What's new

My First SE

Looking to get my first single edge. I have very sensitive skin and prefer mild razors, my DE of choice is the Feather AS-D2. I've been leaning towards the The General, but that's mostly due to the looks and stainless steel. Is there another modern SE that is milder, while still being efficient?

I use the SS General and would be the SE I would recommend but you would be wise to also look at the SE1 from Above The Tie. 3 times the price but it gets great reviews and the quality is very good as well...

Looking to get my first single edge. I have very sensitive skin and prefer mild razors, my DE of choice is the Feather AS-D2. I've been leaning towards the The General, but that's mostly due to the looks and stainless steel. Is there another modern SE that is milder, while still being efficient?

eBarbershop type O clone is reportedly mild yet very efficient with Japanese TWIN blades. It is a clone of the Schick Type O injector razor, and is apparently quite well done. I prefer milder razors as well and my skin is somewhat sensitive. I love my vintage injector razors. They are quite inexpensive and shave well. The J-1 I have is fantastic, as is my Type M adjustable. I’ve only used the J-1 with the Chinese Schick blades. The type M with the TWIN blades is a revelation for me in closeness of shave with little to no irritation. There also is the supply single edge (it takes injector blades) but it is more expensive and won’t take the TWIN blades. It isn’t as nimble as the other injectors but can give a good shave. I believe I will prefer my other injectors, but have to verify with a few more shaves on it.

I have the stainless steel general and will be returning to it over the next few weeks to compare it to my injectors. When I used it (the first week or so of the new year) I enjoyed it but found it more aggressive than I would have liked. I had to take care not to nick myself or get weepers. Not difficult, just took more concentration and focus on pressure (or lack thereof). I will also be comparing the General to my RazoRock Hawk V2 which I really enjoy. It is lighter so using no pressure I find easy with it.

You can’t really go wrong with any of the razors I mentioned above. The SS General is difficult to obtain right now due to limited quantities sold. The RR Hawk V2 (in black) and eBarbershop clone are available right now for about $30 each or so. If I had to pick only one of these SE razors to keep, it’d be the Schick Type M or J-1. I don’t have the type O clone so that might be able to challenge these. I just have no basis for comparison.

So it all comes down to which platform you’d prefer: injector or artist club. I find the injector blades more forgiving and just as sharp as the AC blades. There are also GEM blades (totally different platform) but there is only one modern produced version with mixed reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eBarbershop type O clone is reportedly mild yet very efficient with Japanese TWIN blades. It is a clone of the Schick Type O injector razor, and is apparently quite well done. I prefer milder razors as well and my skin is somewhat sensitive. I love my vintage injector razors. They are quite inexpensive and shave well. The J-1 I have is fantastic, as is my Type M adjustable. I’ve only used the J-1 with the Chinese Schick blades. The type M with the TWIN blades is a revelation for me in closeness of shave with little to no irritation. There also is the supply single edge (it takes injector blades) but it is more expensive and won’t take the TWIN blades. It isn’t as nimble as the other injectors but can give a good shave. I believe I will prefer my other injectors, but have to verify with a few more shaves on it.

I have the stainless steel general and will be returning to it over the next few weeks to compare it to my injectors. When I used it (the first week or so of the new year) I enjoyed it but found it more aggressive than I would have liked. I had to take care not to nick myself or get weepers. Not difficult, just took more concentration and focus on pressure (or lack thereof). I will also be comparing the General to my RazoRock Hawk V2 which I really enjoy. It is lighter so using no pressure I find easy with it.

You can’t really go wrong with any of the razors I mentioned above. The SS General is difficult to obtain right now due to limited quantities sold. The RR Hawk V2 (in black) and eBarbershop clone are available right now for about $30 each or so. If I had to pick only one of these SE razors to keep, it’d be the Schick Type M or J-1. I don’t have the type O clone so that might be able to challenge these. I just have no basis for comparison.

So it all comes down to which platform you’d prefer: injector or artist club. I find the injector blades more forgiving and just as sharp as the AC blades. There are also GEM blades (totally different platform) but there is only one modern produced version with mixed reviews.

+1 A well-written summary with which I agree.

I apologize for any confusion I caused with my statement on the GEM razors: there is only one INEXPENSIVE modern version with mixed reviews. There are a few others but those will set you back over $160 USD.

Just when I thought I had defeated SBAD. I see I'll have to do my homework, thank you for the much needed breakdown.

I apologize for any confusion I caused with my statement on the GEM razors: there is only one INEXPENSIVE modern version with mixed reviews. There are a few others but those will set you back over $160 USD.

Have you tried the Supply?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Good job of it, Joel.

I have the SE1, and the SS General, and the ebarbershop Type O clone, and the Schick Type M. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these, but the prices are far from the same. All are reasonably efficient. None are aggressive. All are fine with my sensitive skin.

I use Prolines and the Schick TWIN injector blades.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Have you tried the Supply?

The supply single edge is an injector style, not a GEM (confusing that they don’t call it the supply injector). I was referring to the PAA Starling as the inexpensive modern GEM style razor, with somewhat mixed reviews. I have the supply and find it ok. It gave me decent shaves (haven’t used it in awhile) but felt less nimble than my other injectors. It is hefty and quite sturdy, my version is a bit slippery due to the polished chrome finish. That is easily solved though by rubbing my fingers briefly on an alum block.

Good job of it, Joel.

I have the SE1, and the SS General, and the ebarbershop Type O clone, and the Schick Type M. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these, but the prices are far from the same. All are reasonably efficient. None are aggressive. All are fine with my sensitive skin.

I use Prolines and the Schick TWIN injector blades.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Just in terms of construction, the general looks like it might be worth the premium over the type o clone, but I have a hard time believing the ATT is worth twice as much as The General. The only way it would be worth a lot more is if the quality of the shave were a lot higher, but it seems as though from most reviews I've read this isn't the case. For the price of the ATT I could get a general and maybe a vintage or type O clone.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just in terms of construction, the general looks like it might be worth the premium over the type o clone, but I have a hard time believing the ATT is worth twice as much as The General. The only way it would be worth a lot more is if the quality of the shave were a lot higher, but it seems as though from most reviews I've read this isn't the case. For the price of the ATT I could get a general and maybe a vintage or type O clone.

I'm not saying you're badmouthing the Type O clone, but I want to be clear.

The ebarbershop Type O clone is extremely well made. It is not crummy, or cheap looking, or flimsy, or anything of that sort. Yes, it is not 100% SS, but you'll see right away that doesn't matter at all.

The SS General is a bargain.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have the Brass General, SS General and ATT SE1. I’ve gone back and forth between them with a few different blades. I currently lean towards my Generals as just as efficient but slightly more forgiving.

Also considering the Blackland Sabre, anyone have any experience with those?

I do not have experience with that razor, but do with the GEM platform. I think the shaves those blades give are quite close, I don’t find them as smooth as my injectors or as easy to use. My GEM Junior is a really nice shaver, I just don’t find it as good as my other razors. The GEM blades also don’t last as long for me as my other SE blades. 4-6 (6 is the limit) shaves versus easily 7-10 on a Chick injector or Schick Proline AC blade.

You know I'm starting to see why The General is sold out... looks like I will have to try and get it on the next release.

If you're willing to try a vintage razor, you couldn't do better than a GEM/Ever-Ready 1924 Shovel Head, with a GEM PTFE SS blade. My ER 1924 is the best SE razor I have used so far.

With you coming from a Feather AS-D2, my recommendation would be either the Supply Provision (3 plate option) with a Schick blade, or a Razorock Hawk v2 with a Schick Proline blade. Both the Supply Provision with the mildest 1 dot plate & the Hawk will be as smooth, if not smoother than your Feather, but more efficient.

Here are my views on all the current SE razors I have tried, ranked in order, with #1 being my favourite.

1) Stainless Steel General / Schick Proline

A heavy razor, but it is well balanced with the stock handle & just feels “right”. Smoother & more efficient than the ATT SE1. Care must be taken not to apply pressure, as it is so smooth in use, but you would have to try very hard to cut yourself.

2) Razorock Hawk v2 / Feather Pro Super

Light, very nimble & smooth, like a vintage injector. Works well with a Schick Proline blade, but even better with a Feather Pro Super. Very controllable in use & it is the razor I use when in a hurry. One single ATG pass will leave me with as close a shave as 3 passes with my AS-D2.

3) Ikon Shavecraft MR-SE / Schick Proline

Although head of the MR-SE is a lot less deep than the Hawk (i.e. there is less metal) & although it is supposedly also made from aluminium, it is a fair bit heavier than the Hawk. However, despite the extra weight, it still feels very nimble & it is well balanced with the Ikon 85mm Bulldog handle. I have used a Feather Pro in the MR-SE & the shave was not that smooth. I also, very briefly, tried a Feather Pro Super & the shave was pretty harsh, with too much blade feel for my taste.

4) Supply Provision / Schick

I use this with the most aggressive 3 dot plate & although it is heavy & quite long, it still feels well balanced. I prefer the extra weight compared to vintage injectors, as I can just let the weight of the razor apply just the right amount of pressure. The only reason I don’t use the Supply as much as some of my other SE razors is that the shave is just a bit too easy, as if I’m not really involved in the shaving process.

5) Mongoose B3 / Feather Pro Super

A VERY heavy razor with the stock “Dr Bomber” handle. As the Mongoose has a flat, angled end cap, there is a very limited cutting angle, though the angle is easy to find & retain. It doesn’t shave as close as the razors in my top 3, but it still beats most DE razors I have used. I also have a Mongoose B2, which I prefer, as it is just a bit more aggressive & close shaving. I must revisit my Mongooses (Mongeese?) with a Schick Proline installed.

6) ATT SE1 / Feather Pro

I know people give rave reviews about the SE1, but it just doesn’t do much for me. It is not my smoothest, nor my closest shaving SE. It is just adequate. I have used it with the Atlas, Kronos & Bamboo handles & I think the balance is best with the bamboo handle. I will revisit the SE1 with a Proline blade, but I think maybe it is the head geometry that I don’t get on with.

7) Blackland Sabre L2 / GEM PTFE

This is a recent acquisition & it still a work in progress. I find the Sabre to be nicely balanced & very smooth in use, but the shave is not that close & a few hairs are often missed after 3 passes. If I was to compare the shave of the Sabre with a vintage GEM blade razor, I would say it is most like a GEM “G-bar”. My favourite vintage GEM blade razor, the Eveready Streamline, is just as smooth as the Sabre, but shaves closer.

8) ATT SE2 / Feather Pro

I have only shaved twice with the SE2, so I have not had enough shaving time with it to form an opinion. My first impression is that I prefer it to the ATT SE1. The shaving angle seems to be different, in a positive way. This is another razor that I will try with a Proline blade & I can see this razor rapidly climbing up my rankings.

9) Asylum RX / Feather Pro & Kai Mild

This is an enigma. Occasionally I get a close, comfortable shave with the RX, but most of the time I get a rough, tuggy shave, that is not very close. I will revisit the RX with a Proline, but I am not optimistic that even this would turn it into a usable tool. I think the problem is that I am a daily shaver & that the RX would probably work better for someone who shaves every 3 days or so.

With you coming from a Feather AS-D2, my recommendation would be either the Supply Provision (3 plate option) with a Schick blade, or a Razorock Hawk v2 with a Schick Proline blade. Both the Supply Provision with the mildest 1 dot plate & the Hawk will be as smooth, if not smoother than your Feather, but more efficient.

Here are my views on all the current SE razors I have tried, ranked in order, with #1 being my favourite.

1) Stainless Steel General / Schick Proline

A heavy razor, but it is well balanced with the stock handle & just feels “right”. Smoother & more efficient than the ATT SE1. Care must be taken not to apply pressure, as it is so smooth in use, but you would have to try very hard to cut yourself.

2) Razorock Hawk v2 / Feather Pro Super

Light, very nimble & smooth, like a vintage injector. Works well with a Schick Proline blade, but even better with a Feather Pro Super. Very controllable in use & it is the razor I use when in a hurry. One single ATG pass will leave me with as close a shave as 3 passes with my AS-D2.

3) Ikon Shavecraft MR-SE / Schick Proline

Although head of the MR-SE is a lot less deep than the Hawk (i.e. there is less metal) & although it is supposedly also made from aluminium, it is a fair bit heavier than the Hawk. However, despite the extra weight, it still feels very nimble & it is well balanced with the Ikon 85mm Bulldog handle. I have used a Feather Pro in the MR-SE & the shave was not that smooth. I also, very briefly, tried a Feather Pro Super & the shave was pretty harsh, with too much blade feel for my taste.

4) Supply Provision / Schick

I use this with the most aggressive 3 dot plate & although it is heavy & quite long, it still feels well balanced. I prefer the extra weight compared to vintage injectors, as I can just let the weight of the razor apply just the right amount of pressure. The only reason I don’t use the Supply as much as some of my other SE razors is that the shave is just a bit too easy, as if I’m not really involved in the shaving process.

5) Mongoose B3 / Feather Pro Super

A VERY heavy razor with the stock “Dr Bomber” handle. As the Mongoose has a flat, angled end cap, there is a very limited cutting angle, though the angle is easy to find & retain. It doesn’t shave as close as the razors in my top 3, but it still beats most DE razors I have used. I also have a Mongoose B2, which I prefer, as it is just a bit more aggressive & close shaving. I must revisit my Mongooses (Mongeese?) with a Schick Proline installed.

6) ATT SE1 / Feather Pro

I know people give rave reviews about the SE1, but it just doesn’t do much for me. It is not my smoothest, nor my closest shaving SE. It is just adequate. I have used it with the Atlas, Kronos & Bamboo handles & I think the balance is best with the bamboo handle. I will revisit the SE1 with a Proline blade, but I think maybe it is the head geometry that I don’t get on with.

7) Blackland Sabre L2 / GEM PTFE

This is a recent acquisition & it still a work in progress. I find the Sabre to be nicely balanced & very smooth in use, but the shave is not that close & a few hairs are often missed after 3 passes. If I was to compare the shave of the Sabre with a vintage GEM blade razor, I would say it is most like a GEM “G-bar”. My favourite vintage GEM blade razor, the Eveready Streamline, is just as smooth as the Sabre, but shaves closer.

8) ATT SE2 / Feather Pro

I have only shaved twice with the SE2, so I have not had enough shaving time with it to form an opinion. My first impression is that I prefer it to the ATT SE1. The shaving angle seems to be different, in a positive way. This is another razor that I will try with a Proline blade & I can see this razor rapidly climbing up my rankings.

9) Asylum RX / Feather Pro & Kai Mild

This is an enigma. Occasionally I get a close, comfortable shave with the RX, but most of the time I get a rough, tuggy shave, that is not very close. I will revisit the RX with a Proline, but I am not optimistic that even this would turn it into a usable tool. I think the problem is that I am a daily shaver & that the RX would probably work better for someone who shaves every 3 days or so.

Thanks for all the good info. I'm sold on the SS General when it comes back in stock. I'm considering a ebarbershop O clone as far as injectors but don't want to chase down/pay for the Japanese TWINs. Only considering that over the Supply due to the price as ive heard they both work well.

Also trying to decide on a vintage GEM razor. I'm between the GEM Damaskeene and the Ever Ready 1912, any experience with these?

EDIT: the Razorock Hawk V2 has likely replaced the ebarbershop O clone as a back up choice if I can't get the General.

Last edited:
Oh and one more question; any experience with Kai pinks? Just ordered the Hawk v2 and a pack of Feather pros and a pack of kai milds

Top Bottom