What's new

My Flare Tips

I just wanted to share a minor milestone in my collection. This past weekend, I acquired a '58 Flare Tip SS, which was the final piece to my having, what I believe is a complete set of basic American Flare Tips:
IMG_20180110_200405.jpg

These were all acquired in the wild, at antique stores, except for the '64 (next to last in pic). It was my third vintage razor, and was bought off of Etsy, as the price was very right.

I'll be using the '58 Thursday morning for the first time, but these are all wonderful shavers. For me, the Red Tip requires a gentler touch, and the Black Handle Flare Tip really surprised me with how smooth and efficient it is.

Now, on to my next milestone, whatever that may be...

Now you need a Black Tip and a Regular 40’s Style, then you will have the complete set of U.S. Super Speeds...well except for the different variations.

Now you need a Black Tip and a Regular 40’s Style, then you will have the complete set of U.S. Super Speeds...well except for the different variations.
That sounds like it will be my next milestone! I already have a Black Tip, a Brown Tip (faded black tip), and 3 '40s style SS's, two of which are the early 1950 model. I think I'm going to try to get one from each year, as there were subtle differences in the '40s style from year to year.

Good suggestion - thanks!!

Nice collection! I think you still need another black handle though. The changed the baseplate in 79 (I think maybe 78) to a more square design before that it was like the 60s baseplate. I'm sure there are a few other very minor changes too. I still need a Blue Tip to finish (or at least come close to) my collection.

I like the black handle flaretip because you can use a little more pressure than usual.
With just about any razor I'm comfortable with, I find myself often using a little more pressure than I should - bad habit for me! Especially with the Blue Tip. If I use my Blue Tip for more than a couple of days in a row, I have to then change to a Tech, to transition back to "normal" razors, or I'll definitely draw blood.

Congrats. Very nice collection indeed! - I too am a fan of the flare tip, a true work horse in the Gillette family :thumbup1:
Agreed!!

Beautiful collection.

How did we get from that to this:
proxy.php

Or from this:
proxy.php

to this:
proxy.php

At times...."progress" sucks
I also agree, 100%! You might as well be asking "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?" - the world may never know!!

Nice collection! I think you still need another black handle though. The changed the baseplate in 79 (I think maybe 78) to a more square design before that it was like the 60s baseplate. I'm sure there are a few other very minor changes too. I still need a Blue Tip to finish (or at least come close to) my collection.
Good catch! I just looked on Mr Razor's site, and yes, it was '78. One more "one-off" to look for!

Nice collection!
Z1 is my birth quarter. After I acquired an old style and a flare tip (1954 is the only year Gillette made both styles of super speed), I think the darn things are multiplying in my razor drawer. Currently at 11 and counting, and I've given away 3 to friends!

Nice set! Currently I am at a D1 58 Flare Tip and a M1 67 Black Handle Flare Tip. Of the two, the 58 is my favorite. Of course, it does happen to be my birth year/quarter.

That's a really nice set. Congrats.

When I first tried a 1950's SS, I thought it was too mild. But it grew on me once I learned to relax and accept a really good shave with a classic well-balanced razor and stop bumming about a non-BBS shave. It traveled to Europe with me last fall. We bonded. :001_smile

All treasures of a long gone era in shaving.
Yes, such a pity!

Nice collection!
I think the darn things are multiplying in my razor drawer. Currently at 11 and counting, and I've given away 3 to friends!
It's funny how they do that!! I hope your friends know how lucky they are to have you as a friend.

Nice set! Currently I am at a D1 58 Flare Tip and a M1 67 Black Handle Flare Tip. Of the two, the 58 is my favorite. Of course, it does happen to be my birth year/quarter.
But, of course! I'd say right now, both of my '58s (TV Special and the regular) are right up there, but the Black Handle gives them a run for their money.

The 58 TV Special handle is quite attractive. I used this razor today. :)
I was so excited when I finally found mine a few weeks ago! It's a terrific razor.

That's a really nice set. Congrats.

When I first tried a 1950's SS, I thought it was too mild. But it grew on me once I learned to relax and accept a really good shave with a classic well-balanced razor and stop bumming about a non-BBS shave. It traveled to Europe with me last fall. We bonded. :001_smile
My J3 '64 is, so far, the only razor I've bought online. I saw it on Etsy, and realized it looked like the only DE razor I ever saw my Dad use, and I had to have it. He told me later, that he bought his brand new, at a gas station, for $1.00. Looking back, he probably had '50s style instead of the '60s.
Anyway, that J3 became my vacation travel razor last year, when I found an original tan plastic case for it. It is, like you said, just a good classic razor.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Nice collection. I just need a Blue Tip to complete my Super Speed collection. Just recently got a TV Special.

While the image you posted is really cool, it's quite sad when you think about...
I'd love to Gillette put out a new DE. I don't think they could reissue one of their vintage designs without having it outsourced or over priced, but I think they could put a new, affordable DE if they really wanted to. Maybe they could buy back some of their machinery and get back into the razor blade game.

Nice collection. I just need a Blue Tip to complete my Super Speed collection. Just recently got a TV Special.
Good luck with that! I've seen more Red Tips in the wild than I have Blue Tips, and when I finally found one, I felt like I had really accomplished something.

Top Bottom