What's new

My First Straight Razor is Coming

Hi from Michigan.

After scraping my face for about two dozen years with various pivoting and electric whatnots, I started thinking about trying out straight razors. So I'm jumping right over to them (pending delivery). I'm thinking I might pick up a brush today or tomorrow and start practicing the prep side of things while doing a wet shave with my current cartridge razor.

I tend not to post much to online forums but I know I will enjoy it here. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge here for all of us coming in fresh.

Hello and welcome to B&B, Robert. This is a super forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here.

Even if you don't post a lot, be sure to read the information in the straight forum. It will help you a lot.

Good luck.

Welcome and congrats. There's a ton of helpful information in the form of stickies and historical thread searches, but don;t be shy as questions come up. Also, reading through others shave journals (which you may want to consider starting to track progress and solicit feedback) is great.

What did you buy for your first straight?

Go slow and enjoy. Eating for your straight will give you time to look at You Tube videos of shaving techniques. Remember you don't have to do your whole face the 1st time! Do parts of it that are flat and you feel comfortable doing. Finish off the rest with your usual razor.

I found a package deal of a couple Dovo's here in the B/S/T forum. One is a 5/8 Dovo Special I think will be my first shave (I read that a round tip is a good choice for beginners). The other is a 6/8 Fritz Bracht which is a square tip. And it comes with another blade (needs work) with a hand made handle - something perhaps I can play with when I get a stone.

So I skipped over the "just one" phase as well. :)

Robert,

After struggling with a Cutthroat for about a year and a half I am not yet confident enough to do my whole face. Admittedly I am very slow.
But I am patient. Someday I'll make the breakthrough.

Meanwhile my Rolls and double edge razors keep me happy and clean shaven. Even some BBS's.

I am eyeing the Japanese straight razors which may overcome my dread of applying the blade to my blind spots.
I think Van Gogh had the same problem.

Mickey

Welcome fellow Michiganian! You one brave soul going straight to the straights. But good for you! You have certainly come to the right place. I look forward to watching your progress.

Hey, thanks for the nice welcome everyone. That's a good idea about doing a journal. I should go ahead and start one up (it'll add a little peer pressure too ;) ). I didn't notice that part of the forums. Will be interesting to read through them.

Hi from Michigan.

After scraping my face for about two dozen years with various pivoting and electric whatnots, I started thinking about trying out straight razors. So I'm jumping right over to them (pending delivery). I'm thinking I might pick up a brush today or tomorrow and start practicing the prep side of things while doing a wet shave with my current cartridge razor.

I tend not to post much to online forums but I know I will enjoy it here. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge here for all of us coming in fresh.
Keep us updated on your shave gear arrival[emoji6]

Top Bottom