What's new

My first thoughts on Downeast Shave soap Co.

Hello to all. I've decided to give a brief run down on this relatively new company, Downeast Shaving Soap Co. and their soap offerings. I bought 2 that I saw on the "Bay" that ran under $10 for each tin. One scented Leather and the other Katahdin. Both Shea Butter and glycerin based soaps. The leather scented soap is exactly that, a nice tan hide aroma with a hint of some citrusy lemon or orange type fragrance. It actually blends quite nicely with the leather accord, at least to my nose. I'm not that skilled in picking out notes but it smelled good to me. Even better when lathered. I used a Hibco Boar brush since the soap is actually a puck inside of a tin. The tin is on the smallish side, so I can see where some might be uncomfortable in trying to create a lather out of it. To me it was of little significance. I took my Boar brush soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and took this soap to task. Within 30-40 seconds I was starting to get that nice, deep and rich lather. I'll be straight gents, I load it like I stole it. Rather be over than under when it comes to lather. Transfered to my shave bowl, added a couple more drops of water and another 30 seconds a beautiful creamy lather with nice peaks on the brush. Applied it to my face and it just built up wonderfully. Proceeded to shave and the slickness was quickly noted. It stayed hydrated through out the whole shave, never dried on me once. Good cushion and the blade just glided over my skin. Very delightful shave I might say. Plus, my face felt moisturized and hydrated. And the scent does not interfere with your AS or Cologne of choice. I was pleasantly surprised by its performance. If you want to try something different, give them a shot. I'm glad I did, and I think quite a few of you will be too.
Enjoy Gents and have a great day!
View attachment 701839
:thumbup:

Great review!! I use Downeast Shaving Soap (Sebago Spice, Bar Harbor Brut) in my rotation and am almost out of both. I've used the Passamaquoddy Bay Peppermint in the summer. It's definitely a great soap and my experience is similar to your. For me using a synthetic brush, it does lather nice, good slick, and the post shave is very nice. (Being within driving distance, I save on shipping :w00t:)

Great review!! I use Downeast Shaving Soap (Sebago Spice, Bar Harbor Brut) in my rotation and am almost out of both. I've used the Passamaquoddy Bay Peppermint in the summer. It's definitely a great soap and my experience is similar to your. For me using a synthetic brush, it does lather nice, good slick, and the post shave is very nice. (Being within driving distance, I save on shipping :w00t:)

Aaaah. More to try out! :lol:
Your that close? Lucky dog you!!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom