What's new

My First SE

Also trying to decide on a vintage GEM razor. I'm between the GEM Damaskeene and the Ever Ready 1912, any experience with these?

Both are great razors, dirt cheap if you're patient, and fairly indestructible unless you step on one. There isn't much difference between the GEM 1912 Damaskeene and the Ever Ready 1912. The Damaskeene has a more curved cap. A search will lead you to loads of information about the various 1912s. Make sure the blade stops are intact; some of these things are over 100 years old and the early stops were small to begin with.

I shaved with a GEM 1924 today - bbs with ease on a week-old blade. Other GEM/ER options are the 1914 Little Lather Catcher, the various Micromatic TTOs, the G-Bar Heavy Flat Top, the Featherweight, and the Pushbutton.

Vintage SEs are plentiful and cheap, including most Schick injectors. If you want to try a good middle-of-the-road Schick, look for a Type I (that's i, not a 1); the Type I Hydro-Magic opens up for rinsing.

Oh and one more question; any experience with Kai pinks? Just ordered the Hawk v2 and a pack of Feather pros and a pack of kai milds

I think used both in my Black Hawk V2. I liked them both but preferred the kai captain titan mild, which I think are the pinks. The Feather Pro has less blade feel (none really) but were not as sharp as the Kais. I didn’t use either of them quite enough to get to a point where I could pick a favorite.

The Hawk is a great razor. Easier to use than the SS General for me because of the weight difference, just be careful with pressure. Easy to apply too much pressure because it is a lighter razor. Can’t go wrong with either razor though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With you coming from a Feather AS-D2, my recommendation would be either the Supply Provision (3 plate option) with a Schick blade, or a Razorock Hawk v2 with a Schick Proline blade. Both the Supply Provision with the mildest 1 dot plate & the Hawk will be as smooth, if not smoother than your Feather, but more efficient.

Here are my views on all the current SE razors I have tried, ranked in order, with #1 being my favourite.

1) Stainless Steel General / Schick Proline

A heavy razor, but it is well balanced with the stock handle & just feels “right”. Smoother & more efficient than the ATT SE1. Care must be taken not to apply pressure, as it is so smooth in use, but you would have to try very hard to cut yourself.

2) Razorock Hawk v2 / Feather Pro Super

Light, very nimble & smooth, like a vintage injector. Works well with a Schick Proline blade, but even better with a Feather Pro Super. Very controllable in use & it is the razor I use when in a hurry. One single ATG pass will leave me with as close a shave as 3 passes with my AS-D2.

3) Ikon Shavecraft MR-SE / Schick Proline

Although head of the MR-SE is a lot less deep than the Hawk (i.e. there is less metal) & although it is supposedly also made from aluminium, it is a fair bit heavier than the Hawk. However, despite the extra weight, it still feels very nimble & it is well balanced with the Ikon 85mm Bulldog handle. I have used a Feather Pro in the MR-SE & the shave was not that smooth. I also, very briefly, tried a Feather Pro Super & the shave was pretty harsh, with too much blade feel for my taste.

4) Supply Provision / Schick

I use this with the most aggressive 3 dot plate & although it is heavy & quite long, it still feels well balanced. I prefer the extra weight compared to vintage injectors, as I can just let the weight of the razor apply just the right amount of pressure. The only reason I don’t use the Supply as much as some of my other SE razors is that the shave is just a bit too easy, as if I’m not really involved in the shaving process.

5) Mongoose B3 / Feather Pro Super

A VERY heavy razor with the stock “Dr Bomber” handle. As the Mongoose has a flat, angled end cap, there is a very limited cutting angle, though the angle is easy to find & retain. It doesn’t shave as close as the razors in my top 3, but it still beats most DE razors I have used. I also have a Mongoose B2, which I prefer, as it is just a bit more aggressive & close shaving. I must revisit my Mongooses (Mongeese?) with a Schick Proline installed.

6) ATT SE1 / Feather Pro

I know people give rave reviews about the SE1, but it just doesn’t do much for me. It is not my smoothest, nor my closest shaving SE. It is just adequate. I have used it with the Atlas, Kronos & Bamboo handles & I think the balance is best with the bamboo handle. I will revisit the SE1 with a Proline blade, but I think maybe it is the head geometry that I don’t get on with.

7) Blackland Sabre L2 / GEM PTFE

This is a recent acquisition & it still a work in progress. I find the Sabre to be nicely balanced & very smooth in use, but the shave is not that close & a few hairs are often missed after 3 passes. If I was to compare the shave of the Sabre with a vintage GEM blade razor, I would say it is most like a GEM “G-bar”. My favourite vintage GEM blade razor, the Eveready Streamline, is just as smooth as the Sabre, but shaves closer.

8) ATT SE2 / Feather Pro

I have only shaved twice with the SE2, so I have not had enough shaving time with it to form an opinion. My first impression is that I prefer it to the ATT SE1. The shaving angle seems to be different, in a positive way. This is another razor that I will try with a Proline blade & I can see this razor rapidly climbing up my rankings.

9) Asylum RX / Feather Pro & Kai Mild

This is an enigma. Occasionally I get a close, comfortable shave with the RX, but most of the time I get a rough, tuggy shave, that is not very close. I will revisit the RX with a Proline, but I am not optimistic that even this would turn it into a usable tool. I think the problem is that I am a daily shaver & that the RX would probably work better for someone who shaves every 3 days or so.

Really nice, comprehensive overview of the razors. Well done!

Really nice, comprehensive overview of the razors. Well done!

I know right? He deserves commission for the black Hawk I just bought. Will be getting the general as well (if I can).

Hope I made the right choice between the ebarbershop o clone and the RR black hawk v2. Cheap enough that I should probably get both and sell whichever I don't like.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I know right? He deserves commission for the black Hawk I just bought. Will be getting the general as well (if I can).

Hope I made the right choice between the ebarbershop o clone and the RR black hawk v2. Cheap enough that I should probably get both and sell whichever I don't like.

If I remember right you got the Hawk. I don't know that razor (no experience with it). I hope it is working great for you.

The ebarbershop Type O clone is a fine razor coupled with the TWIN blades in case you're still interested in it.

upload_2018-1-26_13-52-14.png

The TWIN blades are a hassle to order from the Japan-based vendors, but easy to order on ebay. I just checked to make sure they're available. Expensive? Yes, initially. Over time, inexpensive as they last a very long time. They shave very well - smooth and efficient, comfortable and close - by any standard.

I use the TWIN blade in the Type O clone, and in the Schick Type M injector, and in the Schick Type L3 Grip injector. Fine blades, very fine blades.

Just information. There are a lot of good razors. (Some bad razors, too, and plenty in the middle.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

I tried a Kai Mild Pink blade once; didn't even make it through a single pass. I hated it! Tuggy and dull for me.

The Schick Proline is much better.

With you coming from a Feather AS-D2, my recommendation would be either the Supply Provision (3 plate option) with a Schick blade, or a Razorock Hawk v2 with a Schick Proline blade. Both the Supply Provision with the mildest 1 dot plate & the Hawk will be as smooth, if not smoother than your Feather, but more efficient.

Here are my views on all the current SE razors I have tried, ranked in order, with #1 being my favourite.

1) Stainless Steel General / Schick Proline

A heavy razor, but it is well balanced with the stock handle & just feels “right”. Smoother & more efficient than the ATT SE1. Care must be taken not to apply pressure, as it is so smooth in use, but you would have to try very hard to cut yourself.

2) Razorock Hawk v2 / Feather Pro Super

Light, very nimble & smooth, like a vintage injector. Works well with a Schick Proline blade, but even better with a Feather Pro Super. Very controllable in use & it is the razor I use when in a hurry. One single ATG pass will leave me with as close a shave as 3 passes with my AS-D2.

3) Ikon Shavecraft MR-SE / Schick Proline

Although head of the MR-SE is a lot less deep than the Hawk (i.e. there is less metal) & although it is supposedly also made from aluminium, it is a fair bit heavier than the Hawk. However, despite the extra weight, it still feels very nimble & it is well balanced with the Ikon 85mm Bulldog handle. I have used a Feather Pro in the MR-SE & the shave was not that smooth. I also, very briefly, tried a Feather Pro Super & the shave was pretty harsh, with too much blade feel for my taste.

4) Supply Provision / Schick

I use this with the most aggressive 3 dot plate & although it is heavy & quite long, it still feels well balanced. I prefer the extra weight compared to vintage injectors, as I can just let the weight of the razor apply just the right amount of pressure. The only reason I don’t use the Supply as much as some of my other SE razors is that the shave is just a bit too easy, as if I’m not really involved in the shaving process.

5) Mongoose B3 / Feather Pro Super

A VERY heavy razor with the stock “Dr Bomber” handle. As the Mongoose has a flat, angled end cap, there is a very limited cutting angle, though the angle is easy to find & retain. It doesn’t shave as close as the razors in my top 3, but it still beats most DE razors I have used. I also have a Mongoose B2, which I prefer, as it is just a bit more aggressive & close shaving. I must revisit my Mongooses (Mongeese?) with a Schick Proline installed.

6) ATT SE1 / Feather Pro

I know people give rave reviews about the SE1, but it just doesn’t do much for me. It is not my smoothest, nor my closest shaving SE. It is just adequate. I have used it with the Atlas, Kronos & Bamboo handles & I think the balance is best with the bamboo handle. I will revisit the SE1 with a Proline blade, but I think maybe it is the head geometry that I don’t get on with.

7) Blackland Sabre L2 / GEM PTFE

This is a recent acquisition & it still a work in progress. I find the Sabre to be nicely balanced & very smooth in use, but the shave is not that close & a few hairs are often missed after 3 passes. If I was to compare the shave of the Sabre with a vintage GEM blade razor, I would say it is most like a GEM “G-bar”. My favourite vintage GEM blade razor, the Eveready Streamline, is just as smooth as the Sabre, but shaves closer.

8) ATT SE2 / Feather Pro

I have only shaved twice with the SE2, so I have not had enough shaving time with it to form an opinion. My first impression is that I prefer it to the ATT SE1. The shaving angle seems to be different, in a positive way. This is another razor that I will try with a Proline blade & I can see this razor rapidly climbing up my rankings.

9) Asylum RX / Feather Pro & Kai Mild

This is an enigma. Occasionally I get a close, comfortable shave with the RX, but most of the time I get a rough, tuggy shave, that is not very close. I will revisit the RX with a Proline, but I am not optimistic that even this would turn it into a usable tool. I think the problem is that I am a daily shaver & that the RX would probably work better for someone who shaves every 3 days or so.

Just curious, did you recommend the Hawk over the General because the General is sold out?

Just curious, did you recommend the Hawk over the General because the General is sold out?
No, I suggested the Hawk, as you said you were coming from using a very mild Feather AS-D2. The Hawk with a Proline blade is a fair bit more aggressive than the Feather & the General with the Proline is more aggressive than the Hawk. It depends how big a step up in aggression you want.

At least with the Hawk, if you find it too aggressive, you haven't wasted much money. If you find the Hawk too mild, you can up the aggression by using a Feather Pro Super, which is what I use in mine.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

The General will be available pretty soon according to this link.

You did not ask me, and I don't know anything about the Hawk except what I've read, but the SS General is a very good Artist Club razor, and a huge bargain for such a finely made stainless steel tool.

During my December to Remember Fixed Four, linked, the General was my only razor. Sometimes the Fixed Four was an interesting learning experience, which was the point of the exercise, but I was glad I'd picked the General for it.

FixedFourNicePolish+SR.JPG

My blade? The Proline.

I did not find the General aggressive at all. It is rather efficient compared to most razors I've used, but it is a smooth shaver (especially if you polish the cap like I did; see my thread for how; see the photo above for the shine) if you ride the cap, and shave at a shallow angle, which is how it should be used in my opinion. There should be almost no blade feel.

All razors can bite, but some are harsh, very prone to biting, are hard on your skin, and feel rough - these are what I call aggressive razors - they're maybe tough to learn and tougher to master. The General is not one of these in my experience. Of course, everybody can have a different view of anything, but this is mine.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
No, I suggested the Hawk, as you said you were coming from using a very mild Feather AS-D2. The Hawk with a Proline blade is a fair bit more aggressive than the Feather & the General with the Proline is more aggressive than the Hawk. It depends how big a step up in aggression you want.

At least with the Hawk, if you find it too aggressive, you haven't wasted much money. If you find the Hawk too mild, you can up the aggression by using a Feather Pro Super, which is what I use in mine.

Ahh OK, this is what I was hoping, thanks again will report back after my Prolines come in (returning the unopened Feathers and Kais). In terms of smoothness where does the Sabre fall for you out of the aluminum hawk, the SS general, and the Sabre?

The General will be available pretty soon according to this link.

You did not ask me, and I don't know anything about the Hawk except what I've read, but the SS General is a very good Artist Club razor, and a huge bargain for such a finely made stainless steel tool.

During my December to Remember Fixed Four, linked, the General was my only razor. Sometimes the Fixed Four was an interesting learning experience, which was the point of the exercise, but I was glad I'd picked the General for it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It seems like such a bargain and it is a looker to boot. I will almost definitely get the General as well, unless I get the Blackland Sabre. I've heard nothing but good reviews about it.

Ahh OK, this is what I was hoping, thanks again will report back after my Prolines come in (returning the unopened Feathers and Kais). In terms of smoothness where does the Sabre fall for you out of the aluminum hawk, the SS general, and the Sabre?
The General, the Hawk & the Sabre are all smooth shaving razors.

For me the General & Hawk are a tiny bit smoother than the Sabre L2, but this is probably due to the Proline blade versus the GEM PTFE blade, as I think the Proline is sharper. I have never used the milder Sabre L1 plate, which might be more to your taste.

Also, for me, the Sabre L2 is less efficient than the General, or Hawk, but it is still early days for me with the Sabre.

Good call in getting the Proline blades, they do seem to improve the shave in AC blade razors.

I stated my SE adventure with a Hawk V2 and really enjoyed it. Got nice close BBS shaves using Feather Proguard blades. That was until I started using the Asylum RX. Oh baby, that sucker is a different level of closeness. Don't ask me how you can get closer than BBS, but this is like silk on top of BBS. Just have to gush about my favorite razor. I was also able for the 1st time to get a BBS shave without any clean-up and no alum sting at all with it.

Have only tried the Black Hawk V2 with prolines and I do not like the shave. There's a lot of resistance as if I was trying to shave over Vaseline. Not sure if it's the blades or what, but I also find it too light. On to the next;

Have an ebarbershop O clone on its way with some twin blades. Also will buy the General, even though it is now $99 (50% increase!?)

Have only tried the Black Hawk V2 with prolines and I do not like the shave. There's a lot of resistance as if I was trying to shave over Vaseline. Not sure if it's the blades or what, but I also find it too light. On to the next;

Have an ebarbershop O clone on its way with some twin blades. Also will buy the General, even though it is now $99 (50% increase!?)
Do you thin your lather for SE? I didn't find the need using the Hawk, but when I started using the RX I noticed quite a bit of drag from the lather and started thinning it out a touch. I've heard this is common practice with straight razors and some SEs.

Do you thin your lather for SE? I didn't find the need using the Hawk, but when I started using the RX I noticed quite a bit of drag from the lather and started thinning it out a touch. I've heard this is common practice with straight razors and some SEs.

I don't burn will try that tonight before giving up on it. I'm using Sudsy Soapery which has a lot of butters and oils so it could be too thick.

Also will buy the General, even though it is now $99 (50% increase!?)
Actually the SS General originally sold for $65 back in Oct when it was introduced and I purchased mine... You might want to re-check your math on this one!! Considering the alternatives though for SS its pretty safe to say its at least 50% cheaper than their competitors, ATT, Cobra, Asylum, Mongoose, and Rocnel to name a few!!

Actually the SS General originally sold for $65 back in Oct when it was introduced and I purchased mine... You might want to re-check your math on this one!! Considering the alternatives though for SS its pretty safe to say its at least 50% cheaper than their competitors, ATT, Cobra, Asylum, Mongoose, and Rocnel to name a few!!

Half of $65=$32.50
$65+$32.50=$97.50
$97.50~$99

What am I missing?

Top Bottom