What's new

My First Use Of The Alum Block

After reading so much about using the alum block after shaving ,I decided to take the plunge and purchase one.The one I ordered is from India,pretty good sized and costed only $5.99.I actually received this 2 weeks ago because after reading the horror stories about the burn,I was sort of nervous.But today,I decided to "man up!",be a soldier and use the alum!!So,I did my usual shave routine today:wash my face,aplly lather,3 passes (WTG,XTG,and ATG) and after I did my final cold water rinse,I left my face wet and grabbed the alum block and got it a little wet.I could feel my pulse racing,and as I brought the alum block close to my face,I began to cringe like a child about to receive a vaccine and as I finally touched it to my face,I closed my eyes expecting the feel of a million needles hitting my face,and started rubbing the block around and I opened my eyes and to my surprise there was no fiery burn,but a refreshing tingle and bracing toning feeling!:blink:
But there was a small area where there was a tiny sting,but nothing to cry over.I wasnt sure whether Im supposed to leave it on,or rinse it off,but I kept my face wet while I cleaned up my razor and gear,still felt the tingling while I was doing so.But then I decided to just rinse my face again,not because it was irritating me,but because I wasnt sure If I was supposed to leave it on,or rinse off.I dried my face,and applied some balm to moisturize and my face felt GREAT!.So,in conclusion,there wasnt the fiery pits of hell burn I was expecting,maybe my shave wasnt that rough.But to be honest,Ive felt worse burn from some of my splashes then I did using the alum.But in the end,I liked it ,alot and glad I finally used it.Its for sure staying in my routine and glad Ive conqured my alumphobia,lol.:thumbup1:
$251016886443_2.jpg

I like post-shave Alum, find that it lets me know how the shave went. I wash it off before using Balm or other post shave products.

-- John Gehman

my question is this also:I want to keep it in the bathroom,but heard that moisture will cause it to dizolve over time.What would be a good container to store it in to keep it dry?

I also use an alum block on my face after shaving. I let it stay on my face for a few minutes and then rinse it off. If I don't rinse my face then about 2 hours later my face is itching like crazy. I love the tingle and the skin tightening feeling that I get from alum.

my question is this also:I want to keep it in the bathroom,but heard that moisture will cause it to dizolve over time.What would be a good container to store it in to keep it dry?

Try to find one of those closing travel soap thing-a majiggs. Or get razorock brand- has its own little case. Drips a bit after it is wet though- so careful where you place it(razorock).

Sometimes I do 4 passes and then apply the Clubman Bay Rum...now that's the burning pits of hell on the face!
I must be nuts to still like doing this! LOL!

I use the Alum block after shaving and then rinse my face.Then, I use Witch Hazel.Then, I use a shaving balm.The Alum block has a little sting but, after that it is a piece of cake.

How appropriate you conquered your battle with alumaphobia on D-Day. I find alum actually most useful to get traction on a wet face when stretching the skin to get hard to reach areas under the jawline.

I really like alum. It does let me know if I've been a bit rough with the razor.
My alum came with a little case but like fcdiscus says you could use a travel soap holder.
Just remember to dry it off before you store it.

I've been trying to shave with a shavette - I wouldn't even bother without an alum block.
It doesn't sting anywhere near as much as most aftershave splashes.
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom