What's new

My First Synthetic Brush

I've been using an Italian Barber Tri Color for a month plus and nothing else. My first brush was a Omega Boar and it's still going strong since around '14. I tried others but always came back to it.

The Tri Color is different. Out of the box it's noticeably softer than my other brushes. I heard the term "Sckritch" here a few times. The Tri Color doesn't have any which is a good thing for me. It's so soft but at the same time it has back bone. More so than my Omega. I works up a lather differently. It might need more loading but produces a finer lather with than the others. This brush really brings out the character of the different soaps I have. It even makes Arko better. Now how can perfection be improved?

Someday maybe I'll upgrade to Simpson. I got the Tri Color on sale for 8 bucks so maybe not.

If you are going to keep up with the latest in synthetics you need to look into the new AP shave or Maggards G5 knots. They are more expensive than most current synthetics, but not too bad. Plus you can pick your own handle. Then get a Simpsons when you have more experience if you want.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I haven't been very impressed with the Simpsons synthetic brushes. I have owned the Trafalgar T2, Chubby 2 and Duke 3 and for me none of them outperform several much less expensive synthetic brushes I have from Yaqi, PAA, Italian Barber and TurnNShave.

I used a badger brush for nearly twenty years, assuming that it was the pinnacle of shaving brushes. When the knot fell out a couple of months ago, I took a punt on a synthetic, a PAA Peregrino.

Man, it blows the badger out of the bathroom. Quicker to generate a creamy lather, softer for painting. I'm never going back to critter brushes! :p

I've been using an Italian Barber Tri Color for a month plus and nothing else. My first brush was a Omega Boar and it's still going strong since around '14. I tried others but always came back to it.

The Tri Color is different. Out of the box it's noticeably softer than my other brushes. I heard the term "Sckritch" here a few times. The Tri Color doesn't have any which is a good thing for me. It's so soft but at the same time it has back bone. More so than my Omega. I works up a lather differently. It might need more loading but produces a finer lather with than the others. This brush really brings out the character of the different soaps I have. It even makes Arko better. Now how can perfection be improved?

Someday maybe I'll upgrade to Simpson. I got the Tri Color on sale for 8 bucks so maybe not.
Hi JoeG, Your approach of using both a quality synthetic and boar brush is right on as they compliment each other nicely for a variety of shave soaps. In my case I use a Razorock Monster synthetic and Blondie boar. See the link below where I just wrote about this in depth. Monster plissoft has held up well over 2+ years of continuous use. $9 on sale. Blondie was the same price.

Top Bottom