What's new

My first restoration: Wade & Butcher FBU 7/8

So, first off I really want to thank Keith @Gamma his videos is what inspired me, helped me, and got me into razor restoring.
I have restored a few razors now, but this was the first one I did, and I thought I would post it.
It's a Wade & Butcher FBU, 7/8 blade, I got it on ebay a few months back for a decent price.
This is by no means a perfect restoration, but I learned a lot along the way, and I had a lot of fun.
I am proud of the result considering it is my very first restoration.

Here is the razor when I got it in:
1.jpg

Here is the razor after I took it apart:
9.jpg

Sanded the blade and Wedge with 240 and 600 WD:
2.jpg

The scales got treated with hornoxy, this was way overkill, and I had to sand most of it off, it did however fill in a few cracks on the inside of the scales.
3.jpg

The scales were sanded with 240, 600 and 1000 WD, after the sanding I oiled them, this is how they turned out:
4.jpg

And here are some pics after I pinned the razor, I forgot to take pics when I was pinning it together.
6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

I wouldn't be unhappy with that outcome. Did you only sand the blade to 600 grit to keep the 'historic' look?
I suspect the previous owner had done some sort of polishing to the blade considering how shiny it is, all I needed to do was sand the pivot/tail and tang area.
But I don't really like shiny mirror polished blades, so I would not have gone above 600 either way I think

Top Bottom