What's new

My first shave with a Razorine

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Heat shrink tubing for the handle should help immensely. These types of handles are meant to be wrapped with leather like a kamisori. Otherwise they are exceptionally bad design.

Ooh, that's an interesting idea. I'll certainly consider that amongst the options.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If you'll give it a try, use one long tube to cover the handle, and over that 3 smaller tube rings spaced out from each other.

That makes sense. I might actually try a leather wrap first, as I have some thin leather that might do the trick, at least as a test run.

That makes sense. I might actually try a leather wrap first, as I have some thin leather that might do the trick, at least as a test run.

Even better + fancy. String works too.

proxy.php

(not my photo)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks! The bulge where the wrap crosses kind of works like a choil, so it seems like it should be quite secure grip now.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I decided to go back to the sink, and chase those areas that didn't clean up first time. HUGE improvement to the handling with this leather wrap. Thanks @Nautilus for that idea, it's made a big difference.

This is NOT a razor I'll be using every day until I get better with it though. There is definite potential for going a little too close. The area I just shaved is one that always gives me issue with straights (right hand side neck crease), because however I approach it, the inline handle is in the way. I did manage it with this, in a way that I probably wouldn't attempt with a straight, but had to reach for the balm immediately after. It certainly got smooth, but I think I might skip shaving tomorrow ;)

I know this razor doesn’t receive a lot of chatter on here anymore since there seemed to have been some QC issues and blade alignment concerns. I came across this tonight while surfing for shave related info. Looks like there’s a “premium” version now with some changes to the head and to the handle. Geo at Shave nation posted a video back in the spring. (I have no affiliation with Razorine or Shave Nation.)

I got a classic brass Razorine a week ago from Shave Nation. Personally I preferred the look of the classic to the bigger knurled ones, and I’m happy to say I have had no grip issues with it.

I did have all the same alignment issues, to the extent I almost sent it back. It really does take some fiddling to get an even blade exposure. I’m using my preferred Personna blades in it.

I will say though, that once I did get the blade in properly, I’ve had absolutely fantastic shaves with it. Fantastic to the point of near obsession.

I still have some trouble spots with it, that I am sure will work themselves out over time. It will definitely get you the way any shavette would if you’re not paying attention.

The main thing I love about it is how easy it is to continuously vary the aggression just with minor changes to the blade angle. It feels easier to do with this than it would be with a safety razor handle at a right angle to the blade. Simply amazing.

I can’t wait to use it again, and to get better at using it.

Gave myself a good cut last time I used the Razorine. I just can't get a handle (no pun intended) on controlling it. Discovered that the threads match just about any handle and I'm considering cutting off the handle then smoothing the edge to match the other side. Here's a pic of my custom electro-etched Razorine.
Razorine Scorpion.JPG

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The main thing I love about it is how easy it is to continuously vary the aggression just with minor changes to the blade angle. It feels easier to do with this than it would be with a safety razor handle at a right angle to the blade. Simply amazing.

I'm completely the opposite. After shaving with double edge for nearly 30 years, my automatic responses to the shave not quite feeling right are all wrong for this razor. I enjoy it as a fun occasional challenge, and used it again today, but I find it far from intuitive.

Gave myself a good cut last time I used the Razorine. I just can't get a handle (no pun intended) on controlling it.

Glad to know I'm not alone. I'll not be shifting the handle round to the normal position though. That would defeat the point of me owning it. I consider my Dovo shavette as a convenient (lazy on the maintenance) straight, and consider the Razorine a practice version. Yes, it can be a bit bitey, but still not as bitey as an open razor.

Top Bottom