What's new

My First Time ...

I have been using a DE for quite a while but have always been straight-razor-curious. I've spent a couple weeks acquiring a small stable of razors which are going out to Alfredo for honing and in the meantime I started with a pro-honed gold dollar to learn on and perfect my stropping technique. I did my usual prep today and got a nice slick lather with some Grooming Department Duck Fat soap - and things went really smoothly! I did 2-passes on the cheeks and neck and made a first pass at the lip/chin area. I didn't go for a super close shave this first time so I did a final pass with a Schick Injector and I was set. No nicks or irritation at all. I'm left-handed and I found it pretty awkward shaving the right side of my face - I still need to decide if I'm going to switch hands. There's definitely a learning curve, but I'm excited to keep at it.

Full disclosure - this wasn't technically my very first time, because I attempted a shave last week with a very nice vintage Keen Cutter, but it was a smaller spike point and I managed to give myself a couple scratches pretty much right off the bat so I regrouped and called that attempt off. The lesson I take away from the experience is that at least for me, a round point is much more comfortable for learning on. I found out later that you can mute the point, so I may try that also.

I have been using a DE for quite a while but have always been straight-razor-curious. I've spent a couple weeks acquiring a small stable of razors which are going out to Alfredo for honing and in the meantime I started with a pro-honed gold dollar to learn on and perfect my stropping technique. I did my usual prep today and got a nice slick lather with some Grooming Department Duck Fat soap - and things went really smoothly! I did 2-passes on the cheeks and neck and made a first pass at the lip/chin area. I didn't go for a super close shave this first time so I did a final pass with a Schick Injector and I was set. No nicks or irritation at all. I'm left-handed and I found it pretty awkward shaving the right side of my face - I still need to decide if I'm going to switch hands. There's definitely a learning curve, but I'm excited to keep at it.

Full disclosure - this wasn't technically my very first time, because I attempted a shave last week with a very nice vintage Keen Cutter, but it was a smaller spike point and I managed to give myself a couple scratches pretty much right off the bat so I regrouped and called that attempt off. The lesson I take away from the experience is that at least for me, a round point is much more comfortable for learning on. I found out later that you can mute the point, so I may try that also.
Go ahead and use both hands. You'll be glad you did.

Dont mute the point either....learn how to shave with it that way you wont shy away from that type of point in the future. Now will you get bit by it? Possibly but that teaches you that your technique needs improving.

Top Bottom