What's new

My First SE Shave!

I have just completed my first ever SE shave. Didn’t die!

I went with the SE from the Ever-Ready Bathroom Set, and a Gem SS blade (not PTFE). Stirling soap and splash. Rubberset 400 with a synthetic knot.

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4861.jpg

Holy. Crap.

I’m fairly new to wet shaving, having started DE shaving in January. I have picked up a few SE razors along the way. They look pretty aggressive, and I have sensitive skin. I didn’t think I would like the shave that they would provide.

Wrong.

This was one of my best shaves, hands down! The angle was more intuitive than I expected. No nicks, no weepers. Better yet? Irritation only in my normal trouble spot, and nowhere else. The feedback on this razor is intense. It’s really loud. That was a surprise!

Overall, I’m stoked that I decided to give an SE a go!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I have just completed my first ever SE shave. Didn’t die!

I went with the SE from the Ever-Ready Bathroom Set, and a Gem SS blade (not PTFE). Stirling soap and splash. Rubberset 400 with a synthetic knot.

View attachment 1027692

View attachment 1027693

Holy. Crap.

I’m fairly new to wet shaving, having started DE shaving in January. I have picked up a few SE razors along the way. They look pretty aggressive, and I have sensitive skin. I didn’t think I would like the shave that they would provide.

Wrong.

This was one of my best shaves, hands down! The angle was more intuitive than I expected. No nicks, no weepers. Better yet? Irritation only in my normal trouble spot, and nowhere else. The feedback on this razor is intense. It’s really loud. That was a surprise!

Overall, I’m stoked that I decided to give an SE a go!
Welcome to the sharp side of shaving -- as we SE-aficionados like to say!!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great stuff Todd. I am glad that it worked for you. My trouble with SE's is that I keep defaulting to the DE angle and finish up just scraping my face. The few times I got it correct the area of skin that was shaved was a good close shave. I just cannot keep the angle correct. Operator error, I cannot blame the tools.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I find that razor to be both more aggressive than a 1912 Gem, but also less irritating. Welcome to the SE life!

O.H.

eat stuff Todd. I am glad that it worked for you. My trouble with SE's is that I keep defaulting to the DE angle and finish up just scraping my face. The few times I got it correct the area of skin that was shaved was a good close shave. I just cannot keep the angle correct. Operator error, I cannot blame the tools.

Thank you, Andrew! I'm sorry to hear that they didn't work out for you. 😭 Keep trying!

I find that razor to be both more aggressive than a 1912 Gem, but also less irritating. Welcome to the SE life!

O.H.

Thank you! I was surprised given the razor's feedback. It sounded like a draggy bloodbath!

Well, I just bought a Micromatic for $4, so I am going to take inspiration from you. I use injectors, but this looks like a different animal to me.

Glad you like it! I am taking a break from SE while I play with some aggressive DEs I was able to acquire. Your write up is giving me the itch to pull a Gem out again! Thanks for sharing!!

Well, I just bought a Micromatic for $4, so I am going to take inspiration from you. I use injectors, but this looks like a different animal to me.

Woot! I have a few Injectors, but haven’t tried them yet. We’ll inspire each other!

Glad you like it! I am taking a break from SE while I play with some aggressive DEs I was able to acquire. Your write up is giving me the itch to pull a Gem out again! Thanks for sharing!!

You’re welcome! I’m going back to the well again now.

IMG_4913.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Congrats on the great shave @Gryffindor! I recently did the same as you and took the SE plunge. I've been DE and SR shaving since 2016 but never got into SE. I've had several in my collection and just decided to try it out and wow. my experience jas been much the same as yours. SE will now have a regular spot in my rotation...enjoy the shaves!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Congrats on the great shave @Gryffindor! I recently did the same as you and took the SE plunge. I've been DE and SR shaving since 2016 but never got into SE. I've had several in my collection and just decided to try it out and wow. my experience jas been much the same as yours. SE will now have a regular spot in my rotation...enjoy the shaves!

Thank you, Brandon!

Top Bottom