What's new

My first shave with the (seemingly rare) Wade & Butcher DE razor

Tonight I to my recently obtained Wade & Butcher DE for a test drive. If you haven't seen my other posts, here it is: Wade & Butcher DE

Since there was no way I was going to use the proprietary blade that came with it (a tad too rusty for my liking), I had to modify a modern blade. So out came the tweezers and one of my remaining Astra SP's, and it was a fine fit.
Usually on one day's growth, a razor this aggressive would normally set my face on fire, so I decided to pair it with my Uncle Jon's Pipe Smoke set, hoping that the alcohol-free splash would show my skin mercy.
My recent shaves with a Gem Micro Matic, and my Ever Ready "Shovelhead" have really helped me get a better appreciation for blade angle, because treating this W&B like a SE razor helped me get what turned out to be a very efficient, yet very comfortable WTG/ATG shave. About the only place I have any tenderness is on my neck where I got a little cocky and buffed the area to clean up.
I'm thinking the REAL test will be if I use one of my mentholated sets with it next.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
They look menacing, but it deliver a fairly comfortable safe. A little modification on a DE blade and you set to go. I scored some NOS blades and a poster a few months ago for the W&B DE

603CA643-7927-41F0-B58F-3BC932BEFA47.jpeg

They look menacing, but it deliver a fairly comfortable safe. A little modification on a DE blade and you set to go. I scored some NOS blades and a poster a few months ago for the W&B DE

View attachment 936688
I remember finding your post after I got this razor. Even if I had those blades, I don't know if I could bring myself to use them. Once they're gone....

Tonight I to my recently obtained Wade & Butcher DE for a test drive. If you haven't seen my other posts, here it is: Wade & Butcher DE

Since there was no way I was going to use the proprietary blade that came with it (a tad too rusty for my liking), I had to modify a modern blade. So out came the tweezers and one of my remaining Astra SP's, and it was a fine fit.
Usually on one day's growth, a razor this aggressive would normally set my face on fire, so I decided to pair it with my Uncle Jon's Pipe Smoke set, hoping that the alcohol-free splash would show my skin mercy.
My recent shaves with a Gem Micro Matic, and my Ever Ready "Shovelhead" have really helped me get a better appreciation for blade angle, because treating this W&B like a SE razor helped me get what turned out to be a very efficient, yet very comfortable WTG/ATG shave. About the only place I have any tenderness is on my neck where I got a little cocky and buffed the area to clean up.
I'm thinking the REAL test will be if I use one of my mentholated sets with it next.

Interesting razor!! Thanks for posting your experience.

And on a side note, a local jeweler (bit of a condescending snob IMO, but anyways...) was able to straighten out that bent tooth!

Wow. I actually bought one of these razors (not realizing modern blades dont fit) at an antique store years ago because I have several W&B straight razors and was intrigued by the brand having a DE. And I wanted to try an open comb. I have never used it because I didn't realize how easy it wold be to modify a modern blade to fit it.
Thank you for this post.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

I had found one of the Wade and Butcher "safety razors" and told a friend of it's availability. I'm happy you got one and are telling us more. :a14:

Congratulations on your Wade & Butcher DE find. I modify modern blades to use in mine as well.
They are a bit rare compared to other vintage razors, but let me know if you ever come across another like mine, I'd love to see pictures of it!
20181220_201653.jpg
20181220_201607.jpg

Congratulations on your Wade & Butcher DE find. I modify modern blades to use in mine as well.
They are a bit rare compared to other vintage razors, but let me know if you ever come across another like mine, I'd love to see pictures of it!
View attachment 936927 View attachment 936929
that's one sharp looking razor (no pun intended)! I haven't come across any that look like that in my searches, so I wonder if that was a homemade custom jobby.
I definitely like how clear the stamping is on your cap compared to mine. "Wade & Butcher" on mine looks like it wasn't pressed quite hard enough.

that's one sharp looking razor (no pun intended)! I haven't come across any that look like that in my searches, so I wonder if that was a homemade custom jobby.
I definitely like how clear the stamping is on your cap compared to mine. "Wade & Butcher" on mine looks like it wasn't pressed quite hard enough.
I thought it was a homemade job as well, but with the assistance of the wonderful members here on B&B, I have found a little information on it and a pore illustration, but no photos, leaving me with even more questions than answers. There's a possibility there were a couple other colors for handle.

@bigjeffb I just read that you can use a Gillette old type top plate with these razors so it works with modern DE blades without modification.
I have one of these W&B's but I don't have an old type Gillette to confirm.

In case anyone is wondering how a Durham DuBarry handle wound up on a W&B razor, it's because Durham Duplex acquired Wade and Butcher's parent company in 1921. Those heavy solid DuBarry handles make great after-market handles for many DE razors. I use one with a Stahly Live Razor head.

@bigjeffb I just read that you can use a Gillette old type top plate with these razors so it works with modern DE blades without modification.
You're quite right, an old type top cap does indeed work with the rest of a W&B razor.

You're quite right, an old type top cap does indeed work with the rest of a W&B razor.
Good to know. Is it a nice snug fit with no wobble?
Now I just need to find a good old type. Of course wife says I have to sell a razor before I another.

Good to know. Is it a nice snug fit with no wobble?
Now I just need to find a good old type. Of course wife says I have to sell a razor before I another.

The one I tried out fit so snugly that it seemed to be made for it.
I probably won't ever use it this way since I'm pretty good at modifying de blades to fit with the original top cap.

When I tried with the modified blade I most not have centered it quite right. It was mostly a good shave but I had several long light scratches on my neck. I think the edge of the blade was not quite right on the edge of the last tooth.

Top Bottom