What's new

My First Vinatge, UK 1930s New Type

Yes it was calling me, buy buy buy.

How do these differe from USA ones, are they the same just differnt mfg plants?

Thanks

From this thread, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...official-Gillette-NEW-Made-in-England-thread*

It appears to be a Twin | pin Long open comb (LOC) with a Basic handle.

Not sure if its a tech OC or not, I was hoping it would be a New type LOC. I am not an expert but I tought techs have SB.

Looks clean for sure.
Nice score, I have the same razor. I find it shaves basically the same as the US version. I don't care for the English handle and use a heavier one.

Make sure you post your though when you get it.

A NEW Long Comb, Flat Bottom, like this one

proxy.php

Nice shaver. The case looks like a mismatch.

Congrats and enjoy!:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Thanks for the details, I will report back when I get it.

I have read so many threads that New type is a great shaver but I could not find a nice clean one without major plating loss and cracked handles so I took a chance, I am impateint as well, I would have rathered have a nice clean USA one but I guess this will do.

Are the UK and USA ones same quality? I only seen gold tone USA models.

Is the one I bought Nickle? or Chrome? Looks nickel to me.

Thanks

Wow, I did not know there were that many New types, why so many types? do they all shave the same pretty much?

Wow, I did not know there were that many New types, why so many types? do they all shave the same pretty much?

I own all of those English New razors in the photos here and to my face the raised flat bottom and the flat bottom shave almost the same.

In my experience what made the most difference in the shave was the top cap. As you can see there are many. For me, a smooth shaver is a flat bottom, FB, or raised flat bottom, RFB,

bottom plate with a biased twin i pin tab-less top cap. My smoothest shaving English Gillette is my French Market Goodwill, number 3 in my photo.

As to why Gillette made so many different New Type heads? I have no idea. My collection is missing several. Just when I think I've seen them all a new one appears.

By the way great razor. Please let us know how it shaves when you've had a chance to try it. Enjoy.

If you love the New check out this thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/359924-What-is-your-favorite-Gillette-NEW

Last edited:
I really don't know why The English has such variety. Some will argue that the LC and SC shave differently but I never found a huge difference. The various pinned one shave about the same (I haven't tried them all) but the Raised Flat Bottom is the smoothest shaver you will find!!!!!(It is the KING OF RAZORS) with the English GoodWill just a tad below the Raised Flat Bottom. The US Goodwill NEW shaves just like the US long comb.

All of this is of course is my option.

I own all of those English New razors in the photos here and to my face the raised flat bottom and the flat bottom shave almost the same.

In my experience what made the most difference in the shave was the top cap. As you can see there are many. For me, a smooth shaver is a flat bottom, FB, or raised flat bottom, RFB,

bottom plate with a biased twin i pin tab-less top cap. My smoothest shaving English Gillette is my French Market Goodwill, number 3 in my photo.

As to why Gillette made so many different New Type heads? I have no idea. My collection is missing several. Just when I think I've seen them all a new one appears.

By the way great razor. Please let us know how it shaves when you've had a chance to try it. Enjoy.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/359924-What-is-your-favorite-Gillette-NEW

Chris is the Jedi of the NEW so what he says is gospel (I do miss JeffH though as he PIFed me my first English NEW)

The link in the first line doesn't work for me.

Thank you very infomative, it appears my razor is also flat a bottom, can not wait to try it out. I keep looking at, and think its so clean for being so old. Must have had an easy life.

Regards

It shaves great and enjoy it. MAybe a bit small and thin handle but you can put many aftermarket handles on.

Top Bottom