What's new

My First Restoration Project - A Garibaldi 201

My neighbor is an antique scrounger and seller. He's twenty something years old and is profiting well into 5 figures now. I asked him to keep an eye out for razors and to keep him interested I bought one of his first finds. It was in rough shape but I wanted him to keep looking. Figured for $10 it was a good blade for a first restoration attempt.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome. Funny comments are appreciated too.

Here's what the thing looked like when he showed it to me.
DSCN1601 - Garibaldi 201 - front.jpg DSCN1602 - Garibaldi 201 - back.jpg

After some tooth paste and tooth brush work it looked like this.
SP Garibaldi 1.jpg SP Garibaldi 2.jpg SP Garibaldi 3.jpg

After the first sanding session ( 180 to 240 grit)... I used a Dremel with a wire brush to clean out the pits. I've decided that they are too deep to remove and still be able to hone the razor given my newbie honing skills.
Garibaldi-First Sanding Session 1.jpg Garibaldi-First Sanding Session 2.jpg

The second sanding session went to 400 grit.
Garibaldi-Second Sanding Session 1.jpg Garibaldi-Second Sanding Session 2.jpg

Last edited:
It's a rany morning in NH so the Garibaldi got some TLC.
2500 and 3000 grit were used first. Then, instead of just a rinse between grits, I used a nylon brush to insure all the bits of grit were off the blade. No. 9 rubbing compound, followed by the nylon brush, finished it off.

End results with a following question...
  • As expected, some of the pitting remains. Removing all of it would have bitten too deep into the blade. (At least in terms of my present skills.)
  • The blade shined up well. It shows its age in a great way. Lots of character and no bleeding wounds...

Question - Should I set the bevel before or after pinning the scales?

Garibaldi-Fourth Sanding Session 1.jpg Garibaldi-Fourth Sanding Session 2.jpg

I set bevel first then maybe next stone. After pinning I do final polishing and stropping. I found when doing all the blade work with the scales I worry bout the moisture and grime in the pivot area. Nice blade. My Garibaldi was almost pure rust. It cleaned up nice but has pitting. It is one of my top shavers . Good luck and nice job.

Great find! We don't see too many Garibaldis around here, for some reason. I have a #200. I think it's really a #13 blank, and is one of my favorite razors. Good luck with your project!

I finished off on this rainy NH Monday. Lapping film and a thick glass plate used throughout...

Pinning was easy. No hassles, no problems! Very high tech set-up used for the pinning. My favorite claw hammer turns out to be a fine anvil. Vice grips held the pin while I peened one end. The washers were cooperative. A good old stainless steel soup spoon acted as the hammer. Lots of light taps did the trick!
  • 12 micron to set the bevel
  • 5 micron
  • 3 micron
  • 1 micron
  • .3 micron
  • .3 micron with a paper cushion
  • 25 laps on rough leather
  • 100 laps on smooth leather
This is the first time I used .3 micron lapping film. It left a crazy sharp edge. The stropping smoothed it out nicely. Excellent first shave! I like the blade.

Better picture coming soon. The blade is shinny throughout. No discoloration anywhere. Best of all it delivered a fine, comfortable shave.

Garibaldi-Scaled and Honed 1.jpg

Top Bottom