What's new

My First Restoration/Scale/Pinning/Honing/Shorty.

Grinding with a dremel. I'm working on a modification of a gold dollar right now. Grinding isn't that hard as long as you cool the blade.

Glad the jb weld worked out. That's usually my go to for holes that are too big.

The way he worded it that's what it sounds like.
Cool. I'll do that now. I was freaking out trying to understand what he was saying. I did notice the edge running into the heel and figured that couldn't be good, but didn't know there was a remedy for it. Lol is there a certain point to which I should be grinding? To make it look like I know what I'm doing? [emoji3]
Still waiting on my washers, just put my 2nd coat of polyurethane to the scales.

I ground the heel down, progression sanded and buffed. The edge is now about 3/32" from the spine. After setting the bevel, it should be closer to 1/32".

$uploadfromtaptalk1434736521142.jpg

That's good. It's really what you want. When I'm modding I generally completely take out the shoulders and heel stabilizer. Round it out to a nice thumb notch.

That's good. It's really what you want. When I'm modding I generally completely take out the shoulders and heel stabilizer. Round it out to a nice thumb notch.
Awesome. What do you do with the jibbing on those with it? What's the treatment on that blade? Like an acid drop?

Quick update on the project...
While sanding and leveling the polyurethane coating, I burned through the stain and exposed a small amount of wood. So I sanded both scales back down to bare wood, stained and poly coated again. Coat #2 tomorrow morning, and another one in the evening.
Still waiting on my washers.
I also had my new ball pein hammer come in from Snap On. A 4oz. The ball end had a slight edge on it, so I progression sanded and polished it.[emoji4]

If you decide the 4 oz is too much try have two oz ones at hobby lobby. If you have a hobby lobby. Any craft store usually has them. I will generally start with the flat end of the 4oz then move to the round end of the 2oz. But I will say peining is not my strongest quality.

As an aside you may have to take some 1500-2000 sandpaper and flitz or mothers to it. Imperfections in the hammer transfer to the peens

If you decide the 4 oz is too much try have two oz ones at hobby lobby. If you have a hobby lobby. Any craft store usually has them. I will generally start with the flat end of the 4oz then move to the round end of the 2oz. But I will say peining is not my strongest quality.
Yeah I ordered a 2oz from a jewelers' supply, which should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I polished the ball end of the 4oz, I'll probably do the same with the 2oz. Just to ensure I'm not stamping a pattern into my pins. Thanks for the help!

Thank you for your input. I started to hone it after breadknifing it to correct the frown and noticed that the edge was running into the heel, but wasn't quite sure how to correct it.
I picked up some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper because I saw some micro scratches that my camera picked up with the flash, so I have something to keep me busy while I wait on my washers from Micro Fasteners. They seem to be taking a while.

I finally got my washers in last night, and this is my first attempt at pinning. I'm going to practice a bit more before drilling the scales. The scales have to sit for 3 days with the spray poly I applied before final polish. It's been a slow process, but it's coming along. Keep trying to convince myself not to rush through it.

$uploadfromtaptalk1435179873700.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hah! I like the frog spots! Howd u do that... acid etch? You got me thinking tiger or zebra stripes, now!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I use a tablespoon for whacking pin heads. I add a small amount of Red Hand (an epoxy putty we use on ships a lot for filler type repairs) into the bowl of the spoon for just the right heft.

Top Bottom