What's new

My first shave with a DE in years!

I used a SuperSpeed from BroJohn today to shave with a DE for the first time in who knows how long. Thanks, John.

Two passes, not my best shave ever, but certainly passable. Even better, no blood! :biggrin: I’m pretty happy with this result. Now I need to proceed with caution and not get too rambunctious too fast.

It’s clear my chin and the corners of my mouth will be, ..er, “challenges”. :07:

Details: SuperSpeed with a Derby blade
AOS unscented cream
C & E best badger brush
Finished with alum block and Thayers witch hazel (unscented, no alcohol), then Proraso ASB.

A question: I generally build the lather on my face, then let it sit for a minute to help hydrate/prop up the whiskers. I think I began using this waiting period when using canned stuff or tubes of stuff not meant to be used with a brush. Now that I’m using better lather does this pause do any good or am I just letting the lather dehydrate and get cold? Thanks in advance for your helpful responses.

It’s clear my chin and the corners of my mouth will be, ..er, “challenges”. :07:

I think these two areas and the neck are problems for a lot of guys. Practice and remember the GAP (grain, angle, pressure).

A question: I generally build the lather on my face, then let it sit for a minute to help hydrate/prop up the whiskers. I think I began using this waiting period when using canned stuff or tubes of stuff not meant to be used with a brush. Now that I’m using better lather does this pause do any good or am I just letting the lather dehydrate and get cold? Thanks in advance for your helpful responses.

If you do this, try rubbing off the lather with a hot towel after you let it soak and then relather and start shaving. I don't do this a lot because of time constraints (i.e. I hate mornings), but when I do it, the shave seems to go a bit smoother.

This does a lot of good. IMO, your lather is the best pre-shave product on the market.

If you want to kick it up a notch, try the following:
  1. Apply Lather.
  2. Massage lather into face for a minute or two using the fingers.
  3. With lather still on face, hold a hot, moist towel on your face for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Wipe lather off.
  5. Apply fresh lather and begin shave.

Ed --

Good show. Just follow the accepted practices you've learned here, and all will be fine. Good show on the inaugural shave!

The guys above responding to this thread are wise. Not everyone takes the time to use a hot towel over lather as a preshave (I usually don't) but as Kyle indicated, it is really ideal.

-- John Gehman

Without going into the hot towel method, I find I get slightly better shaves if I use a shaving stick and build the lather on my beard. Rubbing the soap into the stubble helps, I think, and then the process of building the lather (starting with a damp brush and gradually adding water as the lather builds by dipping the brush tip into hot water) takes enough time---and brushes the lather into the beard enough---that the stubble is nicely softened by the time I'm ready to reach for the razor.

Without going into the hot towel method, I find I get slightly better shaves if I use a shaving stick and build the lather on my beard. Rubbing the soap into the stubble helps, I think, and then the process of building the lather (starting with a damp brush and gradually adding water as the lather builds by dipping the brush tip into hot water) takes enough time---and brushes the lather into the beard enough---that the stubble is nicely softened by the time I'm ready to reach for the razor.

I agree with leisureguy for this method. It works the beard very well but just to remove all the dirt from my beard I like to rinse with hot water and relather. However, the best shaves are Kyle's hot towel method. So it depends on how much you are willing to invest in the way of time...

I have recently switched to lathering on the face and find that I seem to get better results and less of a mess.

I also switched back to DE shaving after about a 30 year layoff :biggrin:

It's nice to be back.

My thanks to those who responded to my post. I figure it’s time for an update.

Two more shaves with a DE and Derby blade. I started this adventure with some preexisting irritation and a crop of ingrowns and bumps. After three DE shaves I have increased irritation that I fear must be attributed in part to my technique (though I mostly blame some less than brilliant moves last week with a Sensor :frown: ).

I plan to give my face a rest today. I’ll resume using the superspeed tomorrow. Since the sampler pack from LetterK arrived yesterday, I’ll use a Merkur blade and proceed along the generally recommended sequence. The Derby’s might be a little too much for me right now.

I really need to watch, as Smedley put it, the “GAP”. When I get a little more comfortable wielding a DE I’m going to try a first pass on my neck that’s a combination of W-E and E-W strokes, with some other directions in particular spots, instead of starting N-S. As BroJohn mentioned in another thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=203366&postcount=6 , it’s possible to have a cowlick on one’s neck :mad: . That hardly seems fair.

BTW, to help soften my whiskers I’ve been holding a hot, wet washcloth to my beard area for a minute or so before lathering. I’m intrigued by Kyle’s technique, but hope – for time constraints – that I don’t have to resort to it on a daily basis. It sounds luxurious.

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement.

...I’m intrigued by Kyle’s technique, but hope – for time constraints – that I don’t have to resort to it on a daily basis. It sounds luxurious...

During the early stages of my transition, I would not have been willing to spend the time on prep that I now find to be a personal necessity. It does require 7-10 more minutes in the routine, but I think I'm worth the extra time. :wink:

Top Bottom