What's new

My First Restore!

Well, admittedly the blade was in pretty decent shape from the start, so maybe rescale would have been a better word.

Anyway, this was my first straight that I bought cheap from Larry at Whippeddog and it shaves well. Unfortunately the scales were cracked and I decided to make some new by myself. This is the first time in decades that I do something that involves shaping any material...

Anyway, I sanded the blade from 240 and all the way to 2500 grit paper by hand and finished with Autosol and a cotton rag.

The scales I cut from 3 mm yellow plexiglass, the wedge in the same material. The curvature of the scales are one area I am not 100% satisfied with, just as I need to spend some more time on the pinning, it is not very even at the moment. I also might need to polish the ball end of the peening hammer.

Big thanks to Legion for the DIY acrylic and peening tutorials. I am certain It would not have been as easy without those!

Attachments

• $IMG_0269.jpg
    $IMG_0269.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 190
  • $IMG_0415.jpg
    $IMG_0415.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 191
  • $IMG_0420.jpg
    $IMG_0420.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 189
  • $IMG_0424.jpg
    $IMG_0424.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 189
Thanks guys!

I would love to work in wood as well, but in a small Hong Kong apartment I have barely space for a Dremel and even then I have to put it away when its not in use. I work in the kitchen or my small office desk...

Acrylics got lovely strong colors though. I have been looking around here in Hong Kong for thinner, maybe 0,7 to 1 mm thick ones so that I could layer different colors but no success. I guess I should be lucky to have found this shop where I can buy as small pieces as i like.

Very nice! I really like those acrylic scales.

This reminds me, I have a old Bengall waiting for me when i visit home in Sweden in September! ;)

Last edited:
that rocks! love that yellow. I wouldn't have thought so, but it's growing on me very quickly. How close does the point get to the wedge? it looks like it's quite precise. I didn't have the guts to cut it that close with my first.

T

true01

Looks good I like the yellow. Keep it up it becomes addicting.

Yes, i was lucky. It's a nice warm yellow, not the bluish cold one!
I got lucky that day when I stumbled on the shop!

To be honest, the point gets too close to the wedge for my comfort, but it does clear it with a mm or maybe a bit less... I was lucky, It might just as well have been too close instead! It does look very neat with so close fit though. A very compact feeling that matches the shape of the blade and scales.

that rocks! love that yellow. I wouldn't have thought so, but it's growing on me very quickly. How close does the point get to the wedge? it looks like it's quite precise. I didn't have the guts to cut it that close with my first.

Nice work Stefan. I am trying to learn restoration as well and these posts always help. Thank you for sharing.

Regards Todd

Nice looking job! I like those blunt tips too. I haven't made scales yet but I hope my first set turns out so well.

Thanks!

I actually ended up putting new scales on the W&B I got from you as well, my hands are not the biggest and I wanted some that mede it easier to handle ;) Ease of handling succeeded, just as more or less matching the curve in the smiling spine to the scales but Im not that happy about the overall aesthetics, lets see if there is enough light for a pic later today.

Nice transformation!

Ok, so this is the second one, A 13/16 smiling W&B, Scales are this time made of purple transparent acrylic with a black wedge.

Didn't turn out that well this time, I managed to get quite a sharp bend on the scales close to the nose. Would have evened it out a bit if I could, but if i remove more material the point will peek through. I did manage to get a nice tight fit again between nose and wedge and the blade is quite well centered so I will probably keep it like this for now - after all it feels nice in the hand so thats enough for now.

As soon as I get time I will get some more acrylic for a GD I have lying around.

Attachments

• $Evernote 20110822 12:54:13.jpg
    $Evernote 20110822 12:54:13.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom