What's new

My First Stub Tail…

Well after watching the Bay for a good long while, along with occasionally poking around the local flea market, I finally found a stub tail that I liked. I’ve researched and all I can figure is it’s likely 1810-1830 or so. There is a very faint mark next to “Temper” that looks as though it could be the bottom of 2 letters, likely a combination of “C” and “G.” I don’t think this shows up in photos. Does anyone have any more specific idea about this razor? I’m thinking it’s likely a Sheffield and the letters are “GC” but I cannot be certain.
E9F263E8-A904-4B22-A1D4-1FF913928B4F.jpeg
3701A12C-CB9A-4C0E-A111-330DBA82391D.jpeg

Thanks! I've been struggling on how far to go in cleanup, ultimately deciding to leave it where it is for now. I did have to de-pin to remove the blade as there was some pretty heinous rust around the pivot pin. That was a little nerve racking. These scales are PAPER THIN! And still in quite good shape other than one slight chip. I have no clue how to clean these with the design trapping grime... especially since I'm afraid to use any pressure at all.

And the shave that is 200+ years in the making!

So you likely notice from the picture I wasn't completely thorough with the bevel set at the toe and the heel. The heel actually shaves, the toe cuts hair but doesn't "shave." Honestly, I worked on several razors and got tired of rubbing steel on rocks. I did run this through a progression to a black ark, and set out to shave with it tonight.

I kept expectations pretty low. No way this thing can give a super smooth BBS shave like more refined later period razors. I don't think anyone pretends that heat treating and tempering methods of the very early 1800s to be on par with the late 1800s or early 1900s. I was pretty gentle stropping. I decided to be happy if I could get a SAS without chewing my face off. This beauty exceeded my expectations a little. It was rather tough shaving WTG (2 day growth so I wasn't asking a whole lot). It tugged, and missed some hairs. The first pass was not comfortable. Honestly it reminded me of my frederick reynolds. On the ATG stroke, it performed significantly better. Still tugs a tad, but not uncomfortably, and it wiped stubble away pretty clean. At the end, I was left with a pretty close shave, better than merely socially acceptable. I'm pleased, as I don't intend to use it all that frequently anyway. But it is nice to have a useable piece in decent shape that literally could have been owned by James Madison.

Well after watching the Bay for a good long while, along with occasionally poking around the local flea market, I finally found a stub tail that I liked. I’ve researched and all I can figure is it’s likely 1810-1830 or so. There is a very faint mark next to “Temper” that looks as though it could be the bottom of 2 letters, likely a combination of “C” and “G.” I don’t think this shows up in photos. Does anyone have any more specific idea about this razor? I’m thinking it’s likely a Sheffield and the letters are “GC” but I cannot be certain.View attachment 1468334View attachment 1468335
Very nice. I knew I had seen scales like that somewhere :)

2EE40973-7990-4CBD-B244-D9730D72E03B_1_201_a.jpeg

Must be bone scales. I do like the look of those. And straight scales are a nice effect.
If you can unpin and pin safely then go for it. If not then send it out for cleaning. A good cleaning is probably needed. And if you're going that far a basic cleaning of the blade to remove some of the black but not all. You don't want a shiny blade. A little steel wool and polish is all I'd do. And not much either. Just enough to clean it up some. That is a nice find. Those old razors really shave well. I have a few from that timeline. They are getting really hard to find now.
Congrats!

Must be bone scales. I do like the look of those. And straight scales are a nice effect.
If you can unpin and pin safely then go for it. If not then send it out for cleaning. A good cleaning is probably needed. And if you're going that far a basic cleaning of the blade to remove some of the black but not all. You don't want a shiny blade. A little steel wool and polish is all I'd do. And not much either. Just enough to clean it up some. That is a nice find. Those old razors really shave well. I have a few from that timeline. They are getting really hard to find now.
Congrats!
That photo was after de-pin and cleanup. I removed all active rust and evened the patina a bit, but largely just wanted to kill active orange rust. I used steep wool with a bit of 800 w/d on a couple stubborn rust spots. It was nerve racking but I did it without cracking anything. I want to get a good magnifying glass for the scales. I think it's ivory, or most assuredly something besides bone of a ruminate animal. 200 year old cow bone would be quite brittle now, and would definitely not flex without breaking like these can.

Top Bottom