What's new

My first shave with an English RFB

Well as some of you know I’ve been somewhat tied up with the Aristocrat Showdown Thread for quite some time now and haven’t shaved with any other razor since starting the thread. So while involved with that thread I finally found a made in England RFB and I got it for a nice price to boot. I figure I was either lucky or some bidders where asleep at the wheel as no one showed for the last few seconds of bidding like it’s has so many times when there’s a desirable razor up for auction. Anyway photos didn’t do it justice as when it arrived I was surprised at the condition of the razor and especially the head. Imedieately I knew I’d have to change the handle as the ball end handle it came with was way to light and to thin for me so I had a Maggards Bulldog handle laying around and put it on and Bingo! It felt great in hand. For me it had great balance and just felt perfect in hand so I couldn’t wait to try it out as there’s been so many good things written about the RFB.

Well I loaded the razor with a Kai blade as I’ve been using Polsilvers for what seems like a month so I wanted a sharp but smooth blade in the RFB for my first shave. We have a nice warm sunny day here and I wanted a nice clean light scent so I pulled out the Parma Inspiration soap and AS balm and the real ADP Cologne to finish things up. Took out my Thater Beehive Boar and Lathered up and began my shave.

Simce it was my 1st shave I decided to put it to the test using my short stroke skin stretch technique that I’ve missed using during the Aristocrat Showdown. So decided to do ATG and the XTG and that’s it. Touch ups if needed.

1st Pass - WTG - based on my experience with my NEW Deluxe Big Boy which is absolutely one of my favorite razors shave wise in my den I thought finding the angle shouldn’t be difficult and it wasn’t. Starting on my more difficult right side I started my journey north to south. I quickly noticed the decent amount of both blade feel and audible feedback I was getting and that’s not a bad thing in my book as I like a little of both. Shaved my face using my SSSST and I could feel it taking down my 3 day growth with little effort. No pressure was needed as I scooted down to my neck and my nasty cowlick and again it’ preformed great and was mowing away the hair. Went over to my easier left side and no different just easier and finished the pass. Rinsed and did a face feel and I thought wow nice and if I was just wanting a daily DFS I could have just stopped right there.
Very nice pass!

2nd Pass - XTG - I decided as my first pass was so nice I’d have a little fun on the XTG pass so as I move ear to nose with the continuous movement of the SSST I threw in some J Hooks here and there in the opposite direction. I did this only on my face and some problem areas on my neck. So I finished the pass and rinsed with some nice cold water, used my alum to see if there was any feedback which there wasn’t and rinsed again and did a wet face feel. Nice!
Went ahead and dried my face went to the fridge and used my cold Thayers unscented and let it dry down about 50% and put on some of the ADP Imatation AS and let it all dry down naturally. Cleaned up my mess, got dressed and sorayed on some ADP Cologne and felt great.
Ended up with a very nice BBS shave in 2 passes with just a slight touch up on my cowlick to make it complete!

Funny story so I went to a little Italian deli I go to frequently for lunch that makes amazing subs and one of the girls behind the counter says our loud “ who smells really good “ and the woman behind me in line says it’s him pointing to me. Others joined in with their nice comments about how nice and clean the smells and of course asking what are you wearing and were did you get it?

So overall a great shave and a great overall shave experience today.
I now feel like I must do a shave off between my New Deluxe Big Boy and this RFB and I’d really like to do another Showdown Shave Off of all the 3 peice OC razors including both modern and vintage just to see who comes out on top.

Sorry gentlemen for the lengthy review but it was one of those great shave days!

DB9DBA70-0254-4908-A4C8-63BB8F3684B5.jpeg
4FF83309-A38B-424A-9509-EE9FF3023D35.jpeg
F0E98F83-22A2-4AD6-A307-B4D8740C68C1.jpeg
ECEBBC30-8902-46C0-8A8A-8D6A309FF9E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Excellent review Mr.Beard. As you and I seem to enjoy the same type of razors, it will be interesting to hear your continued thoughts as you get a few more miles behind the wheel. Thanks for taking the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Excellent review Mr.Beard. As you and I seem to enjoy the same type of razors, it will be interesting to hear your continued thoughts as you get a few more miles behind the wheel. Thanks for taking the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
LOL! Mr Beard :lol:
James my friend I'll keep this updated but I have a feeling after todays shave I've got this beauty dialed in and I can see if I hand done an ATG pass today I could have got a level 2 BBS out of this razor as It was a very solid level 1 with only 2 passes and a slight touch up here and there. I can't wait to see how it compares to the NEW Deluxe Big Boy and I also just got a Long Comb which I have no idea how it shaves but I found a really minty one for a very good price so gotta try that next shave. :thumbsup:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Great review. I have the same RFB (#44), and will try it with my Bulldog handle. The hollow ball-end handle is cool, but my shave with it was a tad underwhelming.

Great review. I have the same RFB (#44), and will try it with my Bulldog handle. The hollow ball-end handle is cool, but my shave with it was a tad underwhelming.
I think the extra weight of the handle will help. I also think the Kai blade made a difference as well as using the SSST.
Like to know how your next shave goes. :a17:

Frank

I've shaved with a number 77 model RFB three times. To be fair, I've not been using a new blade. While I am delighted to have it, it does not provide the same shave as either the Goodwill or Barbasol FH.

I've shaved with a number 77 model RFB three times. To be fair, I've not been using a new blade. While I am delighted to have it, it does not provide the same shave as either the Goodwill or Barbasol FH.

I’m not sure if we’ve discussed this in another thread or not but I had a mint Goodwill and for me it was not as efficient as this RFB and definitely not as smooth or efficient as my NEW Deluxe Big Boy. I feel like I’ll have to borrow one from a friend/member and give it another try and do a comparison shave off.
An try a new blade. Maybe try a Ka or a Polsilver which would be a bit milder.
Thanks for the feedback!
:thumbup1:

Another great review to start my RAD for vintage razors, I've got to quit reading your reviews or all my free time will be searching for all these great razors

Top Bottom