB too. Once I have another round of shaving to cover the 6-8 range, I'll try and review the BB. Unlike guys, I'm going to need more than a day or two of growth, if I'm going to give it a full workout and cover both chin/underarm/leg, not all grow out at the same rate.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I posted for suggestions on a butterfly adjustable, and the majority of people suggested a Slim. @airmech bless his heart sent me one as a PIF, and then when I received it, besides some razors, tossed in a Black Beauty. I am floored at the generousity.

My method is to do one side at highest setting, the other at low. I was due for shaving, so nice amount of growth for judging. Proraso Green with a bit of Cremo dolloped in, Lijun silver tip badger brush. As to blades I'd rather my current medium blade, a Wilkinson Sword, but was out, so it was a feather. I find Feathers a bit aggressive, so hoped that didn't interfere with my results.

Right away I knew 9 was a bit aggressive, but not as much as my Parker 26C open comb (which I'd the one I need to replace because it is a bit too aggressive for me. The one was ridiculously mild.

I went up to 2, and then 3 quite quickly. I'd say 3-4 is about the range of my Super Speed Flare, which I consider mild. Fine for chin, but can't stand up to the demands of underarms and legs.

9 was a bit of a burn for my underarm, and still a bit much even for legs, I got a couple of small weekends on my kneecap. Unusual for me, but I think having something less aggressive actually made me a bit careless, or maybe just need adjustment time to the feel/angle of it.

Back on the left side, 4-5 was still struggling a bit. There was an odd moment of clogging in the center, not sure if it is a design thing. I'd been keeping an eye on it, so easy to rinse it out compared to my Parker, that it wasn't a big deal. It didn't happen again. I was pretty much running out of real estate as well.

So, next shave will be fine tuning between 6 - 8. I find it easy to change the adjustment. This is pretty much what I was hoping for. I wanted one razor that I could use on chin, armpits, and legs, making adjustments for each. I'll keep my Flare for chin when I'm not doing bath/shower, and the Slim for everything else. I want to spend some time with the Slim, before moving on to the Black Beauty.

I'm guessing most people could care less, but for a full review. Used Aveeno daily scrub to lightly exfoliate before shaving (I like to get rid of dead skin, oil, dirt before shaving. Afterwards, Soap & Glory's Girligo body mist for my legs. Nice light scent, more like a spritz of oil rather than heavy creams.

Pics...the whole kit. The Slim and Black Beauty. Gangs all here: Flare, Black Beauty. Slim. Parker open comb.

It's a possibility the BB might overtake the Slim as the main razor, due to handle length, well see.

After I'm more familiar with them, I'll start playing around with new blades and soaps. I'll post on that somewhere down the road.

Thank you again to @airmech , if I don't keep both, I'll make sure to PIF.

I am so happy for you! I really wanted you to have a great experience with your new razor, and for the most part, you most certainly are. I want you to be happy in this shaving hobby, and looks like you are. Nice seeing that Prorasso there, and I even spotted the Old Spice too.

I too like to wash my face before applying the shaving soap, because I also think its a good idea, helps to clean that skin and soften those hairs and all that. If it uses the butterfly mechanism, just take care of it, keep it oiled, so that way it doesn't freeze up on it.

I also have a post on my new Rex Ambassador razor and on the very first use, I got an amazing shave, 95% BBS, with 5% DFS. I don't remember reading what type of shave you were achieving with your new razor. Would you classify it as a DFS or BBS shave that you are getting?

Thanks for being amazing, and I wish you continued good luck with your new razor, and hope it brings much happiness to your shaving hobby. :)

I am so happy for you! I really wanted you to have a great experience with your new razor, and for the most part, you most certainly are. I want you to be happy in this shaving hobby, and looks like you are. Nice seeing that Prorasso there, and I even spotted the Old Spice too.

I too like to wash my face before applying the shaving soap, because I also think its a good idea, helps to clean that skin and soften those hairs and all that. If it uses the butterfly mechanism, just take care of it, keep it oiled, so that way it doesn't freeze up on it.

I also have a post on my new Rex Ambassador razor and on the very first use, I got an amazing shave, 95% BBS, with 5% DFS. I don't remember reading what type of shave you were achieving with your new razor. Would you classify it as a DFS or BBS shave that you are getting?

Thanks for being amazing, and I wish you continued good luck with your new razor, and hope it brings much happiness to your shaving hobby. :)
*chuckle* what you are seeing there is Soap & Glory's "Girligo" which is a body mist. I use it on my legs after shaving, much less heaving than a hand or body cream. I can see the resemblance to Old Spice though. :)

I don't really do the classification system, as it doesn't translate well for what guys are looking for usually. I never try for a BBS as its too easy to have more problems with ingrown hairs, burn, etc. So I guess I'm usually looking for what I guess I'd call "Good enough to go" or 'Pretty good overall shave', and am very happy with DFS. I'd call this, factoring in its focus is using different adjustment levels, DFS. This is because it was aggressive enough to do legs with a range of BBS in some areas, DFS in others, and well knees are always a hit and miss thing (back of knees can be very inconsistent too). I'm never looking for BBS on underarms, that would be insane. Way too easy to burn. For chin, BBS happens sometimes, but I don't necessarily aim for it or make numerous passes to get it. I will be more likely to have problems such as burn, or bumps, if I do. This shave was I"d say only a sliver away from BBS, very soft, except for under chin/neck areas, which I guess would be DFS since it was better than what I would call pretty good/good enough.... except the little stubborn spots from hell, just under my chin, to each side. Close to DFS, but I put a few extra passes in. I also so very little shaving against the grain, though sometimes with under chin/neck I do. I have that weird thing where some neck hair doesn't grow down, but sideways, which is always a bit of a hassle, but if I go against grain, I often have problems with ingrown hairs in that one area.

I've heard of people oiling there razors, I haven't, but thought maybe I should. My Flare is a butterfly obviously. Now that I have three butteflies, maybe its not a bad idea. What oil do people usually use? I have some WD40 and some 3-in-1 kicking around somewhere in the basement, but that's it.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
*chuckle* what you are seeing there is Soap & Glory's "Girligo" which is a body mist. I use it on my legs after shaving, much less heaving than a hand or body cream. I can see the resemblance to Old Spice though. :)

I don't really do the classification system, as it doesn't translate well for what guys are looking for usually. I never try for a BBS as its too easy to have more problems with ingrown hairs, burn, etc. So I guess I'm usually looking for what I guess I'd call "Good enough to go" or 'Pretty good overall shave', and am very happy with DFS. I'd call this, factoring in its focus is using different adjustment levels, DFS. This is because it was aggressive enough to do legs with a range of BBS in some areas, DFS in others, and well knees are always a hit and miss thing (back of knees can be very inconsistent too). I'm never looking for BBS on underarms, that would be insane. Way too easy to burn. For chin, BBS happens sometimes, but I don't necessarily aim for it or make numerous passes to get it. I will be more likely to have problems such as burn, or bumps, if I do. This shave was I"d say only a sliver away from BBS, very soft, except for under chin/neck areas, which I guess would be DFS since it was better than what I would call pretty good/good enough.... except the little stubborn spots from hell, just under my chin, to each side. Close to DFS, but I put a few extra passes in. I also so very little shaving against the grain, though sometimes with under chin/neck I do. I have that weird thing where some neck hair doesn't grow down, but sideways, which is always a bit of a hassle, but if I go against grain, I often have problems with ingrown hairs in that one area.

I've heard of people oiling there razors, I haven't, but thought maybe I should. My Flare is a butterfly obviously. Now that I have three butteflies, maybe its not a bad idea. What oil do people usually use? I have some WD40 and some 3-in-1 kicking around somewhere in the basement, but that's it.

I would use Wahl clipper oil, this is because it is vegetable based oil, won't hurt your skin if it gets on you, and because its not a harsh petroleum based oil, it won't harm the razor in any way. So ya, you can buy Wahl clipper oil, comes in a black bottle with red tipped cap, only costs like 4 dollars, costs nothing, will last a long time, you only need a few drops, little goes a long way.

Thank you for your extended information that I requested. The only reason I requested it, is because I believe the info is in the details, which really helps other's decide, on which razor to choose from, based on other people's experiences, as they can get an idea on what to expect.

*snip*

I use mineral oil. You know, the laxative at the drug store. And the Gillette's really only need a drop on the TTO mechanism once a year or so IMHO. A toothpick works great for applying it.

I agree a drop or two every couple of years won’t hurt!! I use mineral oil like Big_T said and put a couple of drops at the top where the adjustment rod comes through and a couple of drops in the bottom of the TTO knob. DESRGRL, Those two haven’t been oiled in a couple of years, but they weren’t used,so they are probably good!!!

Tom

I agree a drop or two every couple of years won’t hurt!! I use mineral oil like Big_T said and put a couple of drops at the top where the adjustment rod comes through and a couple of drops in the bottom of the TTO knob. DESRGRL, Those two haven’t been oiled in a couple of years, but they weren’t used,so they are probably good!!!

Tom
They work fine, and I've had my Flare for seven years, didn't oil it. I will start though, its best to keep them in top condition. It also probably didn't matter as much as I use them less often, and on lesser amounts of less thick/stubborn hair.

Tom
They work fine, and I've had my Flare for seven years, didn't oil it. I will start though, its best to keep them in top condition. It also probably didn't matter as much as I use them less often, and on lesser amounts of less thick/stubborn hair.

I am an info junkie, it is an affliction I can't seem to cure, even when it slide into being pendantic and getting me into trouble.
I was curious, and now must share info, 'cause I just run that way...

There are two types of mineral oil that are often used in cometics and as laxatives:
- mineral oil - produced from petroleum oil, alkanes from a mineral source, particularly a distillate of petroleum.Wahls is made of mineral oil.
- castor oil - produced from the castor seed (i'm not quite sure on this point, but it seems that it is alkanes from a mineral source from a plant, that is a distillate - on the other hand I may have just massacred the chemistry on that one).
- The big draw for mineral oils (petroleum based, and I think organic as well) is there is no odor/taste, and that they are food grade safe for skin and moderate consumption (they are used on a lot of kitchen stuff, like wood chopping boards).

3 in 1 oil
- highly refined petroleum oil
- was created in 1894 (who knew? I had no idea it was this old)
- now owned by the WD 40 company
- the '3' stands for 'clean, lubricate, protect'

WD 40
- around since 1953
- originally formulated as a water displacement treatment (hence, WD)
- formula is a trade secret and has never been patented.
- refined from petroleum oil

I'll price compare mineral oil and Wahls, and get what is cheaper.

My need for bombarding people with information is done...at least for now.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I am an info junkie, it is an affliction I can't seem to cure, even when it slide into being pendantic and getting me into trouble.
I was curious, and now must share info, 'cause I just run that way...

There are two types of mineral oil that are often used in cometics and as laxatives:
- mineral oil - produced from petroleum oil, alkanes from a mineral source, particularly a distillate of petroleum.Wahls is made of mineral oil.
- castor oil - produced from the castor seed (i'm not quite sure on this point, but it seems that it is alkanes from a mineral source from a plant, that is a distillate - on the other hand I may have just massacred the chemistry on that one).
- The big draw for mineral oils (petroleum based, and I think organic as well) is there is no odor/taste, and that they are food grade safe for skin and moderate consumption (they are used on a lot of kitchen stuff, like wood chopping boards).

3 in 1 oil
- highly refined petroleum oil
- was created in 1894 (who knew? I had no idea it was this old)
- now owned by the WD 40 company
- the '3' stands for 'clean, lubricate, protect'

WD 40
- around since 1953
- originally formulated as a water displacement treatment (hence, WD)
- formula is a trade secret and has never been patented.
- refined from petroleum oil

I'll price compare mineral oil and Wahls, and get what is cheaper.

My need for bombarding people with information is done...at least for now.
I wouldn't bother with oil, Gillette TTO's were designed to operate without it, and most will just make your razor smell bad.
A good rinsing and scrub with a toothbrush after shaving and an overnight soak in Dawn once a month and your TTO's will last another lifetime.

BTW, I love my Slim set on #4.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks so much for such a detailed review. Since I started wet shaving, I've taken more of an interest in my wife's shaving needs. It's sort of backfired a bit.... I made sure she was changing blades in her Venus... she really cut up the shin on one leg.... pretty scarred up... She said she was using a light touch, but alas, not soft enough. I haven't been able to convince her to try my Lupo DE Aluminum. She loves how much I'm enjoying shaving now, but seems content with her stuff.

Anyway, thx for much for the time you spent clueing us into your experiences.

Top Bottom