What's new

My first straight razor shaving experience...a failure

I gave about 100 laps in 0.5 Fe pasted side of the strop to the razor. The edge was improved but it is not that comfortable. I ordered some lapping films which may come to my address after 1 month or so. Hope to improve the edge of this razor. I went back to my shavette with Feather proguard blade.

Last edited:
I didn't want to give up so quickly. I usually do 90-120 laps in the iron pasted balsa side strop.

This time I went to for 30 laps in the CR pasted side and 60 laps in the iron side of the pasted strop. I saw an improvement of the edge through the loupe. The shave was much better. I need to find the correct post shave strop number to maintain the edge.

At least you have your shavette for a backup, that's something I think more people should consider when starting out with straights. And as you found out once you used the straight, your technique improves with the shavette. Keep at it!
Yes, an Ac shavette with a Feather Proguard / Kai Protouch blade I would say.

Question. My shave razor was honed with a layer of tape. I am trying to hone it every time after shave without a tape in my balsa strop. Was this a mistake?

P. S. I did 240 strops in about 8-10 minutes on my pasted balsa strop. I find this as progression.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Question. My shave razor was honed with a layer of tape. I am trying to hone it every time after shave without a tape in my balsa strop. Was this a mistake?

P. S. I did 240 strops in about 8-10 minutes on my pasted balsa strop. I find this as progression.
Not so much a mistake but of little use. Using tape increases the bevel angle. If you then hone on pasted balsa without tape, there is less chance that the actual edge of the blade will come in contact with the pasted balsa.

It is not a good idea to use a taped spine with pasted balsa. The tape material can contaminate the paste on the balsa.

Also, ink the edge to see what you are actually doing!

Also, if you can find kapton tape, you might be able to use that without contaminating your strop.

Like APBinNCA said. Inc the bevel. Take one stroke on the balsa with light pressure. If the inc is gone you are hitting the edge. If the Inc is still there close to the edge, try using a little torque on your razor on the balsa. You will probably hit the entire edge.
When I started honing I finished with tape and removed it for my final balsa step. I never had any issues hitting the whole bevel. I did it to reduse the convexity effect of the balsa.

Remember that honing and stropping are different and have different purposes. Pasted balsa attempts to be between the two, but it's truly stropping. It does a bit more than just align the edge, as stropping does, rather it's cleaning it too of burrs made from shaving.

Honing you will tape the spine to protect from honewear, but you don't do that stropping, as it's unnecessary and unhelpful for stropping.

Update. A generousn friend of mine offered me the chance to try a GD 66 razor shave ready. The razor had the 3 balsa progression and he sent me a diamond pasted balsa to maintain the razor.

I have been very satisfied with my Ac shavette as I have found probably the perfect Ac blade for me.

However I couldn't give up to the straight razor. So I have shaved twice with the GD razor. A very sharp razor, much much better than the Solingen one that I have been using. The edge was comfortable to me. The first shave was a bit unusual as I got some weepers. Second one was better. I am looking forward to test this razor regularly these coming weeks.

Never underestimate the power of a cheap razor honed well. GD66! :)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Update. A generousn friend of mine offered me the chance to try a GD 66 razor shave ready. The razor had the 3 balsa progression and he sent me a diamond pasted balsa to maintain the razor.

I have been very satisfied with my Ac shavette as I have found probably the perfect Ac blade for me.

However I couldn't give up to the straight razor. So I have shaved twice with the GD razor. A very sharp razor, much much better than the Solingen one that I have been using. The edge was comfortable to me. The first shave was a bit unusual as I got some weepers. Second one was better. I am looking forward to test this razor regularly these coming weeks.

Never underestimate the power of a cheap razor honed well. GD66! :)
Remember, the keener the edge the flatter the shave angle should be.

Never underestimate the power of a cheap razor honed well.

I have seven razor cases, arranged with somewhat similar razors. My routine is to open one, shave with all the razors and that one goes to the bottom of the pile. I make a point of shaving with all of them, to ensure they all get regular attention.

The one I always look forward to is my "favourites" case, mostly Filarmonica, with a Koraat 14-2 and a Mannos 14.

The one that I least look forward to is the GD case, but I am proven wrong every time. Never disappoints me when it comes to shaving, and every time I am amazed that a GD with a good edge can shave as good or better than a razor 30 times more expensive.

There is more to a razor than shaving, but value for money, and looking at it strictly as a shaving tool, you can't beat a GD!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have a "few" SRs in my stable. Most cost me less than US$100 (new and used) and about a quarter of my stable cost over US$100, some over US$200. Like a few others have stated, I get my best and most enjoyable shave from my cheap(er) SRs.

Don't get me wrong, my expensive SRs are also very good shavers and I often select one to shave with. It is just that my cheap(er) SRs are a real joy to shave with. I am not sure if it is something physical with the SRs or just in my mind.

At least you have your shavette for a backup, that's something I think more people should consider when starting out with straights. And as you found out once you used the straight, your technique improves with the shavette. Keep at it!
I have a shavette as a backup to my SR, which is a backup to my preferred SR.

Another shave with the GD razor which is maintained in a 1m pasted balsa strop. I think this is the fourth shave.

Last week as I was away from home I used my Ac shavette with a Kai Titan pink blade.

So the shave with GD went well. I find that when I use the straight razor I should aim for an angle that cuts easily. Instead when I use a shavette I aim to keep a light touch with short strokes to have full control.

I can say that the edge maintained after every shave with the balsa strop has not changed! I know it's a bit early but it is such a relief for a beginner to maintain a razor sharp enough with just a piece of wood.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Another shave with the GD razor which is maintained in a 1m pasted balsa strop. I think this is the fourth shave.

Last week as I was away from home I used my Ac shavette with a Kai Titan pink blade.

So the shave with GD went well. I find that when I use the straight razor I should aim for an angle that cuts easily. Instead when I use a shavette I aim to keep a light touch with short strokes to have full control.

I can say that the edge maintained after every shave with the balsa strop has not changed! I know it's a bit early but it is such a relief for a beginner to maintain a razor sharp enough with just a piece of wood.
I'm not sure if you have them but putting your GD through a full 0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μm pasted balsa strop progression after each shave, should have you experiencing an improvement in the edge's quality. Just keep on doing that after every shave until you notice no further improvement. Then you can just maintain on 0.1μm hanging balsa.

I'm not sure if you have them but putting your GD through a full 0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μm pasted balsa strop progression after each shave, should have you experiencing an improvement in the edge's quality. Just keep on doing that after every shave until you notice no further improvement. Then you can just maintain on 0.1μm hanging balsa.
Thanks @rbscebu.

I wrote the numbers wrong again. I meant 0.1um.

The GD razor given to me was previously honned through a full 0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μm pasted balsa strop progression before. So I got it shave ready.
I have been gifted with a 0.1μm pasted balsa strop. I don't have the 3 progression balsa strops for the moment.

I strop the Gd in this 0.1μm pasted balsa strop after each shave.

I have only 4 shaves so far and the edge is still sharp.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks @rbscebu.

I wrote the numbers wrong again. I meant 0.1um.

The GD razor given to me was previously honned through a full 0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μm pasted balsa strop progression before. So I got it shave ready.
I have been gifted with a 0.1μm pasted balsa strop. I don't have the 3 progression balsa strops for the moment.

I strop the Gd in this 0.1μm pasted balsa strop after each shave.

I have only 4 shaves so far and the edge is still sharp.
What I find works well for me is the following after each shave:

0.1μm balsa hand held
15 standard laps​
6 short X strokes​
End-for-end balsa​
15 standard laps​
8 short X strokes​

0.1μm balsa hanging

15 standard laps​
10 short X strokes​
End-for-end balsa​
15 standard laps​
12 short X strokes​
BTW, check out this PIF as you might be eligible.

Update.

I got a cheap leather strop from Aliexpress under 16 usd from Dscosmetic. It is short and the leather is not as good as my current strop, but at least has a linen strop. I hope I don't cut it as the current one I have for some months.

The shave today was very nice with the Gd. I have still to find the right technique that it leaves my face smooth after the shave with this razor.

On the other side, I am finding that once you get used with a shavette, you need to alter your expectation from the straight razor. They need different techniques IMHO made from small details.

Top Bottom