What's new

My First Time Making And Using A Shim. WOW.

I got some really new (to me) information yesterday from colleagues about using a shim. Well as it was shave evening today I thought I would try it.

I have been testing out a 60's English Tech Aluminum Double Spiral so it was 2nd shave with this. Been a bit underwhelmed T.B.H so far. Just using cheap Gillettte WS SS Indians as I have found them to have no vices for me. Last shave with it was a disappointment. It was an OK shave, but I felt I could do better with it.

I got a pair of scissors and trimmed an old Derby Extra from my first ever pack. That was my shim. Then I slapped in a GWS (2nd use). I thought I would up the old ARKO routine so I used the Castle Forbes cream in lime. Amazing stuff!

So I lathered up. In fact I lathered up for a long time. The idea of the shim intimidating me? Yep. But in a lime-essential oils induced frenzy I picked up the Tech and set to. The bathroom smelt very luxurious by this point.

I was cautious. Tilted head and found the angle. A first NS done. I was impressed. I had a 48 hr growth, but already it was now 'socially acceptable'. Ok. This is good I thought.

Second pass XTG was even better. I was mindful of blade angle, but the Tech was performing sweet. Too good to be true I thought. In fact I was done. A DFS.

But I had an empty coleslaw pot of Castle Forbes still brimming with rich lather. (I only used about a penny sized slice, about 3mm thick. Jeez) So a 3rd pass NS. The Tech was feeling aggressive and competent. So was I. Amazing.

My usual OCD clean up around moustache and chin/gills, and I have a BBS. The best shave I have had yet. Seriously.

Was it the shim, or the Castle Forbes? It wasn't the blade, though with the angle changed it was smooth and efficient. A cheap blade gave me that result in a 32 gram (1oz) razor. Mrs Ladd is now stroking my jaw in the best 50's black and white T.V ad tradition. 'What a lovely shave' she is purring.

So, thanks to everyone who wised me up to the shim. A landmark shave.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Shimming … yes!
1636402678379.gif

Brother Ladd,

Several points I would add:

Some folks insist a shim cannot be used in a TTO razor. Not true, in my experience.

A shim can also be used to tame an overly aggressive razor. How? Put the shim on TOP of the working blade.

I would not advise a shim in an adjustable razor. You already have the capacity to increase or to reduce the aggression.

If a shim is insufficient, try two shims. The Muhle R89 is way too mild for me. But I find with 2 shims it is spot-on perfect. No razor in my collection of 60 razors shaves me better than my double shimmed R89.

Well, another 48 hour growth, another run with the Tech.

1 shim, (same) and the Gillette W/S Indian. 3rd use. The blade, is if anything performing better and smoother. Odd.

Used Arko, and got a nice reliable lather up.

Smelling like the men's restroom at Waterloo Station, I began.

I thought I would change it up direction wise. Commenced a N/S. Already, socially acceptable.

I then did a S/N. I was pretty much done. A 3rd pass touch up, a kind of hybrid XTG with a Gillette slide 'homage' :)

Well, if anything the results were better than the first time. That Tech performs like a little 60's sports car.

Well pleased.

Never thought of using Derby blades for that...I have way too many of them from sample packs that I never use.

May need to toy around with this.
I would definitely recommend experimenting with it. The results are pleasantly dramatic (to me anyway). It gives any razor some adjustability capacity on the cheap.

Next I am going to play around with 2 shims, and trying the technique in my old friend the short handled EJ DE89 'Kelvin'.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
All you shim lovers have your fun, I'm sticking to the original designer's blueprint. I once thought I was smarter than Gillette's engineers but after a raft of experiments I concluded I simply needed to work on my basic technique.

Don't get me wrong, I see where some shavers would like more blade feel or exposure or gap, but I'm not one of them. I can get an absolutely great no-brainer shave with a stock Tech or Super Speed without all the fiddling around.

The best part of shimming for me was the realization that after 35-40 years of DE shaving I just needed to slightly change pressure and up my angles to steeper giving me a better shave.

All you shim lovers have your fun, I'm sticking to the original designer's blueprint. I once thought I was smarter than Gillette's engineers but after a raft of experiments I concluded I simply needed to work on my basic technique.

Don't get me wrong, I see where some shavers would like more blade feel or exposure or gap, but I'm not one of them. I can get an absolutely great no-brainer shave with a stock Tech or Super Speed without all the fiddling around.

The best part of shimming for me was the realization that after 35-40 years of DE shaving I just needed to slightly change pressure and up my angles to steeper giving me a better shave.
"I'm not in love, don't get me wrong
It's just a silly phase I'm going through"

10cc. 1975.

I've never shimmed, but I still say you have, hands down, the best handle of anyone on B&B. Alum Ladd is brilliant! :lol:
Well. I can only state that I was VERY, VERY drunk at the time.. ;)
I feel I need to clarify my reply Gentlemen.

I was VERY, VERY drunk when I thought up my handle.

I NEVER drink and DE shave. As Mrs. Calvin Coolidge famously stated in 1924, "A gentleman never imbibes strong liquors while shaving his face. These are the manners of speakeasy habitues and bootleggers"

Drinking and DE shaving just is not done. One especially does not shim while intoxicated.

Top Bottom