What's new

My first top tier suit

Awesome great find :thumbup1:

Also I'd recommend hitting the Goodwill or similar stores in your area. They almost always have great suits, sport coats, and over coats. I just scored a nice navy sport coat from my local one. Especially if you are a more common size you will likely find something there no problem.

Also it's a great way to promote good quality items being used rather then simply tossed in the trash for no good reason.

Awesome great find :thumbup1:

Also I'd recommend hitting the Goodwill or similar stores in your area. They almost always have great suits, sport coats, and over coats. I just scored a nice navy sport coat from my local one. Especially if you are a more common size you will likely find something there no problem.

Also it's a great way to promote good quality items being used rather then simply tossed in the trash for no good reason.

:crying:

My GoodWill has absolutely nothing. Picked clean of everything worth buying. Crazy. Nordstrom's Last Chance however... But the best they can possibly get is Hickey Freeman, and someone has to return it or refuse the suit. I've gotten two mint Hugo Boss suits there for $99, and my brother got a Joseph Aboud for $60. Anyway, besides there, not much bargains for me due to my size.

I went to Well Suited, a consignment store, and they had all sorts of "2nd tier" suits. Zegna, Collezioni, Canali, etc. And all for dirt cheap prices. And all one size too large. :crying: Told my brother to go buy them as they're his size. Hate my size.... :thumbdown

Actually tbh, I'm not entirely sure the chest on that Oxxford will fit me well. The chest on my well fitting jackets is usually about 40"-41", maybe the narrower armholes = wider chest measurement? If not, I'm hoping its alterable or won't be noticeable. Either case, fully canvassed suit, under $100, shoulders measure perfectly....can't go too wrong. :tongue_sm

edit:

Bad day for my credit, good day for my business wardrobe. Won this too. I think I stole it..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390126108963&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Last edited:
Tier ratings come from here.

I'd be ecstatic with a 3rd tier suit from that tier system. :thumbup1:

Ditto...I wonder who came up with the list? Must be a lot of tiers. I definitely wouldn't wear any of the first four tier suits to work every day.

I bought a couple (navy & tan) Hart Shaffner & Marks Gold Trumpeter suits from a website called Rue La La for $299 each & I was happy with my purchases.

Tier ratings come from here.

I'd be ecstatic with a 3rd tier suit from that tier system. :thumbup1:

Very interesting discussion they are having on that forum...I agree with the poster that said that people need to learn what goes into making a quality suit and what to look for when purchasing a suit off the rack (OTR).

It came in today! And its thinner in the chest than I thought! Bonus! A full 2", which is good, because a 44" chest is ridiculous on a 38" frame. But 42" is probably liveable.

I have no idea how to tell the wear & tear of the garment, but it looks pretty darn perfect. Much better than any new OTR items under $1500. Only thing is its a half lined jacket, which is kind of weird. Never seen those before. But full canvas construction, very nice herringbone pattern... I think I've done pretty good for $80.

It came in today! And its thinner in the chest than I thought! Bonus! A full 2", which is good, because a 44" chest is ridiculous on a 38" frame. But 42" is probably liveable.

I have no idea how to tell the wear & tear of the garment, but it looks pretty darn perfect. Much better than any new OTR items under $1500. Only thing is its a half lined jacket, which is kind of weird. Never seen those before. But full canvas construction, very nice herringbone pattern... I think I've done pretty good for $80.

Yes...you did very very well my friend!!

Is there a website that tells someone what to look for when purchasing a suit? I know that a non-lined suit is a mark of quality because the seams are more finished and does not have the protection of lining, therefore the seams are better constructed.

I had not seen this thread previously. I guessed the brand before I opened the link and before I got close to the original post. Pretty impressive garment, eh?! Oxxford even at $900 is a bargain. Hickey-Freeman is not bad either.

Oxxford is famous for that unlined approach. I do not know about the tiers. I have barely heard of most of the specific subcategories of suits that are listed.

Top Bottom