What's new

My first slant - Pomco Diagonal - any advice on shaving with a slant in general?

Gents, today I went down another rabbit hole and ordered my first slant. I have been curious to try slants for a while, but honestly I fell for this one because it is such a darn beautiful looking razor - and because I am off on vacation with too much time on my hands...:001_rolle

I have researched a bit in older threads on this razor (and its Hoffritz sister) but am curious to know any info you may have. And also any pointers to how to shave with a slant in general. Is it (a lot:w00t:) more aggressive than a regular razor - some apparently think it is, others not...?!

Thanks!

IMG_0261.JPG

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Congrats on a fine piece of kit. Those were, like Hoffritz, Coles, and another I can't remember, made by Merkur. Excellent condition!

They aren't aggressive or scary. You'll find the correct angle and it will feel as if there isn't a blade in there! Shave as you normally do and let us know how it works out.

You found it while on vacation? Cool.

Your case is different than mine it seems.
full

Last edited:
Congrats on a fine piece of kit. Those were, like Hoffritz, Coles, and another I can't remember, made by Merkur. Excellent condition!

They aren't aggressive or scary. You'll find the correct angle and it will feel as if there isn't a blade in there! Shave as you normally do and let us know how it works out.

full

Thanks, Doug, and wow, yours is mighty fine too, and with a much better condition box!

Also thanks for the reassuring words, now I really can't wait to try it out. I did not find it in the wild, alas, but on Etsy (dang that newly installed fast fibernet at my summerhouse;))...

FYI here is my case in full (sellers' pics):

IMG_0268.PNG
IMG_0270.PNG

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Mine may look good the way it's positioned, but there's a crack in the handle on the underside ... :blush:

Last edited:
The Pomco, as Doug said, is essentially a vintage Merkur 37c (well, he didn't say it, I did). Great slant to start with as it is on the milder side, but very efficient. Shave like you would any DE razor as the head shape already slants the blade for you. I find that for the Merkur 37/39 and RR 37, start off using the angle that the edge of the top cap gives you. It should give good results.

I'm a big fan of slants. I have a Hoffrtiz (lower center in the photo below).

full

As long as you keep a light touch when using it, you should have no problem with it.

I love my 37C but would love to try out a Wunderbar with the SE handle. That new titanium handle they put on them is fugly!!!

Treat it like any other razor. Let it do all the work for you. Don’t change a thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just use it like any other DE. You've made a good choce. The Merkur 37 (which is the same razor) still is one of my favorite slants and I've tried a lot. The Pomco is extra pretty in that it has a silver grip and a much better looking box :)

It's already been said...Treat it like any other razor. Let it do all the work for you, and you'll be rewarded with some sublime shaves.;)

full
The other is Lunawerks and Brumml Sausalito too

il_570xN.1200906333_hgc2.jpg

Attachments

• il_570xN.1200906333_hgc2.jpg
    il_570xN.1200906333_hgc2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 10
The Brummi is a 38, it has a much thinner grip. My Lunawerk is different too in that it has a short screw head, so you can use different grips with it.
But true, basically all Merkur roduced closed comb torqued slants have the same head.

Great looking razor!

I have not had great results with slants, so I can't really provide any advice other than to enjoy the razor!

Top Bottom