What's new

My First Restoration/Scale/Pinning/Honing/Shorty.

Intrigued? I've been thinking about restoring this old Telephone Koken & Boppert razor I bought on theBay for 9 bucks. The blade was horribly frowned, and it appeared that someone had practiced honing on it, as the toe had a ridiculous amount of spine wear. The hinge pin was loose, the scales were chipped celluloid. I didn't want to just throw it out and count it as a loss. Instead, I could make it my first. My first EVERYTHING.

I decided that I would cut the toe out of the equation completely and make this blade something of a shorty. First, I drilled the center of the hinge pin out and removed the scales. Next, I used a Sharpie pen to design a new profile. I always thought the look of a barbers notch looked neat, so why not? I used a cut-off wheel on a pneumatic die grinder to cut the blade flat, about 1/8" from the profile, making sure to keep the blade wet the whole time. Next, I used an 80 grit Roloc sanding disc to roughly grind out the profile and get it to the general shape I wanted. Finally, I used a Roloc brown polishing disc on the die grinder to finalize the shape and even it up throughout. I used a progression from 180-1500 grit emery and wet/dry sandpaper with soapy water as a lubricant. I then used Mother's Aluminum and Mag polish with my Dremel, chucked up with a 1/2" Wool polishing wheel. I went over the blade, spine and tang until everything was uniform. I didn't touch the stamp side of the tang much, for fear of ruining the unique stamp on it, which is probably the only reason I kept this razor in the first place.
proxy.php

I've been about making my own scales, and making a shorty, I really have no other choice. So I'm looking around the garage, looking for materials to make my scales out of, and I came across a paint stick. Just your standard Home Depot paint stirring stick that they throw in with a gallon of paint. The wheels in my head are doing a burn out at this point. I quickly measure it- 1/8". Perfect. So I hit the sketch book, traced my blade, and designed a new set of scales around that, keeping in mind the needed space for the wedge and pin placement. I xeroxed that design, cut it out, and traced it on the paint stick twice. I don't have a band saw just yet, so hand tools had to suffice. A cutoff wheel within about 1/16" of the outline, sandwiched the pieces together with some Alex caulk, clamped together, and left to dry for a couple hours. Once the caulk dried, I went to work sanding the profile out and rounding the edges off. Sanded both sides to 600 grit, used a razor blade to separate the two pieces, and removed the excess caulk, which was really easy. I wanted to have a differently colored wedge as the rest the scales, so I went ahead and stained the scales. I used MinWax Dark Walnut, 3 coats, and waited until the wedge was placed to poly coat. For the wedge, I used a door frame shim. I cut the shim somewhere around the middle, set the blade in place and marked where the blade would swing, going from the closed to the fully opened position. I marked a line 1/16" from this line, traced it on the shim piece, sanded it to match, and used a CA glue to secure the shim to the inside of one of the scales. I then used the already existing plane to create a wedge. With it secured to the scale, I laid a piece of sandpaper on my bench, and gradually sanded it down to the desired height. I then trimmed the wedge to conform to the scales, but not completely flush with it just yet, so as to ensure they're flush on both sides once the scales are pinned.
proxy.php

And that's where I am now. I'm currently waiting on my nickel steel rod and washers I ordered online, so I'll update as soon as I get those and practice pinning a little. I bought a little 2 oz jewellers' ball peen hammer for this purpose, let's hope it works out ok. I have a set of stones a bought off of eBay, but I'm unsure what grit any of them are, so I'll probably set the bevel and wait until I can afford some proper stones. All said at this point, a have a total of $30 in this project, including the blade. Any questions, concerns, and certainly criticism are greatly appreciated and welcome!

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1434647667162.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1434647667162.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 166
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1434647705363.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1434647705363.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 167
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1434647740231.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1434647740231.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 167
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1434647856377.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1434647856377.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 170
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1434647877266.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1434647877266.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 166
I just got my pins in from Maggard, 1/16" Nickel Silver rod. So excitedly, I unpackaged and fit one of the pins into the blade. I get this:
proxy.php

From everything I've read, 1/16 is the common pin size. Will the pin swell inside the hole in the tang to take up most of the play, or do I need a larger size pinning material?

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1434649650986.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1434649650986.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 167
I've had good luck with putting steel weld in the hole and wiping it flush. Let it dry and re drill. That or get a 3/32 hollow brass rod and push it into the hole. Then put the 1/16 rod through.

Looks good so far! I love restorations. I look forward to seeing the end result

Nice job.

The pin/hole play is OK, most older razors have it, no need to fill it in.

When you make the wedge just make sure you have enough clearance when the blade is pushed forward on the pin.

Another option is to just leave it as is. The scales will pinch together enough that you won't feel it wiggle around unless you try to. Just a thought. I've done that before with decent results

Thanks, guys, for your response and kind words. I generally wouldn't be too concerned with the pin hole play, but I was able to fit a 1/8" roll pin punch in it just out of curiosity. My drill blanks are at work, so I'm not sure the exact size, but it really never crossed my mind check the size of the hole. Or it might have briefly... ADD strikes again. If there's one think that would bother me to no end, it's going to be the sloppiness in the hinge pin. The hole doesn't appear to be work to one side more than the other, it's just... Bigger. I may shim it with a roll pin and sand it flush.

Did you use a particular width:length ratio?
For the scales? Actually, what I did was measured another razor for reference to pin placement, tang protrusion, etc. I traced the actual blade with a mechanical pencil and marked where the pin hole was. I measured from the pinhole 1/4" and made a sweeping arc to make a rough idea where the end of the scale will sit. I then drew a straight line from the widest part of the spine to the aforementioned "sweeping arc". I accounted an additional 3/8" for the wedge and blade clearance, 1/16" being the clearance. I then drew another straight line down from that to create the wedge end. From there, another straight line to the sweeping arc. To account for blade protrusion, I used my metal rule and, staking both ends, bent the rule in the middle to create a curved line. First, to make sure there was 1/16" clearance for the blade at it's widest point to the bottom of the scale, and secondly, because it looks a lot better and more well-suited for a hollow ground in my opinion. I then created a curved line for the top in the same fashion. The wedge end was free handed in the same manner as the hinge end. Hope this helps, or that I didn't delve into an answer that you didn't ask a question about, for$uploadfromtaptalk1434657906275.jpg that matter. Lol

i meant the blade, but nice answer
Lol sorry about that.
No, for the blade, I just cut it where I thought it would look good. All said, I took 1 inch off the end. For the notch, I used the spine as a guide and simply mimicked other notches I've seen, making sure to keep it even from a front-facing view.

Nice job so far!
Looks like you're making great progress!
Can't wait to see the finished product and get a shave report.

Pete <:-}

So I got my spring pin assortment here at work and 3/32" fits the hole perfectly. I figured I'd use one of these as a sort of shim. And the 1/16" rod fits through it perfectly.... Until I drive the spring pin into the tang. It compresses the pin enough that the rod no longer fits. I had the idea to use a drill bit to effectively remove some material from the inside of the pin, but as the drill makes it's way around, the cutting edge catches the edge of the spring pin and turns the razor blade into a sort of... Projectile. So I took jKyro's advice and filled the hole with JB Weld. I let it cure, baked it at 350 for 2 hours to ensure hardness, cleaned off the excess and drilled a 5/64" hole through it, leaving .015625" clearance around the pin. Test fit on the pin now feels magnificent. Waiting on my washers now. Time to poly coat the scales and progression sand the repair area.$uploadfromtaptalk1434676580561.jpg

Very cool. might want to consider relaxing the heel a bit, judging by the photo, it looks like it's running into the edge a bit.

Top Bottom