What's new

My fourth shaving experience by Qshave (Merkur Futur Clone).

I decided to buy second razor. My choices fell on a Merkur Futur Clone - Qshave. (In order to understand would I feel comfort in a such type of razor (different handle, head [comb], weight).

1. Qshave + Personna blades (Qshave set on 6)

Here is what I "received" after shaving.

This "union" (Qshave + Personna Blades) were unforgiving for my mistakes. :001_rolle

I would like to pay attention. My personal feeling with "Personna blades". Sometimes I felt Personna blade something kind of "stuck" in my hair beneath in the area beneath my nose. I used NEW. When I did stroke beneath my nose area; yes of course Personna cut my hairs but...sometimes (or it seemed to me at least) I felt resistance when I tried to cut my bristles beneath my nose area.

Last time (I did not mention about it in my threads) I used Feather blades when I had little 2-day bristles in my face (Used it with my Muhle R89) and felt more comfort in comparison with Qshave + Personna blades...

Would that indication for a wrong choice of blades?

Regards,

Dan

Last edited:
Probably not the wrong choice of blades, but with a Future-Type razor, you should start at a low setting (1 or 2) and work your way up to the less-forgiving settings.

I have not tried this razor but since it is an adjustable razor you should try it at a lower setting.

Probably not the wrong choice of blades, but with a Future-Type razor, you should start at a low setting (1 or 2) and work your way up to the less-forgiving settings.

Agree^. Are you shaving ATG? Concentrate on getting a rich, creamy lather, and using WTG and XTG only for now. You may save yourself a lot of irritation and nicks.

Ouch!! I don't think I've had anything go that bad in my history of shaving! You've gotta dial that thing down! For me, settings 1 and 2 were almost useless. I'd recommend trying setting it at 3 and going from there. I ran through every setting and ended up settling on a 4.

I just have a Futur but for me a 4 is VERY aggressive!

A 1 on mine is like a Rockwell 6 plate. Thats more than enough for daily shaving.

I recommend you start with a way less aggressive razor. Just grab a Baili Tech clone to start. Some sites have them for under $10

On the positive side, from your picture, it appears the everything other than your upper lip was very well done.

Many TTO style (twist to open) razors have larger shaving heads than 3 piece razors and may take some getting used to to get in tight areas of the face, like under the nose.

And yes, Personna and Feather blades are super sharp, but can give very smooth shaves.

I've used the Personna blades and Qshave Ming Shi 2000 with success. Though as a few mentioned a 6 is extremely aggressive. I used 3-4 at most I believe and have sensitive skin.

What are you using for shave soap/cream? Brush? Are you getting a good enough lather with it.

I'd avoid ATG or even XTG with that razor until you've healed up. The mustache area for me can be a challenging area and I always go WTG never ATG there.

As others have stated, try using the razor at a 1-3 setting. I would recommend using at 1 for now to perfect your technique. I'd also say work on WTG and XTG for now until you're fully healed. Against the grain is difficult for most beginners as you cannot apply added pressure and a bad angle can cause major weepers, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry! I endorse the suggestion that you try a lower setting. I also suggest that you work on using NO pressure.

ackvil thank you. I will do that next time.
xxvaleria I will begin in a lower settings next time.

Agree^. Are you shaving ATG? Concentrate on getting a rich, creamy lather, and using WTG and XTG only for now. You may save yourself a lot of irritation and nicks.

Thank you. OK.

Ouch!! I don't think I've had anything go that bad in my history of shaving! You've gotta dial that thing down! For me, settings 1 and 2 were almost useless. I'd recommend trying setting it at 3 and going from there. I ran through every setting and ended up settling on a 4.

I'll do it. Thank you. 2 hours left. [URL='http://context.reverso.net/перевод/английский-русский/It%27s+really+not+as+bad']It's really not as bad
as it looked.

I recommend you start with a way less aggressive razor. Just grab a Baili Tech clone to start. Some sites have them for under $10

Understood. Thank you.

And yes, Personna and Feather blades are super sharp, but can give very smooth shaves.

Chris, thank you for your kind words. That is what I am trying to do.

What are you using for shave soap/cream? Brush?

Proraso white Pre-Shave
Arko shaving cream

By the way. Be AWARE of Proraso White Pre-Shave cream. It DOES have Menthol in its
ingredients. I don't think that is necessary . Personally me I don't like feeling of a cold on my face. If knew that I would buy Red Proraso instead of White.

Against the grain is difficult for most beginners as you cannot apply added pressure and a bad angle can cause major weepers, etc.

Thank you !
[/URL]

Why do you need the pre-shave? I use Arko without any pre-shave.

Maybe keep things simple?

I know for myself, lately I've been beating my neck up and it's all due to me being lazy and applying pressure. Once I stopped putting pressure on my neck things started to clear up. Not implying you are just admitting sometimes I have my bad days too.

Best of luck,

Does anybody ever tried the Merkur Futur against the Qshave, The Wahl Traditional Barbers and the Vshod? I wonder what the differences are between al these same looking razors. I like the cheaper models for their price and I like the Wahl for the black color and Traditional Barbers logo.

Does anybody ever tried the Merkur Futur against the Qshave, The Wahl Traditional Barbers and the Vshod? I wonder what the differences are between al these same looking razors. I like the cheaper models for their price and I like the Wahl for the black color and Traditional Barbers logo.

I have a futur but haven't tried a Qshave or Mingshi, etc. From what I've read on reviews (I think GeoFatBoy) on YouTube, the main difference is the heft and aggressiveness. I heard a 6 dialed in on Qshave is like a 2-3 on the Futur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Qshave is fairly mild up to about 4 but if I go past that angle and pressure become extremely important. Have cut myself more with that razor not paying attention than any other razor I have and I mostly use it and Arko sticks as my travel setup. Good luck and don’t stop asking questions lots of folks here to help

Top Bottom