What's new

My first straight and strop (with pics)

Today I got a call to tell me a package has arrived. I am only waiting on my first straight razor and strop so I guess it is here:biggrin:

I have been a wetshaver all my life and a DE shaver for several years now. The itch to try a straight has been getting stronger now and and I felt the time was now right for me to try it. My plan is to work with a single razor and strop then buy a second shave ready razor and possibly a stone and then try to hone the first razor, at least then I will have a shave ready to compare with.

The razor is a shave ready Avio from a honemeister who is well known in the UK, I have it on good authority from B&B users and other forums that this guys knows his stuff. The razor passes all the usual tests (hanging hair etc). Along with the razor I bought a cosmetically imperfect Latigo strop for half the price of a perfect one because I am sure I will nick it at some point.

My plan may change depending on how easy it is is to hone a blade and if I have the urge to learn. However that is in the distance and I will cross that bridge when I come to it. For now I am looking forward to the first shave.

Here are some pics cause I all know we like pics.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And one of the Latigo strop

proxy.php

That looks like a handsome blade to start your journey with.

Good luck with it. Just remember that results often come slowly and enjoy the ride!

Thanks for all the comments guys. Well it was the razor and strop that had arrived and yes I have a bald spot on my arm where I could not help myself having a little stroke with the blade.

I need to wait till I am not against a clock and shave in the evening or weekend. Get myself fully prepared (have a phone handy with emergency number on speed dial :biggrin:) and then take my time to enjoy it.

I did get a great look from the wife and daughter when I took it out, it was like a scene out of the shining I am happy as a pig in muck and look round to find both of them with "that look" on their faces.

Sounds like you have thought it through well. I started my str8 journey maybe 6 months ago. I have enjoyed all the aspects of it. I can now shave my beard closer than if I use a DE or SE razor. That took a bit of time and practice but I expected it. Enjoy the journey and ask questions when you have them. I have found the people here at B&B are very willing to help out.

This is what makes this forum a great place to get honest information based on experience not marketing fluff.

I have had the strop hanging overnight and it is nice and flat now, it was packed in a big box which meant the strop was not curled up for posting. Expensive for the vendor but it shows the attention to detail and care. Neil already stropped it on canvas then leather so it truly is shave ready.

I have pratically burned out youtube watching all the clips, I have laughed at some and learned with other videos. Between that, this place, the vendor and the other straight forums I have had more support in venturing into straight shaving than I ever did learning to drive or buying a house.

It is down to me now:eek:

Just FYI those pictures are not mine they are Neils (the seller), he is a much better photographer than me. I have this item in my hands and the items are every bit as good as they look in the pictures.

:thumbup: as for the pics neil is also a profesional photographer:thumbup:
looks like he has done you well for the money mate im about ten shaves in and just getting the angles and stuff, yesterdays shave was a two pass adventure with the wapi, and vertual bbs just the kneck line to sort out. and no nics or weepers:biggrin:
im a getting there:thumbup:

welcome to the art that is straight shaving. its an adventure alright! never tried any sheffield steel myself, haven't used a DE or SE razor either...

Thats great to hear, to me there is little value to anything that requires no effort in learning. This is much a skill as a technique and exercise in control, I find DE shaving to be a pleasureable experience and am sure in time will feel the same about straights.

Years down the line DE shaving I still enjoy emptying my mind and just being in the "now" for five minutes each day, never mind what crap is waiting for you at work, now is shave time.

Some of the guys in work think I am in a timewarp, I use old razors. I listen to older music, I appreciate the history around me and could not care less about the latest bar/club that is just open. I prefer a nice walk or drive to a night out and I am only 37. They mock me with their Fusions but I have turned one of them to DE shaving and the rest will follow. The open minded guy bought himself a Parker (out of the blue) and when I heard I gave him a pack of swedes and some Proraso (The crack of DE shaving), he just asked me where to get Prorarso today...my first claim.

Neil enclosed a card to his site, he does do some stunning work in monochrome. His contol and use of light is very very good. I used to do a lot of photography and strived for that kind of contol. So he is a honemeister and great photographer, I guess both are similar in thie technique, patience and contol.

Thanks Audiolab - I am in the waiting for my razor and strop mode and reading your post has me itching to get started. Keep up the posting!

I recognise Neils work, really nice, is a pleasure to deal with him.
I'm thinking on buying one of his strops.

:w00t:thank audio i wasnt sure if i could do that:w00t:
as for the strop, i said it was perfect didnt i:lol:
neil is the best
cant wait for him to find me a wedge:lol:

:biggrin:ok take ya time, strop the blade but keep the spine against the strop:wink: dont do as i did and did the blade into the strop:frown:, and most of all enjoy the shave concerntrate on ya cheeks until ya get disipline in ya hands. clean up with a de.
enjoy ya 1st shave
colin

Top Bottom