What's new

My First Shave with an Open Comb

Just as the title says, first time using an open comb DE razor. Felt very different to the closed comb's i've been using. I don't think i could use an open comb daily though obviously YMMV. Anyone use an open comb daily?

Yes! Um, well, no. :D

I use an OC as my preferred razor almost every time I shave, but I do not shave daily.

My first OC experience was very good, and now I prefer OC with my thick stubble. Also, I like that the OC does not scrape away all the lather before the blade passes through.

There are a couple SB razors I still enjoy, but OC is for me.

Great job on your first OC shave. I ONLY use open comb razors and I shave every day of the week. My collection of OCs is at 8 right now to include mostly vintage Gillettes and a couple modern. I find that a straight bar gives me more irritation whereas fairly aggressive razor gives me a closer, more comfortable shaves so I seek out more aggressive options and the open combs (for the most part) fit the bill.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats on your first OC shave! :thumbup1: I tend to use open combs about 50% of the time. That said I would have no trouble using an OC daily, but that might depend on the particular razor being used. What type of open comb razor do you have?

Congrats on your first OC shave! [emoji106]1: I tend to use open combs about 50% of the time. That said I would have no trouble using an OC daily, but that might depend on the particular razor being used. What type of open comb razor do you have?
Looks like a fatip Grande. I use a schone almost daily and love it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’m probably 95% OC, just because the moderate aggressive razors I prefer happen to be OC. Still love my safety bars, they just take a little more work.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I shave every other day and really all I use and have used for quite a while are OC razors. Fatip Grande and a NEW SC.

I might use my Gillette Regent once a month or so, but its really just the Fatip for the last 4-5 weeks.

If I did shave everyday, I'd still use the Fatip and the NEW SC above all others I have, but I'd change the blade to a Derby Extra instead of a Polsilver.

OCs are my go-to razor, the Fatip Piccolo in particular. I could shave daily with OCs; the only reason I don’t is RAD.

OC are great razors, but as with any razor, it can take a few shaves to learn how best to use it, to learn the best angle. Once you've done that, it's like any other razor. :thumbup1:

To echo some of what others have already said - I shave daily. I have RAD and therefore switch between razors a lot. I probably use OC about 50% of the time. I could easily use almost any razor all the time. Once I get the technique / angle, they all shave the same.

I do like the look of OCs, too.

I shave every other day and pretty much use open combs exclusively. Every once in a blue moon I’ll take out a straight bar razor such as a vintage Tech or Merkur 34C HD. However, I think if I shaved every day I would use a straight bar more often.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Some OC razors are actually quite mild, and even some that aren’t so mild can start to seem so when you get used to them. I shave with a straight mostly but when I don’t use a straight I primarily use OC razors.

I shave daily and primarily use OC's. Currently that is a Fatip Piccolo and a RazoRock Old Type. I have another Fatip on order - one of the new wooden handled models. Occasionally I use one of my safety bar razors, generally my Feather AS-D1 or DE89. My son-in-law has my Progress and I'm thinking of selling my Merkur slant.

I shave every other day and like my Fatip Grande and Regent NEW LC . I think I could shave every day with them. I've never tried.

OC = aggressive is most untrue myth in the wetshaving world.

Hear, hear...:a50:

I shave everyday and the fact is that I can't recall when I used a SB for the last time... Maybe a couple of years?

As said above, as with any razor, it just takes a while to get used to an OC... I too saw them as "aggressive" and "dangerous"... but now my preferred ones are SRs and NEW DeLuxes...

i shave daily and sometimes use an OC for several days in a row (I rarely use the same razor more than 4 days in a row). FaTip Piccolo (as you can see by my signature line) is one of my regulars, but I like my Gillette NEWs and Parker 26C among others. The 26c is one of the mildest open comb razors in existence (to me).

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I use an R41 OC daily. Two passes, the first WRG, the second, ATG = a DFS for me. A little more work on my neck where my beard swirls = a BBS. I don't have a particularly heavy beard; I just want the best shave possible for the effort I invest. The R41 and a mug full of Cella do it for me without nicks, cuts, scratches or weepers (though the alum block sometimes zings).

Up until the past couple of months, I would have responded to that question as NO, are you Kidding? For the longest time, I just wasn't taking to the open combs. I'd tried a couple, the Parker, which I found very scratchy or rough, a Pearl head, same problem, not quite as bad, but really rough with lots of feedback from alum or aftershave. Bought a Schone, I'm hard-headed, I really wanted to master the OC for a super close 2 pass shave. The Schone was the easiest of the three, but ultimate I wasn't using it and sold it. After reading lots a great raves about the vintage New LC & SC razors, I found and won a 1930s Gillette New LC, which rewarded me with some a nice shave.

Are that time, Toothpick had his 'Worst Blade PIF', which I was lucky enough to get into, and I started playing with the assortment of blades and the New LC. Stumbled across a couple blades that wow, really smooth in the New LC. A buddy of mine also had a Schone, and lent it to me to compare, and I dropped the Indian Wilkinson Blade into that Schone and had a very nice shave. - Decided to use the Schone & LC a couple days a week, and really took to them, enough that I bid and won an inexpensive New SC. Once you find that sweet spot with the OCs, and learn that what you thought was light pressure, wasn't really light pressure, they become a joy to use. (I'd always gravitated to heavy razors, and many of the OCs are nowhere near the weight of my Rockwell or QShave, or even the FB).

Fast forward to OC October, which I originally planned to participate in part-time. Well, all but maybe two shaves in October were with OC Razors! (The weekend we were away, and my birthday using my birth year/quarter Slim, otherwise it was pretty much OC October for me). They've grown on me a lot and I don't hesitate to grab one of those three for whip out a 2-3 pass BBS shave. Will I use them exclusively, probably not, as I do have several others to add variety. - I like to pull out my Slim, Fat-Boy, SA, Rockwell, QShave (Futur clone), or Ikon X3 on occasion and give it a spin. - The RAD was been a little too strong this year, and I may start to part with some of them, but it's a tough call on which one(s), probably the couple of SEs, which I've never warmed up to will go, even the 1912, as I seem to get better shaves with the DEs than the SEs.

Top Bottom